‘82 GS850 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘82 GS850 Project

Hello, all. I recently wrapped up my 850 project and thought I’d do a quick write up of the journey. This was the first GS I’ve worked on, and this forum has been immensely helpful for figuring out the GS quirks (i.e. Stator Papers), so thank you all.

I began with a real pile of junk. It had more holes in the tank than metal, had a fresh coat of BRUSHED on metallic blue paint, but was complete. I was told by the seller that it was kept in a barn- he did not mention that the barn had burnt down around the bike, leaving the Suzuki cartoonishly surrounded by ash and rubble. I took it home anyways.

The real work started with a top end rebuild: new rings, cylinder hone, all new gaskets and seals, etc. Somebody had previously tried to clean the carbs with a hammer, as the bodies were all badly cracked. eBay saved the day with a new set of old carb bodies. I borrowed a friend’s ultrasonic cleaner to get the jets and carbs good and clean.

The oil pan nearly gave me a heart attack when I removed it- full of shattered clutch debris. A previous owner had installed all new clutch plates but not cleaned out the old junk. It must have never ran like this, because there was no real damage to the bottom end or transmission- the crank, bearings, and transmission gears all looked great. A good cleaning and a new oil pump were all that the motor needed.

With the motor in good shape, I moved on to brakes, suspension, and electrical problems. I rebuilt and painted all three calipers and both master cylinders, replaced the rear shocks, installed a Polaris regulator, and polished or painted all the odds, ends, nuts, and bolts. I went through a full roll of tinfoil trying to cheaply shine up the rusty exhaust.

To wrap everything mechanical up, I pressed in new wheel bearings changed the tires. A little soldering got the fuel level sender working again. All new control and gauge cables went in. A new headlight went in and the cracked turn signals were replaced.

Once I tracked down a new tank that could actually hold gas and did some fiberglass repair on some of the cracked plastics, the body work began. Endless Bondo sanding made for a very dusty basement. For painting, I set up a ridiculous plastic booth around a window with a box fan for ventilation. Given my workspace, harbor freight spray guns, and lack of painting experience. I’m pretty pleased with how the finish turned out.

I’ve had about a month of riding on the 850. It took some clever DMV trickery to get it registered, as it came with no paperwork, but I did get plates on it. As soon as I got the carbs tuned and balanced properly, the bike really came alive and hasn’t given me a problem since. It’s a little heavy for the daily commute, but is absolutely my new favorite weekend ride. Looking forward to keeping this bike around and on the road.

image.jpg
    ​​​​​
    '82 GS850G (Done)
    '85 Honda Magna V65 (In Progress)
    '99 Ducati 750SS (In Slower Progress)

'80 Ski-Doo Everest (Irrelevant)
    Wake of burning oil and destruction (Left Behind)

Perpetually high on Brakleen fumes

306DB7E2-6CCD-4773-BD5F-0FBFB8C6D6F2.jpg
    The 850 as it arrived in my basement.
    '82 GS850G (Done)

Comment

D94E4BEA-633D-45F2-83A9-DF69839413FD.jpg
      Mostly stripped down for the top end rebuild.
      '82 GS850G (Done)

Comment

7155CCAB-DBC8-4197-B1F7-33504261D8A9.jpg Mock-up of new bars, controls, replacement tank, and plastics before paint.
        '82 GS850G (Done)

Comment

Nice work, Fritz!
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Well done on pulling it back from the brink.
            ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yep, seems it was almost gone, sure don't look like it now. Nice job.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Another one saved. Well done, you.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
                Dazza from Kiwiland
                GSX1100SXZ, GSX750SZ, GS650GZ All Katanas, all 1982

Comment

Nice restoration!
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by SkiDooFritz View Post
                    7155CCAB-DBC8-4197-B1F7-33504261D8A9.jpg Mock-up of new bars, controls, replacement tank, and plastics before paint.
                    That's some patina on the tank!
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                    X