My 1982 GS 450 - journal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

project journal - valve day

Tonight I cracked open the valve cover. Unfortunately i have a bolt that is rusted into the head and broken off, fortunately it's sticking a few mm out of the head, enough to grab hold of it with vice grips. I'm leaving it alone for now. it's very stuck. Tomorrow I'll get a torch from the auto parts store. right now the stub is soaking in pb blaster. Don't have a welder unfortunately. so i can't weld a nut on it. I do work with someone who maybe could do that for me if it comes down to that.

The rest of the bolts were torqued properly. One other bolt was rusty but i was able to get it out and clean out the hole.

it looks nice and clean on the inside. the oil is light amber, like the oil was changed and never ran after that.

here are my measurements of valve clearance. My smallest feeler gauge is .02mm and i have them in .01mm increments. does this look right?

"driver" side:
    intake:
    clearance: less than .02mm
    shim: 2.50mm
    shim needed: 2.45mm

exhaust:
    clearance less than .02mm
    shim: 2.65
    shim needed: 2.6mm

"passenger" side:
    intake LT .05mm, exhaust LT .05mm
    no adjustment required

I may be the first person to crack into the valves on this bike. Is it normal for valves to have different shims from the factory?

also it's my understanding that valve clearances usually tend to tighten over time, is that right? I don't really understand that. is it from the camshafts wearing into the bearings?

---

everything else is on order that i've discovered so far. needle & seat, intake boot o-rings, and sh775 box should be here in the next couple days, hopefully tomorrow. also in the mail still: tires, brake shoes, throttle cable, valve cover gasket (oem at that!), some new bolts for the valve cover.

just need to obtain a couple of shims and a new turn signal relay. probably also need some o-rings for the float bowl drain plugs. i'll find out if it leaks i guess.

i also checked out the chain. the adjuster was all the way in when i took the wheel off, so it's clearly a new chain. I measured and it appears to be a 530 chain. it's dirty but it's oiled with no binding links or anything.

phew! well it's coming along at least. as long as the stator and ignition system are ok still, I hope this will have me up and running. I need to run tests on those. i want to put a dyna on at some point.

i'm a little concerned about the wiring in general. the small gauge red wire with the fuse on it was getting pretty warm when i had the battery plugged in and the headlight on. there's a bullet connector on that wire that i tried cleaning up some. maybe once i wire in the 775 box and put a led headlight in, it will be a little happier.

the last todo list item for the moment: the 'driver' spark plug looks pretty rich and the 'passenger' plug looks really lean. i'm hoping that cleaning the carbs and replacing the intake orings fixes that but i also need to get the stuff to check the sync.

that's it for tonight, thanks for reading
    1982 GS450 txz

Comment

Valve clearance gets tighter as the valve wears itself deeper into the valve seat
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

before i lose it again. carb o-ring sizes on a bs34ss

"For your emulsion tube, you need a 1.1mm x 3.1mm (cross section by ID). I've tried O-rings that were extremely close, and they would not get the job done. I've seen this O-ring available at parts outlets like Beach Blvd. The Suzuki part number is 09280-03003, and its current price is $1.40 at Beach. This particular O-ring has to be spot on to provide the proper interference fit to hold the emulsion tube in place.

The adjustment screw takes a 1.25mm x 3.8mm. This one shouldn't be too tough to find.​"

drain plug o-ring is Item #: 13249-41310​ size unknown
        1982 GS450 txz

Comment

Alright, did some work on the bike today. She's been lying on her belly for over a month now. But I finally got the wheels back on! She's a roller again! I managed to get it back up on the center stand by tipping her over onto a stack of pillows and tipping it back up onto a floor jack. Thankfully she's not too heavy especially with no wheels.​

I struck out twice trying to find new brake shoes for er. My bike, the TXZ, has spoked wheels which use an older size shoe that was mainly used in the 60's-70's, mine being the last year model to run them. Pretty difficult to find and expensive. Third time's a charm though, ebay special. I swear there's gotta be like half a dozen sets of those shoes left on earth! I'm glad to know now that you can get them re-padded, I saved the old shoes.

I boogered up that valve cover bolt pretty bad that's stuck in the head. At least I know my limits now; it's gonna take a drill press to fix it. I'm gonna "pretend I didn't see that" and see if I can just goop rtv around that area and get her running for the time being until I can get the top end off and fix it properly, maybe this winter. So I just jammed that cam cover back on and called it a day.

Polish_20240717_204138154-sm.jpg
          1982 GS450 txz

Comment

I put some of her clothes back on and took another pic for morale she's a beaut
            Polish_20240717_205719639-sm.jpg
            1982 GS450 txz

Comment

i just found my bike on the forum already
              1982 GS450 txz

Comment

Today I accomplished my goal of hearing motorcycle noises! She ran! Started right up. I had problems though.

I have a high hanging idle issue. It goes straight to 4000rpm's and won't come down.

I messed with it a little bit but mostly read the forums.

- although the intake boots look ok, the rubber is peeling off of the metal backing plate. I'll get another set of boots. also the clamps seem stretched and bottom out.
                - the weather stripping on the airbox lid is severely deteriorated. That's another suspicion I have.
                - I also will take the carbs back off and make sure the float heights are set correctly. I didn't do it right.

one odd thing I noticed. The one instance where it seemed to run ok - was when I forgot to reattach the petcock vacuum line to the carb. It was idling at a more normal rpm, and the throttle response was working more as expected. Although a bit slow to come down. Which my understanding is that this would cause a vacuum leak on #1 carb. but it would also be only using fuel from the bowls, which makes me think floats aren't right. but a bit strange that a vacuum leak would cause the idle to come down ... i'll have to investigate this more. maybe the carbs are just severely out of sync, or there's a much larger air leak on carb2 than carb1 and inducing a leak on carb1 lets them both run more evenly.

curious stuff. but I was happy to hear the engine run. it sounded half decent to me, when it wasn't revving to the moon.

advice appreciated!

intake boot on the 'passenger' cylinder :
                intakeboot.jpg

1982 GS450 txz

Comment

IF the carbs are way out of sync, things will come to normal-ish as they get closer. You might still have an air leak or other problems, though.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    IF the carbs are way out of sync, things will come to normal-ish as they get closer. You might still have an air leak or other problems, though.
                    yea i guess i'll find out. i was gonna mess with the sync a little and see what happened, it being a twin i figured it can't hurt to just twist the knob and see what happens. But I didn't have time today. i stayed up way too late reading and overslept. thru my research last night i learned that someone before me may have put a cheapo carb kit in my bike. That is, if it's true that all mikuni jets are stamped; mine have no markings. so all bets are off in that department. I definitely wasn't fond of the needle jet they used with the rubber tip. it got smashed up into the jet and the tip was deformed.

i have some parts on the way to work on the air leaks, a carb tuner, a fancy caliper to measure the floats, and some other stuff to try. i'll definitely take a second look at the pilot jets and stuff...
                    1982 GS450 txz

Comment

Jets with no markings???? now that'll got'ta really make you scratch your head don't it?
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                      X