No announcement yet.

Yet Another GS/GSXR Hybrid Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My caliper bracket is an 1100 one, had to use it because of the smaller dia. of the rotor. It (the bracket) has the spacer that sits between it the wheel bearing slightly recessed into it and a differant than stock (1100) spacer inside it due to the 3mm axle reduction.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Blimey. Lots of good info. I'm seriously torn between, well, tearing the rear wheel apart and trying out all these suggestions, and leaving it be for as long as the weather is nice so I can go ride.

In any case, it seems like a day out at the local junkyard is in order.

Thanks for all these excellent pointers. I'll report back shortly.

Comment

I spread my swingarm about 1/4" to get the wheel on and off easier. I used a bottle jack and actually spread the arm close to an inch so when I let the pressure off the jack and the arm relaxed it ended up around 1/4" or so wider. I took material off the outside of the caliper hanger like Dee did. On the brake torque arm I moved the mounting point to the bottom of the swingarm and simply bent the torque arm to clear the tire. I am using the stock axle. I did grind some material from the inner part of the head of the axle to give me a little more length to work with.

For sprockets I was originally using a 16/43 combo and it was very close to stock as far as rpm-mph is concerned. I'm using a 17 tooth front now. You have to grind down material around one of the countershaft cover bolts to use the 17 or it will make contact and the sprocket won't turn. It's not actually the bolt you grind, it's the cover itself. I'm running a 520 conversion as well.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2010, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quasimodo View Post
          I took off the stock wheel and try to fit the 4.5" one and here are some pictures:

Needless to say I've some questions:

1. Monk, which year/model Suzuki did the wheel come from? I found that the stock axle is too small for it, so I'll have to get the rest of the rear assembly provided I've a matching parts bike.
          2. As the second picture shows, the wheel rubs against the swing arm on the right side. It doesn't seem too bad and I may be able to shift it to the left a bit more; but, if it's necessary, can I grind off a little of that existing weld on the swing arm?
          3. Going back to the larger axle, how can I enlarge the existing slots in the swing arm? Kingofvenus, how did you do yours?
          4. I'll have to come up with a new torque arm, for sure. Any tips on how I can make one myself?
          5. A silly observation, the riding height will be lower with the lower profile radial tyre, yes? Which is fine since I'm a short bastard with an even shorter pair of legs anyhow.

I think that's all for now. Thanks.
          I was looking at this set of pics again and i noticed that the sprocket carrier is not like the one i have, is that one a five bolt five paddle style? mine is a six/six. The sprocket looks (?) farther away from the tire than mine also....
          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
            I was looking at this set of pics again and i noticed that the sprocket carrier is not like the one i have, is that one a five bolt five paddle style? mine is a six/six. The sprocket looks (?) farther away from the tire than mine also....
            Now that you've mentioned it, yes, it is a 5/5 style. Also, yes, it is quite a bit thicker than the stock one and the one that goes with a 5.5" wheel. Does it mean it's not usable? Or, at least, it'd be better if I can find a thinner 6/6 style with a matching wheel?

Thanks.

Comment

You need to use the GS sprocket carrier which isn't as deep as the GSXR piece. Then you're going to have to figure out the correct spacers for the left and right to put the wheel into the middle of the swinger...

Here's some good reading on conversions:
              Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

J

Comment

Sheik:

Thanks for pointing me to those threads. I quickly read through them and have learned a lot already. I'm sure I'll go back to them often once I really start this project.

So, one thing I've to get absolutely right is that I've to align the wheels first before anything else (i.e., chain). I've been thinking that I ought to start with the rear first and get that done---because it requires more work and possible custom parts---and then tackle the front-end because that's more "bolt-on" sort of thing. But, as I understand it now I'll do better doing the front first and then the rear, so I'll be aligning the rear with the actual front-end rather than with the stock one and assuming/hoping that the GSXR one will be close. Is that right?

I think I still need a slimmer 5/5 sprocket carrier or a different rear wheel altogether, though, because there really isn't much (any) room laterally with the one I've got.

Thanks again.

Comment

I didn't measure that wheel but I don't believe it was any thicker than the one that I used. Can you take an accurate measure of the sprocket carrier from the face that hits the Cush drive rubber to the face where the sprocket goes or compare it with your GS stock one & tell us what the difference is.

Worse case you can have some material machined off the sprocket face if you need to.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'm using one of the 5 bolt GSXR carriers so using my 700 carrier was out. The fact it was a GSXR carrier really didn't cause me any grief. Everything was centered just fine when it went together. The only reason I ended up spreading the swingarm was so I didn't have to pry things apart to get the wheel on anymore. Next time I have the rear off I'll try to remember to take some measurements of the stock carrier vs GSXR. The Kat 600 carrier from the same era is the same except for bearing id as the GSXR carrier. I did find a slightly narrower left side spacer to use that still kept the carrier bolts off the swingarm. You might be able to mill a little off whatever spacer you end up using.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      I didn't measure that wheel but I don't believe it was any thicker than the one that I used. Can you take an accurate measure of the sprocket carrier from the face that hits the Cush drive rubber to the face where the sprocket goes or compare it with your GS stock one & tell us what the difference is.

Worse case you can have some material machined off the sprocket face if you need to.
                      Monk:

I can't measure the stock one right now because it's on the bike. The one I got from you is ~47mm from the sprocket's inner face to the inner lip (i.e., one facing the rubber cush). But, here's probably a better measure: the gap from the sprocket inner face to the lip of the wheel hub for the stock wheel is ~35mm while the same gap for the other wheel is ~42mm. So, there's about a 7mm difference.

I'm no machinist by any stretch of the imagination; but, I don't see how 7mm worth of material can be shaved off of either the carrier and/or the sprocket itself. I may have to resort to widening the swing arm like others have done to make room for adjustment/alignment. But, please let me know if you've got other ideas.

Thanks.

Comment

I think you'll have 7mm of space on that side when you get it together & lined up straight.

Maybe there is a narrower 5 bolt carrier available.

Jacking 1/2" like the others should also give you the room required.

Mine is jacked more like an inch I would think. I ground the left side spacer down so that it only protrudes about 3mm from the bearing seal lip.

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I think you'll have 7mm of space on that side when you get it together & lined up straight.
                          I certainly hope you're right; but, though it's not shown well in the first set of pictures I took, there didn't seem to be any lateral room at all for adjustments and the wheel looked definitely off-centre. And I didn't use any sprocket-side spacer.

Mind you, as I've mentioned, I just shoved the wheel in there, so there could possibly be some room to be gained.

Maybe there is a narrower 5 bolt carrier available.
                          I do have some time this Saturday to rummage around for parts at a local junkyard. If someone knows of a 5-paddle carrier or another 4.5" wheel assembly that'd work better, I'm all ears. FWIW, the inner diameter of the hub of the current 4.5" wheel is about 160mm.

Jacking 1/2" like the others should also give you the room required.

Mine is jacked more like an inch I would think. I ground the left side spacer down so that it only protrudes about 3mm from the bearing seal lip.

Dan
                          I may have to do that. Speaking of which, Kingofvenus, you mentioned a torch when you did yours. Can you provide a bit more detail on the process? I know nothing about working with metal, but I can learn.

Thanks.

Comment

I didn't heat mine, I just jacked it open with a scissor jack progressively until it settled to where I wanted it....

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

A quick update, after a day of hunting, I managed to get a slightly thinner 5-paddle sprocket carrier from a GS500. Hopefully, between this and the thicker one I'll have the rear wheel and chain alignment sorted.

Thanks.

Comment

That's good news & good info for anyone else. How much thinner is it?? Did you get the sprocket spacer that goes between the wheel bearing & sprocket drive? You'll need it or you'll have to machine the old one shorter....

Dan
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                                X