No announcement yet.

fuel injected turbo katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's unfortunate!! I take it life is getting in the way. Hope it gets sorted out for ya!

Comment

OK project is back on. Since it has been a long project I thought I would throw on the turbo and efi to give myself a shot of motivation. Phase I is almost complete. That is motor in ready for carburetor break in. ONce the engine is broken in, Phase II starts, which will be in a couple months. Phase II is adding the fuel injection and getting it running correctly. Then Phase III, the TURBO!!! There are some issues to sort out with that but I am looking forward to getting down to problem solving for the completetion of the project.

I have taken the turbo stuff off today and put on the Vance and Hines header. I have a stainless (new) Yosh knock off coming. I am told that it will be killer. Of course you will all find out the details once I have it in my hot little hands. Here is a small rundown of what I have done lately.

Keyfob, one button on/off power - no ignition. I will be replacing this with an RFID system shortly when I get some upgraded parts from my supplier.The low fuel sensor is installed and working great (pics to follow). I am having an issue with my SPA super expensive clocks. The menu button decided to quit working. I don't know if it is the switch or the clocks. I will need to do some trouble shooting with the manufacturer next week. I had to redesign the backing of the clocks to allow the led lights to fit properly. ONe thing you get used to on these projects is doing things again and again to get them perfect. Another snag is my quick access clutch cover, it has offset my cable so it doesn not run through the center of the housing. It has also made it too short. Or rather, the stock actuator arm is too short and, has to be rotated inward which makes for a very heavy pull. Not only that but I am not getting enough clutch travel to completely disengage my plates. Something will have to be made, Oh, how novel!!

I am just waiting for my new set of RS Flatslides to arrive (tues/wed) and I can bring the beast to life. A Dyna 2000 is in charge of detonation while 1260cc pistons supply the force. Feeding this monster is a ported head with 1mm oversize stainless steel valves, Web 370 left cams dialed in to 108.5 degrees. The heavy lifting is provided by APE/Web hard welded rocker arms which will be generously lubricated by the top end oiling system. Managing all this torque and twist will be a Gardner Concepts prepared crank with straight cut gears with of corse, katana rods.

When Phase I is completed I will summarize what has been done to date. I have quite a few pics to upload when I get the chance. My computer has been down for a couple weeks which has backed many things up. Oh yeh, the color is "ATOMIC ORANGE" Believe me, the pictures do not do this bike justice. Walley and his crew over at Willowbrook collision in Langley did a fantastic job, for a fantastic price. Hand painted pinstriped, two tone all cleared over including the katana decal on the tank. They smoothed is all so there are no ridges. Go see them for paint. Great guys, great job, great price.

There is a more to catch up on that will be posted over the coming days.

Last edited by katman; 08-28-2011, 04:18 AM.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

OH MY FUGGING GOD!!! Unbelievable... Sir, this is fantastic! Super top notch work!

Can I touch it?

EDIT: I came back to this thread to drool some more and I see that you added another picture. WOW! So god damn sexy! And it has a flush mount gas cap, where you poke it it then twist. OK... Gotta calm down.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2011, 04:23 AM.

Comment

WOW, just WOW

Comment

South Africans seem to get all the coolest smiley faces
            GS850GT

Comment

Top notch kick ass work Mr Katman !!!
              GS850GT

Comment

Woah! I'm a little speechless... well typeless really

That thing is a work of art, excellent stuff sir! That is absolutely 100% something to feel proud of and beyond...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

All i can say is this is the first bike i have seen that looks way better in person then what the pics can do..It is unreal to be honest.Pics always make bikes or cars look better..NOT the case with this beauty.

Comment

Man, great work Rob!

Comment

No dyno readings yet?
                      GS850GT

Comment

I am using a Pingel petcock for this project. It fows more and I just don't like vacuum feeds. Too much trouble. Also installed the thermistor low fuel warning system from an SV 650. Its not a good idea to wait until you are out of gas and flip to reserve when your on EFI, so this will do nicely. At approximately where I would go onto reserve I now have a warning light on my dash that comes on. This peticular unit uses dual thermistors so I will be hooking up a secondary critically low warning light.

I was going to paint the low fuel unit as it was pretty ugly then realized its brass. Same as the outputs of my fuel valve, so I polished it up as shiny as gold. Matches nicely and looks great.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Here is what I did under the seat of my katana project. I cut some aluminum as many do, to relocat my electrics under the seat. This is not original, but it is something you have to do if you want to hide some clutter and clean up the look of the bike. Don't get me wrong, I like the electrical panel on the side, it adds to the look of the stock katana, but just didn't fit this project.

The extra bolts you see are for mounting the fuel injection controler and some other odds and ends. Here is a tip for anyone wanting to do this to their bike. Make sure you don't have tooooo long a screw in the back by the tail light. If you do, you just may tare a hole in your tire. The stock katana wheel rises above the seat rails so be careful to check all clearances and suspension travel.

Also tucked in there you will see my new lithium battery of 2.2 lbs. 270 cold cranking amps with 18 amp hrs. Monster output, miniscule footprint. Just under the new aluminum is a new "series" regulator rectifier. Do yourself a favor and google it. A buddy on a forum turned me onto these for which I am thankful, Thank Jimmy!!!!. I liked them and the batteries so much I became a dealer.

YOu will also see the voltage meter and my all weather usb charger for my iPhone. To the right of the usb is the push button switch for both. I wanted to be able to monitor battery status while the phone was charging since it would likely be sitting around shooting the breeze. When not in use I can keep them from drawing power. The usb plug draws power even if there is nothing plugged into it, so I am told. For on the move monitoring, I have a Yoshimura mutlimeter up front with oil temp, clock and volts. If you look closely, you may see the positive lead coming out of the fuse box (the bottom of our fuse boxes has a neg and pos accessory connection) This accessory terminal is hot with key off. That way I can charge the phone without the rest of the bike using power too.

I have some clean up to do. The positive lead from the battery is too short, and I need some more black zip ties. I am more anxious to get this on the road right now, then I can look after details off season, in a couple months.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Oh man.... This is amazing! Aren't all of your bikes like this? I mean like, you know... AWESOME!!! A stock Katana is sick as is but this is like 10 steps above.

Comment

Here is how nice the flush mount gas cap turned out. I cut out the bung and replaced it with a fuel bung from a Harley Davidson Sportster. The flush mount cap is an oem discontinued cap that works great for my purposes. I don’t like trying to get my keys out when pulling up the the pump. The only think I need a key for now is my seat lock and I may be working on a hydrolic seat over the winter. Like I don’t have enough to do.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

The beast is on the road and phase I is complete. I will be riding for another few weeks and then the season is over. Over the winter I will be installing the fuel injection which is phase II. Once I have that all sorted out, I will be adding the turbo so please stay tuned. There is lots more to come. Over the coming weeks I will be posting more detailed pictures of the katana so you can see up close exactly what I have done and how it turned out. Although the pics look great I have to say the bike looks way better in person.

The contrast of the orange and black just doesn't translate well in the pics. I have to say it sure is nice to be cruising the Sea 2 Sky highway finally. Cheers!
                                Last edited by katman; 10-10-2011, 03:03 PM.
                                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Working...
                                X