Motocrossx23's GS750 Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
    Was your engine originally that color or was it black, and now because of all the paint stripper and scrubbing, it has turned to silver ?

I ask because I just did my engine cleaning, and it's black, and I was not sure if using paint stripper was going to be a good idea, I wanted some of the original paint on the engine as added protection, I did manage to get all the gunk off, it is clean, but it does still have some of the original paint on it.

I like your new toys.....

I would do the same, but I will probably not have a need for them again.......
    My engine was originally silver so it's just exposed aluminum now, I have a few spots where the old paint still is, but it'll be fine when I go to paint it lol.

I LOVE my new toys, I'm so happy to have them. Makes working in the garage a world of a difference!

Comment

Nice.......the motor and the toys, I really wish I could get a compressor for my garage, but that would create all kinds of issues in the complex where I stay.
      That motor cleaned up really nicely, good work there, keep it up.

Comment

The compressor runs VERY quiet, I can talk normally while it's charging.

Comment

Originally posted by Motocrossx23 View Post
          The compressor runs VERY quiet, I can talk normally while it's charging.
          It's the "oil free" compressors (like mine) that are really noisy.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah I had an oil free one, made me want to quit living lol.

I did a lot of research on this particular compressor and bang for the buck/quality wise, you can't beat it.

Comment

From the pics I'd say your motor looks like you got it ready for paint! Good job. Your new tools will make life soooo much easier.

Comment

Package came in the mail today! I got a KILLER deal on NOS parts from Boulevard Suzuki on Cyber Monday...

I then decided to tackle the motor...

Wire wheeled and degreased:

First coat:

Second coat:

And valve cover:

I used VHT Caliper Paint in Cast Aluminum, it's chemical and abrasive resistant and perfect for the motor. I haven't baked any of the parts yet, I will on Sunday.

Woo Hoo!

Comment

Beautiful.......almost brought a tear to my eye......

very nice work on those covers......

you were not thinking of polishing the covers ?

Comment

Just like christmas came early, don't you just love it when all those little packets with the red lables arrive.
                    That motor is looking really nice, also wondered wheather you didn't consider going with polished covers, although the job you have done, looks very very nice.

Comment

I think that that particular paint is the closest to original and it is rated at 900 degrees!
                      When I sprayed it on a freshly cleaned motor, it was very difficult to tell if I HAD painted it on the original parts.

Daniel

Comment

Looks great! Did you have to use a self etching primer first?

Sci85
                        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Looks great! That paint should be plenty durable since it's for brake calipers.... very nice indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                            Beautiful.......almost brought a tear to my eye......

very nice work on those covers......

you were not thinking of polishing the covers ?

Thanks! I was going to do but I disliked the idea of having to polish and keep up with maintenance of it.

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                            Just like christmas came early, don't you just love it when all those little packets with the red lables arrive.
                            That motor is looking really nice, also wondered wheather you didn't consider going with polished covers, although the job you have done, looks very very nice.
                            I absolutely when I get packages lol, I feel like a little kid again for a second!

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                            I think that that particular paint is the closest to original and it is rated at 900 degrees!
                            When I sprayed it on a freshly cleaned motor, it was very difficult to tell if I HAD painted it on the original parts.

Daniel
                            I did my research on here thoroughly, and the consensus was that this paint was the way to go. Just make sure you bake it at 200* for about an hour to heat cure it properly.

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                            Looks great! Did you have to use a self etching primer first?

Sci85
                            No self etching primer because it's not rated for the temp of the engine, I was worried that it'd peel away and compromise the VHT enamel. I just made sure the surface was as clean as possible, I used denatured alcohol and tack clothes to clean the surface.

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
                            Looks great! That paint should be plenty durable since it's for brake calipers.... very nice indeed.
                            I hope so!! I would love to just spray the motor with some quick wax and wipe it down when it's back in the frame.

Comment

Did a little holiday baking today....

Comment

Awesome, Allie will be jealous.
                                But what about the seals on the oil sight glass and the clutch shaft?

Comment

Working...
                                X