No announcement yet.

fuel injected turbo katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The USB charger is awesome! Where did you get that waterproof connector?

Comment

Originally posted by Lunchbox88 View Post
      The USB charger is awesome! Where did you get that waterproof connector?
      It isn't on the market yet. I started researching this a year ago. There are a couple of circuit boards involved and extra ic chips.

I will be selling the kits on my site when I get them sorted out. The usb waterproof connectors are not cheap and of course the caps were extra. Tell me how you sell a waterproof unit without the water proof part????? They get you coming and going.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Excellent idea. No sense reinventing the wheel.

Chris

Originally posted by katman View Post
        the guts out of a cig lighter charger. They are cheaper than building one and have all the circuitry.
        1983 750 Katana
        1982 750 Katana (parts use)
        1983 RZ350

Comment

I just stumbled upon this thread today and WOW this beast is going to be a beauty!! that turbo piping looks great. I can't wait to see when it's all done and destroying the asphault!

Comment

Surge tank is done. Didn't really need one but thought I would throw one in anyway. The kat tanks are big and roomy so low fuel situations could be sketty..
            What a pain plumbing, looks pretty straight forward but it wasn't. Running AN6 all round being fed by pingel 5/16 valve with 80micron screen.
            The pump is a Mallory 160 litres/hr low amp draw since kats don't have many amps.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

that a low psi pump?

Comment

40psi
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

katman katana build

fabbed up a cooler mounting bracket out of 2" x 1" angle alum and mounted the front and rear signals. I removed the old rear signal mounts and moved the signals forward.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Drilled and tapped the fuel rail. By using end fittings I would have to carve up the side covers so I am using plugs there. Keeps things cleaner. Installed the vac lines, a vacuum block and the map sensor. Getting busy under there. Still have fuel feed line, return line and air bleed line from the fuel pump.

Also have to fab a fuel return to the tank along with a thermistor low fuel warning system.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                      AN6 all round being fed by pingel 5/16 valve with 80micron screen.
                      Jeezz ? -6 seems big. The 6 cyl airplane engines I deal with are 550 cu ins. They can drink over 30gph and have a -6 fuel supply hose.

Awesome project !!!
                      Last edited by bonanzadave; 03-20-2011, 12:50 PM.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                        Jeezz ? -6 seems big. The 6 cyl airplane engines I deal with are 550 cu ins. They can drink over 30gph and have a -6 fuel supply hose.

Awesome project !!!
                        I chose AN6 for two reasons. First is the ID is very close to the 5/16 fuel tap and two, that what is recomended for the pump. I know the pump is meant for an 8 cylender car but also it was easier to go to -6 from the 3/8" npt pump fittings.
                        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

efi katana

Today I worked on the mock up tank. Located the return line and low fuel warning.
                          I am using a thermistor unit out of an SV650. For those who don't know what they are since gs1100 and katana don't have them, they work on resistance. When submerged in fuel they are cold and have a high resistance. When they become exposed to the air as the fuel leve drops, they heat up and that decreases their resistance allowing current to flow. When this happens, the low fuel light comes on.
                          This unit has two, so I have low fuel and critically low fuel lights. My plan is to use on solid burning low light and for critical level, I will use a flashing light.

The conductivity is for the ground wire, not the hot so there is not chance of shorting in the fuel which would ruin your day.

I am fabbing the return out of a 3/8" npt 90 degree fitting with a 7" hollow tube.
                          The thermistor unit I chose because the first low fuel indicator is very close to where the stock katana level is when you need to turn to reserve. The second thermistor is the kick in the pants warning.

Last edited by katman; 03-21-2011, 02:32 AM.
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Katana frame ready for powder

Well, the last of the frame work is done and ready for powder.

Since grounding is so important and I have lots of electrics on the beast I thought it might be prudent to make sure there were some sound ground points on the bike.
                            I used stainless steel that will not be getting powdered. I have them taped off so grounding will not be an issue with this bike. There is a tab in the tail, under the seat, by the tank (for the wiring harness ground point) and up front under the fairing. WHy? my clocks need a ground, EFI, and on and on.

Next I had to reposition the rear brake return spring location

Lastly, since there are no more katana headers to be had, I thought it may be a good idea to have a mounting point for the 1100e headers that are still available. I machined and tapped a rod and welded it into the peg stay. That way I can bolt up any kind of braket between it and the rear exhaust mounting hole for any number of configurations.

One more final check for frame true and rear wheel alignment while I am at it.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Thought the frame was ready for powder but decided to weld in some new front coil mounts to better fit the dyna coils. Done now, all stripped and theads protected. Off to powder she goes in the next day or two.

On to other things.
                              Here is the swingarm. I buried my oil catch can in the shock hole. Welded a plate over the hole and sandwiched the plate with the upper and lower pieces of the catch can. Now, its out of the way and clears the fuel pump on susupension compression.
                              Those aren't the fittings I will be using in final build. I am using one for crank case vent (valve cover) and the other for crank breather coming from clutch cover. Center top will hose into a filter. I will be safety wiring the can on for precausion.
                              Decided to weld on the extensions as well. Don't like the idea of my life depending on 4 screws.

Last edited by katman; 03-24-2011, 02:14 AM.
                              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

katana flush mount fuel cap

I have never loved the gas cap on these bikes and I hate digging for keys at the pump. Especially when I don't have an ignition key. So, the only thing I have to do now is get rid of seat key....HHmmmmnnmmm??? next season maybe.
                                Looked at different options, the first one was the obvious one and go with a aircraft style, but, that's pretty boring, every bike has one. I also didn't want to ruin the look of the tank by moving the cap ot the center.

So I went with a pop up cap. Gloss black to match the black the tank will be on top. Nice and flush, low profile and sleek. It will be an excellent match for my paint scheme.

May not be everyones cup of tea, but I like it.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Working...
                                X