1980 GS850G Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
    I see an unrusted jeep how is that possib;le?

The 850 engine would be a nice winch motor for it.
    My poor jeep doesn't see much action these days. It doesn't help that they shut down the only off road park that I know of that is nearby. Not many places to off road in the city. I've considered selling it since I don't drive it much anymore, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by glstine View Post
      My poor jeep doesn't see much action these days. It doesn't help that they shut down the only off road park that I know of that is nearby. Not many places to off road in the city. I've considered selling it since I don't drive it much anymore, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

god i live in the woods and am scared to drive cos moose laugh at my decaying bodywork

that and the new JKs have taken over

cant ever inmagine selling a rig that can be turned around on a skidder trail
      hummer indeed!

Comment

Bikes looking great! Smart man ditching that Athena base gasket!

Got a chuckle over your comments about the frame stripping. Been there, done that. No fun.

Keep going and please continue to share.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi Mr. glstine,

Wow! Great work! Keep it up! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I should be updating more frequently now. Last night put the starter in, bench synced the carbs and put them on, put new boots in the airbox and put that on and started tightening the clamps on the boots. Then noticed, I didn't put on the fuel and vent lines or cables. At least the carbs are a whole lot easier to get on and off than the 550 carbs are.

Comment

Work continues. I got the wiring harness all cleaned up and installed (cleaned every connector with sandpaper and contact cleaner)

I had to replace the two handlebar switch plugs, one was smashed, the other was melted. I also added wires to do the coil relay mod.

Put in the R/R, wired it as recommended in the R/R replacement guide. Also got the fuse box, solenoid and ignitor in.

And here is a sneak peak of the finished product

Just imagine it with all black wheels and yellow calipers and black lettering on the emblems. I am going to try and start it up this weekend and pending success I am going to take the wheels back off and get them painted and order tires and brake lines, I should then be finished (I think).

Comment

Great job! Now get them wheels painted

Comment

bike is looking great mate

Comment

I like the yellow. It is different and will make your bike stand out. Looking foward to finished bike.
                    80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Had a bit of a buzzkill today, not getting any spark. Oh well, I'll start troubleshooting tomorrow. I do have a question for the experts on here though. I bought what I thought was a stock L model exhaust.

(Looks like a stock L exhaust)

When I was tightening up the bolt at the back on the right side I noticed this:

Can anybody tell me what is up with that?

Comment

Jardine aftermarket exhaust?

MK160

Comment

Working...
                        X