Just acquired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
    Josh, I copped a feel of that fender's underneathies. No rust that I could tell, just road grime. It's straight over the tire, and I haven't spotted any dings. The pinstriping has some flaws, but I imagine you'll be changing the color anyhow.

When is a good time to run it up there, or call to discuss running it up there? We were going to look at a seat swap too, right?
    Im off Monday and Tuesday...Monday is my B-day but i have no plans that im aware of. You can take a look at this seat. It will need a restich or recover but its functional now, and its black..

Comment

I also found these:

That's a cycleorings.com carb kit, right?
      Looks mighty familiar...
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
        Looks mighty familiar...
        Wow, you remember each and every one...

Thanks.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

happy birthday kid.

Comment

Trouble in paradise?

Well, I finally got things lined up to take it to the BMV and get the Ohio title. Problem: Gimpdiggity had never had the title re-issued in his name, never paid the sales tax in MI. So... Ohio won't issue a title, even though I have the MI title in hand. I wasn't aware at the time that was necessary.

Well, I had only interacted with the seller through the forums, not even over the phone. So, no valid email, no phone number. Just the name and address on the title. Well, being married to a librarian has it's advantages. Not only are the adolescent stereotypes 180° wrong, (hehe) they're very handy for tracking down information. In this case, the correct procedure was to call the public library local to the address in question and ask them. they do some database cross-referencing to find a phone number associated with that address. The only number listed was listed with a woman's name. Well, on the long shot that name is his girlfriend or wife's name, I called and got a generic voice mail greeting. I left my name and number anyhow.

Less than an hour later, I get a call from him. He says to send him the title and he'll get it taken care of. I can't ask for better than that from a seller.

Well, it might have been nice if he knew more than I did about titles and when they need to be re-issued. Only a dealer can transfer a title using the form on the back. Don't buy a bike from an individual if their name isn't printed on the front of the title. Too bad I didn't find an easier way to learn this.
            Dogma
            --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Glad you got the title thing straightened out. That could've been much worse for you. Yeah, Ohio is pretty picky about these things.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                Glad you got the title thing straightened out. That could've been much worse for you. Yeah, Ohio is pretty picky about these things.
                It's not done yet. MI could still throw a wrench into the works.
                Dogma
                --

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

That bedliner material is everything proof. Depending upon the degree of mechanical retention to the side cover plastic you may be able to just grab it by the edge and peel it off. For your sake I'm hopeful that the PO just slathered the junk on W/O any surface prep.

Comment

I got the new MI title in the mail yesterday. Best seller ever. I hope it didn't cost him too much.
                    Dogma
                    --

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

I got the new MI title in the mail yesterday. Best seller ever. I hope it didn't cost him too much.
                      aww. you came all the way up to 20 miles from my house and didn't stop by?

Comment

I felt hurt after you didn't come over to help load it in the rain.

I'll have to ride it back up that way someday.
                        Dogma
                        --

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Well, I finally got to spend a day in the garage with it. My goal was to take it apart enough to make a good list of everything it needs. My family makes wish lists for each other to do Christmas shopping off of, so it's imperative that I get this done. I just about filled a sheet of paper (about one and a half columns of items), everything from the clips that hold the badge on the side cover, to tires, to new exhaust. Clearly, some of these are not relevant to simply getting it reliable.

Conjoined twins, but not the same size. Apparently, the 1000 was hogging the placenta.

The old intake pipes (carb boots) are still on the engine, but they're held on by stainless SHCS. Hmmm, new intake o-rings? Sort of. A bit hard, definitely some compression set, but not 30 years old.

After I took the tank off, I decided to do a quick check on the petcock. This one's a little different from my 850: it has a lever, and a reserve. Still, it's a vacuum petcock. I switched it over to prime, and gas started flowing out. Faster than a fast dribble, but not what I'd expect for full flow. On the 850, no fuel should flow until a vacuum is applied, even on prime. Is it the same on this?

Well, with a fuel source handy, I decided to test whether this brand of bed liner (Duplicolor) is indeed fuel proof. Not that I doubt Rudeman's word about it being everything-proof, it's just that I had seen a lot of variation in MSDS on bed liners when I looked into this earlier. Anyhow, it is indeed fuel proof. Later, I'll see if it's sandpaper or Ruloc-wheel proof.

I'm a little concerned about the wiring. Jeff, (Gimpdiggity's easier to type real name) told me that the PO had removed the rear turn signals. Why would somebody do that? Here's the evil:

Sins of the PO, etc., etc....
                          Oh, but there's more! I also get some of this!

A little to close to the head.

Since it had that fairing on it when Jeff got it, there was no stock headlight. A lot of connections that I think should have been in the headlight bucket are stuffed in around the coils. The routing around the triple clamps seems wrong too. I'd better plan on a general rehabilitation of the wiring.

Continued on the next slide...
                          Dogma
                          --

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

I switched it over to prime, and gas started flowing out. Faster than a fast dribble, but not what I'd expect for full flow. On the 850, no fuel should flow until a vacuum is applied, even on prime. Is it the same on this?
                            I believe only the dreaded '80 petcock requires a bit of vacuum to get it going on PRIME. Once you get it going, you can release the vacuum and it will continue to flow. As I understand this, if you need to use the PRIME function, you move the petcock, then bump the starter to get the vacuum, then wait for the carbs to fill.

With virtually any other petcock, you should see fuel flow as soon as you move the petcock lever.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

White with Red trace is a stator wire no? That would explain the melted connector.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Somebody had access to a buffing wheel, and liked to use it more than Steve:

10W-...whatever. I like the dramatic lighting.

Here's one of the holes in a muffler. Any suggestions, other than just replacing it?

No, I don't mean replacing the hole with another one.

The metal around the hole feels pretty sturdy. I've heard the bike run, and it still sounds good. If it can't be patched reasonably cheaply, I'll just leave it until a good set turns up on eBay or something. Or, until I learn to bend and weld stainless tube... Someday...

Once I got done taking it apart, I remembered that I have some unused fork seals. So, decided to see if there was enough time in the day to rebuild the forks. No, there wasn't. Just some more cleaning up, and they'll be ready to throw back together.

The trash bag is full of Styrofoam peanuts. I just thought you'd want to know that.

Just stripping the clear coat off helped a ton. You can see that I started working on the top end of one of the tubes, but I think I want to use something finer than 1000 grit to simulate the factory finish. 1600? I think I made it worse.

Continued some more...
                                Dogma
                                --

--
                                '80 GS850 GLT
                                '80 GS1000 GT
                                '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                                X