Jennifer's Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post

And relax okes, no flat black happening on my bike, not now, not ever, the only thing flat black on my bike is the tyres.
    Just playin' with y'all.
    A bit of Amour All will shine them right up........

J/K

Comment

On the forum here when researching how to paint, I got what I thought was a sound advice - so I followed it - and it was to lay a couple of coats of clear and let it fully dry then wet sand lightly BEFORE laying the graphics - so if anything goes wrong with the transfers or the subsequent coats of clear - you have some "room" to sand back the transfers without damaging the paint job below.

Kinda "jonny come lately" advice in your case but worth considering for the future.
      GS850GT

Comment

Hi Psy
        Yeah, I got that one, but I was too smart for that.

Comment

Good to hear the $200 was your monopoly money....I thought it was unbelievably expensive.. Now that you've taken it as far as you have, you might want to re-prime the covers. Clear coats and base coats that've been sanded into and broken through on, sometimes react very badly to new base coat being applied directly on top. The couple coats of primer should seal that danger off. Let it set for a couple of days. Sorry to hear about the re-do, but believe me when I tell you, it still happens to the best of them. I, also, have to once in awhile take a step or two backwards, (and it never gets any less frustrating) but..it's all in the learning process.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Thanks Larry, yes, I just don't trust myself to pull off a repair the way you guys can, I rather start fresh, I will lay down primer first, to make sure there is no reaction.
            I am back to working late nights and Saturdays again, so I am back to one day a week on the bike again, so letting it sit is no problem.
            Should I be using any special primer on the plastics, or is the cheap and nasty stuff good enough?

Comment

Krylon actually makes a decent spray can-high fill primer. It goes on well, sands easy, and will not (normally) react to new urethanes being applied over it. Just take your time. Give it 15-20 minutes between coats and sand it lightly with 400 before repainting it again.
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Thanks Larry, I am sure I have seen the brand here, will go look for it and get a few cans.

Comment

Quietly lurking and following along Stan..I know the feelingbafter doing a what looks like a mint job and then it just goes south in a heartbeat..thats why i prefer to not mess with the stuff anymore. Good on you to have the composure to not take a hammer to the thing.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hahahaha, thanks Chuck, good to know you are lurking in the background, I follow all your builds, you do quality work, so your input is most welcome and appriciated.
                    Please believe me, times like these I surely feel like taking a hammer to it, but being a flight instructor teaches you one thing...the patients of a saint.
                    So, the covers have been sanded back again, we shall lay primer and start again......oh happy days.

Comment

Wow, just read through this whole thread like reading a book. You certainly have the patience of a saint Flyboy. And I truly admire your tenacity and DIY whatever the cost attitude. Learning a ton through your project as I'm sure many others are as well so to that, I say thank you! Waiting patiently for the next progress update.
                      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Oh, and I am going to plagiarize your carb paint job. Very impressive. What did you use to paint them and how do you get the paint to stick to the aluminum?

Sci85
                        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

You have been doing nothing but the most amazing work on this project.
                          Every aspect has been phenomenal to say the least. Keep up the great work!

Daniel

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it, but really, my build is nothing special compared to some of the creations these guys roll out of the garage, but I do try, and I do want it to be something I can be proud of.
                            Sci, you welcome to plagiarize my carbs, I plagiarized them off Renobruce after all, with his kind permission of course, so the credit for inspiration has to go to him, my artistic skills border on zero, even when I draw a stick man he looks like he has some debilitating disease.

I used cheap and nasty rattlecan paint, not even high heat, so we shall see how it holds up, I baked them in the oven for an hour at 220F to cure and harden the paint, and they are quite tough.

I guess people will argue that the gas will eat the paint, but ten again the trick is to keep the gas inside the carbs, no?
                            Problem is I could not find the same silver in high heat, it is called Fine Silver and has fine metal flake in it.
                            Yes I really am trying to keep it as much DIY as I can, even if it means redoing certain things a few times, until I am happy with them.
                            You know there are too many people out there who look at something and say "wow, I wish I could do that", my aim when this bike is done is to be able to say "look, yes you can" and motivate more folk to roll up their sleeves and dig in with confidence, and build or repair something and feel proud of what they have achieved, no matter how small, hear them ranting and raving about how awesome it felt to do something they never thought of before and how proud they are of it, and enjoy that worm feeling knowing that somewhere I had something to do with it, even if it was just planting the seed.

Comment

+1 To everything everyone said above Stan, this thread is one of the ones that's helped me get through some arrrrrgh moments on mine

And DIY... yeah I get it, it's great to know you've done all that work to make this bike what you want it to be, and is so much more satisfying than buying something that someone else has done...

I haven't even finished mine yet and I already have that feeling!
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Ok, got a bit done today, not much, but some nevertheless and I am in no hurry...or so I try to BS myself.
                                Got the headlight bucket done, it was in sad shape, with a lot of scratches and nicks, so first order of business was to get it smooth
                                some polyester spot filler and 320grit water paper saw to that.

Laid down another light primer coat, a little more filling and I was happy, layed down final primer and the color.

Just so Larry doesn't think I am cheating.....did the inside too.

In fact the filling and sanding was done last weekend, the paint went on today.

Cleaned up and mounted the starter solenoid, sorry, the bike is filthy, don't know where all the dust comes from.

Had to repair three areas on the tail piece so I can start prepping it, two cut outs that I made to access the bolts that hold the pannier mounts on easier and a hole in the top

Damn, I hate fiberglass work.

Got the seat lock mounted, not sure if I like it plated silver, it may come off again and go black, to match the frame.

Comment

Working...
                                X