No announcement yet.

Yet Another GS/GSXR Hybrid Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entire wheel assy from an '89 gsxr 1100, brake rotor, caliper and caliper mount also. Homemade tubular brakestay arm. Stock 750es sprocket side spacer, brake side spacer width cut down slightly, (on a lathe) arm widened alittle with a hydraulic (bottle style) jack and a torch. gsx600f rear axle, had to use gsx600 wheel bearings also. 1100's used larger dia. axle than 600/750's, you could use larger axle if you enlarge the axle slots in the swingarm.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
      Entire wheel assy from an '89 gsxr 1100, brake rotor, caliper and caliper mount also. Homemade tubular brakestay arm. Stock 750es sprocket side spacer, brake side spacer width cut down slightly, (on a lathe) arm widened alittle with a hydraulic (bottle style) jack and a torch. gsx600f rear axle, had to use gsx600 wheel bearings also. 1100's used larger dia. axle than 600/750's, you could use larger axle if you enlarge the axle slots in the swingarm.
      Thanks for the detailed info. I'll try to fit the 4.5" wheel this weekend and see how it goes. I'll post pics and I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks again.

Comment

I took off the stock wheel and try to fit the 4.5" one and here are some pictures:

Needless to say I've some questions:

1. Monk, which year/model Suzuki did the wheel come from? I found that the stock axle is too small for it, so I'll have to get the rest of the rear assembly provided I've a matching parts bike.
        2. As the second picture shows, the wheel rubs against the swing arm on the right side. It doesn't seem too bad and I may be able to shift it to the left a bit more; but, if it's necessary, can I grind off a little of that existing weld on the swing arm?
        3. Going back to the larger axle, how can I enlarge the existing slots in the swing arm? Kingofvenus, how did you do yours?
        4. I'll have to come up with a new torque arm, for sure. Any tips on how I can make one myself?
        5. A silly observation, the riding height will be lower with the lower profile radial tyre, yes? Which is fine since I'm a short bastard with an even shorter pair of legs anyhow.

I think that's all for now. Thanks.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2010, 02:13 PM.

Comment

I'll try to answer in turn:

1. I don't know for sure as I bought it off a member here & he didn't know either. I assume late 80's 1100. I wouldn't change the axle I would change the wheel bearing if necessary.

2. You should have plenty of room with the 160. You shouldn't need to mess with the welds. How do you know the wheel is in straight in the pics? You can't determine anything until you really start to bolt it up. You can move it back to create more room at the front where it's touching.

3. The 1150 Swingarm is similar (not identical enough to interchange) & the back end where the axle goes is identical except for the fact that it's the bigger 20mm (I think 20mm is right) axle. You could enlarge the slots to make the slots identical to the 1150 swingarm slots (it's what I had to do), but it's pretty difficult & time consuming to get it right... You could then run 1150 Axle & adjusters. - Again I would probably change wheel bearing first, cheaper & easier. You should be able to get bearing in any auto part store by number or you may find the ones out of your stock wheel will fit if they are in good condition. (Outer dia should be the same).

4. Buy the one I keep offering you... I've done all the work for you on that one. Failing that cut the ends of the stock one & weld something up yourself. You'll need to fabricate a plate with 3 holes in it to the correct dimensions to go with it as your rotor is different size to mine. You also need to determine whether there is clearance for the stock rear caliper otherwise you'll have to use a GS1000/850/750/550 one with the banjo bolt at the rear like me.

5. My bike is lower yes but it's mostly to do with the front end being shorter not the rear wheel. Rolling radius of the wheel is not a lot different from memory.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Listen to EVERYTHING Dan has to say..........it will ONLY make things better!

Good luck with the project, remember to post LOTS of pictures for all of us gearheads to drool over.....

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
              Listen to EVERYTHING Dan has to say..........it will ONLY make things better!
              I do!

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
              Good luck with the project, remember to post LOTS of pictures for all of us gearheads to drool over.....
              I do plan on posting pictures, though I'm not sure if there'll be anything to drool over. I'm not much for cosmetics. As long as things fit, function and make the bike ride well, I'm happy. A bit of (cosmetic) rust, grime, dirt, mismatch paint/colour, etc. don't bother me. In fact, I sort of like them as they make the bike unique or, as someone else's put it, "organic."

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                1. I don't know for sure as I bought it off a member here & he didn't know either. I assume late 80's 1100. I wouldn't change the axle I would change the wheel bearing if necessary.
                Hmm... Didn't think about changing the bearing.

2. You should have plenty of room with the 160. You shouldn't need to mess with the welds. How do you know the wheel is in straight in the pics? You can't determine anything until you really start to bolt it up. You can move it back to create more room at the front where it's touching.
                You're right, I don't know. I quite literally just shoved the wheel as it is in there and thread the axle through. Of course, I'll try again once the weather stops being so nice.

3. The 1150 Swingarm is similar (not identical enough to interchange) & the back end where the axle goes is identical except for the fact that it's the bigger 20mm (I think 20mm is right) axle. You could enlarge the slots to make the slots identical to the 1150 swingarm slots (it's what I had to do), but it's pretty difficult & time consuming to get it right... You could then run 1150 Axle & adjusters. - Again I would probably change wheel bearing first, cheaper & easier. You should be able to get bearing in any auto part store by number or you may find the ones out of your stock wheel will fit if they are in good condition. (Outer dia should be the same).
                I'll see about re-using the stock bearing. I know the left side (i.e., sprocket side) spacer's outer diameter is too large for the new sprocket, but I didn't try anything else.

4. Buy the one I keep offering you... I've done all the work for you on that one. Failing that cut the ends of the stock one & weld something up yourself. You'll need to fabricate a plate with 3 holes in it to the correct dimensions to go with it as your rotor is different size to mine. You also need to determine whether there is clearance for the stock rear caliper otherwise you'll have to use a GS1000/850/750/550 one with the banjo bolt at the rear like me.
                OK. I didn't see a space for the stock calliper bracket, so I didn't try to fit the calliper. I'll get in touch with you offline about the torque arm and bracket.

Thanks.

Comment

The axle i swapped to is the same dia. as the stock 750 axle, (17 mm) it's just a little longer. The stocker was too short now. And changed the wheel bearings to some with the i.d. of 17 to match. The spacers are also that same i.d. Not a very good picture but it is the best i have right now. I know that my wheel (4.5x17) is from an '89 1100. The caliper is from a gsx600f katana.

Comment

I shaved a bunch of the width off of my caliper bracket, at the axle end only, on what would be the outer side only. brake stay is a piece of round tube stock i bought at work (i run plasma cutting machines in a fab shop for a steel distributor) with the stock ends cut off and rewelded to it.

Comment

Dee's solution for rear brake may be better than mine for you as you can use the stock caliper bracket. With mine you'd have to fabricate one (mine is flat 10mm stock with 3 holes in it but they are BIG holes).
                      I also had to use a couple of hardened washers that were a good fit from the parts store (but remember I'm using a bigger Axle.

One thing that Dee has done (& so have I but mine is more extreme) is to jack the back end of the swingarm open a bit, that's why he needs the longer axle. I don't think Billy Ricks jacked his open though - I think he is using stock axle.

If you do jack it open then make sure you do it when it's on the bike otherwise you'll compress the front end where the rocker for the shock goes & it will no longer fit!

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

One thing that Dee has done (& so have I but mine is more extreme) is to jack the back end of the swingarm open a bit, that's why he needs the longer axle. I don't think Billy Ricks jacked his open though - I think he is using stock axle.

Dan
                        What is a "bit"?
                        Last edited by posplayr; 04-13-2010, 06:20 PM.

Comment

No Idea Jim.. you'll have to ask Dee. I think from memory he jacked it so that it settled about 1/2" wider.

My wheel is different & my swingarm is jacked open more than that but I don't have a precise measurement as I jacked it to suit the axle I had on hand & then made up the spacers to suit.

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Yeah, about an 1/2 in. And i got the idea from Billy.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                              Yeah, about an 1/2 in. And i got the idea from Billy.
                              So about 1/4" either side; you probably did not notice any distortion in the swing arm forks then.

Comment

I jacked my 550 about 1/2" as well......but I'm running the 3.5 rear end

Comment

Working...
                                X