Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

76 GS750 project

HI all! Welcome to my intro post / ongoing project

A coworker of mine found out I used to ride and know how to do *things* so he picked up this GS750 and gave it to me as a project. $37 after fees on k-bid.
    image.png

The motor turned with the kick starter, and away we go

First off, the starter wouldn't engage. Turns out the intermediate gear was on backwards. Corrected that and it turns!

Next, the stator was missing and flywheel was grenaded. So off to eBay

Next up is a carb rebuild.

Off the IV fuel tank, it fired up on 2 cylinders. Swapping the condensers to the other points had the other two cylinders firing, so to Amazon for a hall effect ignition module. After that, we had fire on all 4. It was a little smokey with the cylinders full of Marvel Mystery

Next up was a carb balance, and we have a smooth idle.

After that I rebuilt the rear brake caliper and master, and got some rear brake going. Swapped the front triple and added the second front brake from the GS750E

*star wars speeder noises*​

Also, got the no-title auction bike titled and registered!

After that it was time for a test ride. It did well down the street and back (about 100 yards) with no air in the rear tire. Tires were, by my best guess, from '87 and '90

BT 46's on​

It didn't run great over 1/2 throttle. Apparently you have to tighten those jets!

I put the original parts in the ultrasonic and put them in with new o-rings instead of the aftermarket rebuild kit. Running strong now!

Pounded some dents from the front fender

Gave it a wash and a LED headlight
    ​​

Unpictured: fixed a rats nest of wiring and got an ignition switch for it - someone had rewired it with a tractor/ag key switch!

I've put about 10 miles on it but found that:
    a. the bezos-mart petcock uses a smaller nipple than stock for vacuum and it fell off - leaving me dead in the water until I put it on prime
    b. the battery didn't like being used so much without charging, so no dice when I was on the road with the above issue. Lucky for the kick starter!
    c. I have a stiff link in the chain. I'm going with 520 chain as the replacement (ah, technology has come a long way) and waiting on parts

Future plans involve the Polaris R/R, a valve adjustment, putting some patina-shine on the tank and riding the *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ out of her​

​​
    ​​

Comment

Not sure why the pictures are so small in the original post
      1.jpg

Comment

As it sits
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

May be figuring this out?
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I give up. enjoy the tiny pictures above.

Comment

Good Work.
              Using this site to host your pics limits the size and only one pic per post. We don't have the space. Clues to better picture posting and up to 10 pics in a post linked in my signature. It involves hosting your pictures on another pic hosting site like Imgur, Flickr, or ImgBB, copying the BBCode and pasting in your post. Go to post # 6 in this thread linked below:

Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by theturbomrt View Post
                May be figuring this out?
                #4 way to lean.
                GS1000G '81

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenzo View Post

#4 way to lean.
                  The FLIR gets really touchy, at that point I was excited that all 4 were warm! Lots of changes since then.

Comment

Turns out the hose on my compression gauge is leaky - used a different hose and I'm in spec for cold compression across the board now
                    cold 1 2 3 4
                    Compression (PSI) 115 118 113 120
                    Attached Files

Comment

Valves were all in spec
                      Exhaust 1 2 3 4
                      Spec 0.06 0.08 0.04 0.06
                      [0.03-0.08mm] 0.04 0.06 0.06 0.06
                      Intake 1 2 3 4
                      ​​

Comment

Working...