No announcement yet.

My 1981 GS650G Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is really going to be a good lookin' bike.
    Keep posting!
    -KR

Comment

The bikes looking good. Just out of curiosity, what else do you have to do to the bike to get it ready for the road. I know I have a list for my bike as I'm sure most of us working on these bikes do. Just curious.
      -Theo

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
        Nice job! The attention to detail is fantastic, really sharp looking.
        Thanks, I do what I can with what I have.

Originally posted by Bad Kaw View Post
        This is really going to be a good lookin' bike.
        Keep posting!
        -KR
        Thanks, I need the encouragement to keep at it some days.

To tell you the truth, I have a general idea of what I want her to look like when finished, but most of the decisions are made on the fly as far as the cosmetics stuff goes. I honestly couldn't say whether or not she will look good when I am done. I am trying to keep her from looking like a bunch of disassociated parts mashed together, and I am really diggin' how all of the individual pieces I have done so far are coming together.

Originally posted by Theo View Post
        The bikes looking good. Just out of curiosity, what else do you have to do to the bike to get it ready for the road? I know I have a list for my bike as I'm sure most of us working on these bikes do. Just curious.
        -Theo
        Hey Theo,
        Thanks for saying so. It's getting to the point that I am getting excited about getting her all put together in time for spring.

My "to do" list? Hmmm.

To be road legal/safe/has to be done:

-paint/install front calipers
        -design/fabricate mount for projector headlight(s) 1 or 2? I can't decide!
        -new tires would be nice
        -pull stator, match to core, rewind old refurbished core, eventually rewind pulled stator for backup
        -design/fabricate hugger fender for the rear w/licence plate holder
        -complete electrical wiring (need to finish wiring in my electrickery tray)
        -cut new gasket for timing cover
        -install bar end signal lights
        -reinstall side reflectors (they are drying right now)
        -reinstall battery, carbs
        -finish cutting out air flow restrictors for pod filters, mount pods
        -install rare earth magnets in drain plugs
        -shakedown run(s), oil change
        -I know I am forgetting something...

Additional not needed for road legal:

-install rearsets
        -install LED accent lighting over engine/carbs/front wheel/rear wheel
        -construct/install LED accent lighting for inside timing cover
        -design/construction of new mounting plate for gauge cluster
        -install voltmeter gauge in new cluster
        -construct new LED idiot light/gear position display
        -design/fabricate front fairing, I was thinking maybe something along the lines of the RAM 1000 prototype perhaps, depends on headlight decision
        -handlebars, gotta do something with them, paint them black? OK
        -design/mold chin fairing and belly pan
        -design/mold new body panels and side covers
        -design/fabricate hinged pillion seat cover/cargo carrier/back support/padded sissy bar unit, that's right, all of that in one part. Looks amazingly cool in my head!
        -design/construct new exhaust pipes and mufflers, think supertrap-esque!
        -design/machine heat shields for exhaust pipes
        -machine new oil filter cover for use with oil cooler
        -mount/connect new oil cooler

I think that is about it, but there are likely a few things I have forgotten about. If time allows, I would also like to be able to pull apart the rear end and give it the same treatment as the front.

Maybe we should start a thread for everyone's "To Do" lists. It could be a good way to give an encouraging kick to the butt to keep us all motivated.

Now that I've gone over the list, it makes me think I need to get back to work on my bike!

Thanks again to all for the encouragement,

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post

Hey Theo,
          Thanks for saying so. It's getting to the point that I am getting excited about getting her all put together in time for spring.

My "to do" list? Hmmm.

To be road legal/safe/has to be done...
          -construct new LED idiot light/gear position display
          Wow. I thought my list was long. You've got your work cut out. Regarding the dash. On another forum, a user made an idiot light dash for himself and I thought it was really nice and will most likely copy him. Click on this link and scroll down to the post by Herm21. Here is a picture to give you an idea of what they did.

Maybe we should start a thread for everyone's "To Do" lists. It could be a good way to give an encouraging kick to the butt to keep us all motivated.
          That's a good idea. Maybe I'll get that started if you haven't already.
          -Theo

Comment

Factory look Voltmeter

I had been looking for a couple gauges to add to the cluster on the 650, and I found that Hastings has one which was close to what might have been mounted, had the 650 come with one.

The only problem was it had a chrome bezel on it, not black plastic like the OE gauges. So I gave it my usual paint treatment, and voila! Looks close enough to me! I am also going to refresh the stock gauges to make them look new, and likely add in an oil temp sensor and gauge once I get around to making an oil cooler setup.

I plan to buy a matching Hastings gauge, doesn't matter what type, just the same look, then gut it and mount in a clock display from a wristwatch, appropriately wired in to run off the 12V. Now I just need to find a watch display I like, and make sure that it can be backlit easily with a few LEDs. Maybe I can find one that has a crystal bezel on both sides?
            Methinks ebay may have something...

Comment

Wow. I thought my list was long. You've got your work cut out. Regarding the dash. On another forum, a user made an idiot light dash for himself and I thought it was really nice and will most likely copy him. Click on this link and scroll down to the post by Herm21. Here is a picture to give you an idea of what they did.
              Hey, don't look now, your ingenuity is showing!
              Nicely done! I love seeing creative uses for mundane materials!
              It suits the look of his bike very well too boot!

I think you will like what I have cooking for my light setup, I don't want to give out too many details yet. I am still gathering materials for it, but I will say it involves LEDs and gauge trim rings.

That's a good idea. Maybe I'll get that started if you haven't already.
              -Theo
              Go right ahead, I think it should be a very interesting read, seeing what everyone has going on.

BTW, I've bookmarked that $50 mod thread, looks intriguing.

Comment

Protecting the Wiring Harness

I made some time to work on my bike, and decided to finally get at the wiring harness, kind of.

I wanted to unify the look of the wiring and cables on my bike, and the only thing that came to mind that would look good and protect the wiring was black plastic split loom flex tubing. Available at most auto parts stores, split loom is the same stuff used by auto manufacturers to protect the wiring harnesses which may be exposed to the elements, or receive abrasion damage, or heat damage. And it looks pretty sharp too.

I had a package of some 3/8", and a package of 3/4" kicking around from a previous project, so I went ahead and removed the gas tank and seat from my 650 to expose the wiring harness. Once exposed, the wiring harness got the full plastic jacket treatment. I think it turned out looking pretty sweet, and I know my wiring harness and cables have an extra layer of protection "just in case". The wiring harness is also secured every 8 inches or so using zip ties to keep it in place and looking neat.

Once I finish the electrical work I can then seal up the ends with electrical tape. Put a couple wraps of electrical tape around the wires under the split loom, then pass the tape through the split, and wrap the end of the loom, including the wires sticking out of it at least 4 or 5 times to physically close it off, and make it more water resistant. I may even go so far as to use a small zip tie around the final wrap to ensure the tape stays put.

For now, this is a good start to it. Well worth the investment of an hour of time and about 25 feet of the 3/8", and around 8 feet of the 3/4".

Now that I have the wiring in the front all under control, I can get at mounting the headlight(s), and modifying the gauge cluster to my liking.
                Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2010, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks, I do what I can with what I have.

Thanks, I need the encouragement to keep at it some days.

Now that I've gone over the list, it makes me think I need to get back to work on my bike!

Thanks again to all for the encouragement,
                  I absolutely agree MAC, we all need a kick along. My bike has been off the road for two years now -- my shame. My to do list is in my head. I can't bring myself to write it all down. So many things to do.

This is where I am up to now:

Note the 35mm split conduit on frame to protect powder coating while I am putting the engine back in the frame..

P.S. MAC thanks for you help on the spray painting issue. I might not get to that for a while as I need to prioritise the many tasks left to do. The advantage of so many jobs to do is that no matter how much spare time there is then there is a task that can be done, be it 15mins or two hours.
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2010, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                    My to do list is in my head. I can't bring myself to write it all down. So many things to do.
                    I find that the only way I get things done in a timely fashion is to make a list, and get that satifying "ahhhh" moment when you get to check an item off of the list. Mind you, sometimes my lists turn out to be more of a set of...guidelines.

I am loving how clean your engine looks! Spic and span comes to mind. Great job! I hope to be able to treat mine to a similar cleaning and rebuild, but that is a few years away when I have the resources (and room) to do it properly.

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                    P.S. MAC thanks for you help on the spray painting issue. I might not get to that for a while as I need to prioritise the many tasks left to do. The advantage of so many jobs to do is that no matter how much spare time there is then there is a task that can be done, be it 15mins or two hours.
                    Anytime I can help someone I try to, especially when all that is needed is a little liberal application of knowledge. After all, the ability to share knowledge and grow as a society from it, is what sets us apart form the animals.

I am in the same boat on the little tasks part, always something to do. I usually ask myself "What do I want to work on?" I find I get around to pretty much every job this way, and if I want to work on it at that time, I tend to do a better, if not more thorough job.

Keep us up to date in the "To do list" thread, and don't forget the pics so we can all appreciate the incredible work you are doing!

Comment

Looking great, definately one of the builds I would love to see one day. Try to check out the rallys this summer, the western NY one might be the closest one for you.

Comment

Rally?

I am going to try and make it to a rally or two this year, depends on finances. Maybe I should see if there is any interest in having an Ontario rally. First thing to do would be to find a nice long stretch of some twisties. Unfotunately, there really isn't much in my area for twisties. Maybe a rally 'round Algonquin National Park would work? Beautiful area, lots of camping, and it's around 480km's (300 mi) to do a circuit of the park. Sounds like a good long weekend run to me. Unfortunately, it takes around 3-4 hours to get there from here!

Would be a hellacool ride though!

Comment

Quite the project. Looks great so far. I also would be interested in seeing an Ontario rally. I'm about an hour south of the Peace Bridge. I travel south and east a lot, north would be a nice change.

Andy
                          1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
                          1984 GS1100GK
                          1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
                          1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
                          1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Originally posted by ALB80-850 View Post
                            Quite the project. Looks great so far. I also would be interested in seeing an Ontario rally. I'm about an hour south of the Peace Bridge. I travel south and east a lot, north would be a nice change.

Andy
                            Thanks for saying so Andy! It's been a while, how ya been?

The only thing about staging and Ontario Rally is...I have no idea where there would be enough interesting roads to make it worthwhile, aside from way up north, that is. I don't think our brethren from the US of A would really feel like riding 6+ hours just to get to where we would be riding. I may be wrong, likely am, but hey, I am always open to suggestions.

Comment

Keep up the good work. The project is looking great so far.

Comment

Thanks for saying so Andy! It's been a while, how ya been?

The only thing about staging and Ontario Rally is...I have no idea where there would be enough interesting roads to make it worthwhile, aside from way up north, that is. I don't think our brethren from the US of A would really feel like riding 6+ hours just to get to where we would be riding. I may be wrong, likely am, but hey, I am always open to suggestions.
                                I can say for sure I ride 6+ hours to get to the moosehead lake rally and the road up there have nothing to do with it. Once at camp I ride 20 minutes or so to town and back just to get more beer and food.

Comment

Working...
                                X