'81 650 g (help!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 650 g (help!)

So I've owned my GS for about a year now. It is my first bike and I love it.

The paint never looked that great. I think it was a victim of some over-spray as it sat on the back side of a fence being painted by the PO. I figured the thanksgiving break was the perfect opportunity for me to personalize the bike a little with a new paint job. I painted the tank, plastics, and battery box. While the battery was out, I decided to replace it with a new one since the old one was OLD and didn't seem to be that great.

Now comes the problem. After putting everything back together, I've had nothing but problems.

First, after buying the new battery and filling it with acid, I noticed that the (+) and (-) terminals were switched from the previous battery and on the opposite side from the wires on the bike. I figured I could put the battery in backwards, bolt the starter relay solenoid(I think?) on backwards and have no problem hooking everything up. So I went that route.........after putting everything back together, the real problems began.

Sometimes when I turned the key, nothing happened....no lights, nothing. After making sure that everything was tight and what not, I noticed that wiggling the black (-) wire going to the battery would make the lights come back on. Once the lights were on I would pull in the clutch and push the start button, only to hear a small click followed immediately by the lights going out. After wiggling the (-) wire several more times and trying the start button after the lights came back on, it started! I let it run for a few minutes, shut it off, and it started right back up, so I figured it was karma and that everything was better. I rode it a mile to school and then an hour later rode it a mile back home. 45 minutes after that, it wouldn't start again. Several hours later, still wouldn't start. Had a buddy push me to try to pop start it. It started popping it in first, but ran really crappy for a few minutes and died. Ignition turned on, no lights, nothing. Wiggle (-) wire till lights turn on, push start button, bike starts....runs like crap and dies in a few minutes. Let it sit for an hour. Turn ignition, lights come on, push start button...."click", lights out. Wiggle (-) till lights come on, push start.....eventually it starts, runs crappy but stays running as long as I keep the choke out. Since there's no cover on my air box I think to myself, maybe it's getting too much air? I cover the box with a plastic bag. Bike starts right up and seems to run a little better for a few minutes then dies randomly and hasn't started again for the past few hours. The lights are staying on consistently though, haven't heard the "click" followed by lights out for a while. The motor tries to turn over and gets pretty close to starting, but can't quite make it. It doesn't appear that there are any leaks from airbox to carbs or carbs to head, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the o-rings are original and letting air out. Anyhow, I'm up a creek....and feel like someone stole my paddle and beat me with it.

I know this was a lengthy post.....but I wanted to explain the problem as thoroughly as I could. I don't know a lot about any of this stuff, but I'm trying to learn. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Picture of how it looks now

This is her sitting in my car port as of tonight....she looks sad and cold. The paint is metallic gunmetal with the jet black and cherry red pinstripes

Comment

Battery/Starter relay?

This is how it is now...is that okay?

Comment

Airbox

This is currently what the airbox looks like. I have a new filter on its way....

Comment

Battery properly grounded? I like the paint scheme.
          http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
          1978 GS1000C
          1979 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000E
          2004 Roadstar

Comment

bad battery cable is your problem I suspect. I went through this on an 83 Ford ranger once, and completely replacing the cable fixed the issue.

I'd also verify that the positive is good. actually, replace both battery cables just to be safe. I mean its 29 years old. not a bad idea to just replace them for peace of mind right?

Comment

I have the battery grounded to one of the bolts connecting the battery box to the frame...from what I can tell from the service manual, that's where it belongs. Anyone know for sure?

Comment

Ummm I might be wrong sayin this but it looks like the battery is installed wrong. My 82 650G has the POS (+) post facing the rear of the bike.

BTW, colors look good!

Comment

Charge that battery?

You say you filled the battery with acid, I see no mention of having charged it-did you?
                  sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                  '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                  '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                  '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                  '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                  '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                  '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                  '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                  '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                  '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Yes, I forgot to mention that I charged the battery. The battery IS in the battery box backwards, but I had to put it in that way because the (+) and (-) terminals were switched on the battery (ie. looking at the front of the battery, the (+) terminal is on the left, or toward the front of the bike). At this point, the battery is for sure good. I can turn the key and the lights come on just fine. The motor turns and turns, but never quite gets started.

Comment

Working...
                    X