No announcement yet.

Jdub goes there 1981 650e rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh, that’s too bad. I don’t know how you come back from that. The removed material from the top of the head is now making your cam caps pinch the cams tight and your cam journals are no longer in aligmnent. Others may have some better advice. I think I’d be looking for a new (used) head complete with cam caps.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Even if I could somehow hone the journal and cap bearings to freely spin the cams, I'd be looking at a full set of thinner shims and no guarantees.
      I can clearly see that the caps can rock to either side with the cams installed. I measured a 0.33mm gap when pressed down flush on one side, so I'm about 0.165 mm from the cap being flush to the surface.
      If I had the bearings honed evenly, the camshafts would drop down by about 0.08mm. With my smallest shim being 2.55mm, that would become a 2.45mm shim if my math is correct.
      The question is how would the journals respond to the additional 0.16mm gap?
      ​I saw a discussion where a gs450 owner had the same issue, but thinks he lost enough material by using a brush tool designed for gasket removal. He ended up replacing the head.

Comment

The way I understand it is the cam journals/caps are line bored together from the side at the factory, so each set of caps is mated to the exact position in a specific head. Well you've got practice at cleaning up and painting engine parts. What's one more head? Now to find a good used head w/ caps.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by jdub6092 View Post
          I now think I know why I have binding on the camshafts.
          The machine guy I had repair the damaged valve cover bolt threads, said he decked the top of the head also because of scratches resulting from attempts to remove the broken bolts.
          I cleaned up the journal bearings and cap surfaces with wd40 and 5000 grit sandpaper. I can finger tight the bolts and the camshafts still move with a small amount of resistance. As soon as I tighten them up further, the camshaft wont budge.
          So close to the finish line.

20240823_200258.jpg
          Any reputable machine shop would know better than to do that!

Your "machine guy" should be buying you another head IMHO!
          Ron
          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/core/images/smilies/cool.png
          1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
          1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
          1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Well, it's amazing how many folks in machine shops don't know much about motorcycles. Guessing they did get the surface flat, just a little too low, and never had clue they messed up.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by jdub6092 View Post
              I now think I know why I have binding on the camshafts.
              The machine guy I had repair the damaged valve cover bolt threads, said he decked the top of the head also because of scratches resulting from attempts to remove the broken bolts.

Your machinist is a moron.
              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Unfortunate, this guy had a reputation for quality work.
                He recommended a mechanic who said he has had success at using valve lapping compound and spinning the cams by hand. However, he said he hasn't had to grind off as much as .16mm before.
                Since I'm looking at a new head, I figured I'd give it a try myself. Doing it in increments. Seems to work. I can tighten the caps down a little more each time before it binds. The journals remain quite smooth.

Anyway, I got the wiring completed and everything except for the untested charging system checks out. Likely to need a turn signal relay as it is hit and miss on blinking.
                Front brakes bled and grab very nice just rolling down the driveway. Suspension (front) seemed a bit soft.
                Must have made a mistake on the rear master rebuild, so will try again. Internal parts are new. Think I may have forgotten to lube the rubber as it doesn't push back smoothly.

Going to take a break for a few weeks and refresh.

Comment

There was absolutely no reason for him to machine the entire top of the head, all that was needed was to dress up the course of the sealing face, but that would have taken time and effort. The milling machine, the way he did it, was just left on its own to get on with the job, utter laziness, and moronic.
                  As a matter of interest, just how bad were the dings and marks? I'd bet they were easily filed smooth and filled in with steel putty.
                  ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    There was absolutely no reason for him to machine the entire top of the head, all that was needed was to dress up the course of the sealing face, but that would have taken time and effort. The milling machine, the way he did it, was just left on its own to get on with the job, utter laziness, and moronic.
                    As a matter of interest, just how bad were the dings and marks? I'd bet they were easily filed smooth and filled in with steel putty.
                    There was one bolt hole that required welding and another couple where i attached a vice grip to see if i could remove the broken bolts. I scratched it up, but really just surface scratches and nothing too deep.. i think the extra material from the weld was the main reason he did it. Probably could have carefully filed it down and sanded to blend in.

20240826_094156.jpg What still can be with my old tank. Have an NOS tank taht will be added.
                    If I look at this while Im taking my break, maybe it will motivate me to get over the cam issue and get this thing done.

Comment

Back after a 3 week tour of Eastern Europe.
                      Was set up to purchase a new head on EBAY after making an agreement with the seller to delay the shipment.
                      Then my small shoulder bag with wallet, cards, cash, drivers license, passport and spare phone was stolen in Lithuania. Included the credit card I would be using.
                      Then someone purchased the head as I had to cancel my credit and debit cards.

I ended up stuck in Vilnius, Lithuania for four days waiting to get an emergency passport while my family continued on to Estonia and Hungary. Was Labor Day weekend, so embassy staff took off early on the Friday it happened and took the three day weekend as well with no staff available.
                      What a cushy job. They work 2 hours in the morning, take a 90 minute lunch, then 2 more hours in the afternoon.
                      Luckily, I was able to get the emergency passport on Tuesday before they left for the day. Then straight to the airport to Budapest, Hungary through Frankfurt, Germany to meet up with my family. Could have used the $2k hit to make my bike show ready.

Anyway, I'm going to first see if I can grind down the cam bearings with lapping compound. If that doesn't work, there are a couple more heads available on the bay.
                      Last edited by jdub6092; 09-14-2024, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X