No announcement yet.

Motocrossx23's GS750 Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not too hard of a process, just take your time and make sure that you are constantly staying on track

Comment

Nice work! I was incredibly surprised to find no stuck nuts/bolts on mine during the whole take down. Never even had to use liquid wrench or anything. Obviously, stripped that drain plug and there were a couple missing here and there, but not too bad!

Comment

I see you're in Upstate NY? Where abouts? I'm from Buffalo actually.

Comment

The worst part of that whole process is getting the broken bolt drilled straight and centered. If you got 5 in a row as nice as they look in the pictures , you done good pal!
          CONGRATS!

Comment

First time doing it too lol, I'm very happy with the results

Comment

Make sure to put some anti-seize on those new stainless bolts. Stainless bolts in aluminum cases will suffer galvanic corrosion and seize up you don't.

BTW nice to see you making some progress. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Yeah I definitely used anti seize on the bolts, I didn't want to run into another incident of broken bolts haha.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I ground down all the welds today on the seat pan, I'll take some pictures once the paint dries (I hit it with some rattle can to prevent it from rusting)

Comment

As promised, here's some photos of the cafe tail after cleaning up the welds and some paint to see how the lines look:

This is the Bondo I'll be using to shape and finish the tail:

Comment

That's f-ing sweet! I wish I had the means to do more fab. I know how to weld, but not too good!

Comment

that's very good work, man! and a nice set of taps/dies.
                      i have done a similar "intervention" on the exhaust bolts - and then used the stainless steel studs/nuts combo. worked a treat and no more worries...

oh, i updated the avatar pic he he
                      GS850GT

Comment

Hey, sorry. Just saw your question down the thread a ways. I'm a little north of Albany. Great work! Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by jacobdub View Post
                          Hey, sorry. Just saw your question down the thread a ways. I'm a little north of Albany. Great work! Keep it up!
                          Ah so you're a little east of me lol, I'm right by Lake Erie.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys...it's been a very stressful week. My GF and I decided to split after 5 years...long story short we are on different life paths.

But enough of my sob story. This is more motivation to get this project done. I need to occupy my mind with something else.

Comment

Atta boy, can be tough but keeping your mind and hands busy is good therapy.
                            Any progress on that seat?

Comment

No progress on the seat, I've been slacking because of the bondo and what not. I actually wanted to get the motor fully scrubbed down and ready for paint but I find that it's nearly impossible to reach each and every nook and cranny.

This is what I got done tonight after work:

No need to make a huge mess, time for the tarp.

Before:

After:

It looks good in pictures but I'm not satisfied with what it looks like in person. I can still see little bits of grime and what not. Ehhh...idk. I just hate spending money on soda blasting if I do not need to.

Comment

Build your own soda blasting unit ????

and here

There are many other vids on this DIY setup, but they all work the same way..

This is of course that you have an air compressor....

It's something I will do with my engine, and since it's baking soda, it will wash off with water, and not hurt engine parts, unlike the real "sand"
                                Last edited by Guest; 11-27-2011, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X