1979 gs850 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 gs850 build

• First off, this post is going to look a little weird. I started sharing all this in the GS owners under my Hello. Please be patient with me and I will get it figured out.

​I have parts coming from every direction and am working on the filter box and a donor set of carbs I am learning on. The filter box almost sent me straight to pods, but I have decided to bring it back to life. I admittingly love the look and convenances of the pods but am also a fan of a true stock/classic look of anything vintage with a motor. Natural beauty applies to motor vehicles of all kinds for me. The carbs are from a donor bike, and I am using them as a way to become familiar with them. They are seized and in bad shape, but I have started the process of saving them also.

This is why I ask for your favorite source and or brands of parts. oem and nos is not available for everything Sadley, but I am sourcing as much as I can and I am reading plenty (drinking from a firehose really) of what is posted and published but some links are dead, and some parts or services are no longer available where they once where it seems. Thankful so many of you are still here building these and sharing knowledge.

• .................................................. ......Quote
    • I just about got the filter box squared away, lots of sanding scraping and wire brushing to remove the rust and whatever was once used to seal it up. I only knocked of loose and peeling sealant as it is solid. the inside got a few light coats of flex seal and the exterior got what was left from a dura coat rattle can. polished the chrome, cleaned mounting surface for rubber strip, and she is just about done.
      Attached Files
      • Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9871.jpg Views:	49 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	1747923
    • The donor carbs or guinea pigs as I call them. one had missing parts the other three are all there. I really hope I can get them freed up and rebuilt.
      I was able to free the donor bikes carb slides today at lunch, pb blaster and free where both used to lube the carbs for nearly a week. i was expecting them to be in horrible shape but to my Suprise i think these are rescue worthy.

Big thanks to Nessism for the Orings and r/r. man it looks great! I really appreciate it.

also, if you zoom in on top left you can see the screws cleaned up nicely, as did the left carb cover. What polish or cleaner do you guys like for the carbs? I have been trying to do a little each night and man it feels great. I am going on a family vacation soon and literality thought about bringing the carbs ha ha ha . but I decided the wife and kids should get some undivided attention while on vacation.

Preview attachment IMG_9909.jpg

• .................................................. .............
      More pics and progress to come soon. I am currently trying to source new braided brake lines; I am willing to build them also. what brands have you guys used before, or do you recommend?
Working...
X