Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS750L Fire! Need Parts!

Hey guys,

I recently pulled a 1979 GS750L out of my neighbors shed. It had been sitting for ten years and needed a carb rebuild. After rebuilding the carbs (which took quite a while) I put them into the bike and was excited to start them up. My gas tank was rusted as well so while i was derusting, i constructed a temporary fuel resevoir to hold gasoline to start the engine. The engine began to turn over, starting and dying a few times. After about three minutes the engine started. only about 5 seconds after starting, a fire burst from the airbox to the carbs and out of the tailpipes (this was confirmed as the seat was leaning up near the exaust and was caught on fire. I reached for my fire extinguisher and pulled the trigger. No reaction. My brother a weekend before had drained it for "fun" while i was starting up an old Honda Scooter. No hose was nearby and my bike was about to be burnt from history. I ran to my neighbors house and asked him if he had an extinguisher. He didnt but he came with me to help me romove it from the shed to save the shed. we drug it out into the snow where the tires continued burning and many of the other plastic parts were put out. The bike looks dead now. But, this is a rare bike and after alot of thought, i have decided to rebuild it. I need many parts, mostly plastic and wire parts. The speedometer display was blown out as well as the headlight. If anyone has any parts that you can donate/sell or if you would just like to donate a couple bucks, let me know. My paypal email is cmroge02@louisville.edu. I have included pictures of the bike. I home you guys can help me. Even giving me a website to parts would be great! Thanks!

Caleb Rogers

This first pic is from where the bike began to burn and you can see where i drug it out of the barn:

Heres where she lay almost dead the next morning:

Heres her standing for the first time. She looks almost dead but theres still alot of bike left. Please Help Me out!

P.s> I will prepare a list of most parts i think i will need. Most all the electrics i will need as well as plastics such as boots. Thank you!

honestly, given how much the fire did, you'll be better off parting out the bike. its not worth a lot, and its going to cost you quite a bit since you're going to have to do a total teardown now to determine exactly what all needs to be repaired.

from what I'm seeing, the whole wire harnes, headlight bucket are all burned and must be replaced, frame needs to be stripped and repainted, new tires, probably much more as well that we have not noticed, which all adds up fast.

Comment

Maybe true but think of the story that he will be able to tell on that one. I'm looking forward to it and hope everything goes well no matter what you do.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Wow, sorry for your loss and glad the fire wasn't worse.

I'd strip that thing and call it done. It's not a rare bike, in fact, even in nice shape it would be worth less than $2000. If you want a new GS project, someone here can help so all is not lost. Hope you stick around with the community.

Good luck
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Bad luck about the bike .
          I think you've got more front than a rat with a gold tooth asking for money .
          Why don't you hit your brother up for some money ?
          Cheers , Simon .
          http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

the soot on the cases make it look worse. You needed new tires anyway. The electrical system probably had more than it's fair share of gremlins, (you did them a favor). Wiring, do it yourself with the aid of a wiring schematic. Not that hard. Gauges can be found cheap on eb*y. Or, you could just, (can't believe I'm saying this) chop/hack it into a bobber or something of that nature! Can't comment on the rarity of the 750L. It's gonna take quite a bit-o-cash, so chose wisely. I've got some 81 750E parts left over if your interested.

Comment

the simple cost to repair is why I said part out. they're neither rare nor valuable bikes, a clean example here is worth $1000 at most. that one is presently worth $250 tops, and I know its gonna take no less than $300 to get it back to running condition. this is factoring in new wiring, stator probably, not including some of the electrical stuff that probably got charred good, and other similar damages.

then factor in new fork oil and seals, that it will likely need, the new tires, oil, chain and sprockets, since I'm quite sure the fire got near and warm enough to probably FRY the O rings in that chain, if not burn the lubricant out of it.

its just not worth it. part it and cut your losses. being I deal with project and parts bikes daily, I can say with a degree o certainty that it'll go again, BUT you'll need some serious sentimental value, and significant financial support to do it.

Comment

She can keep her scars through the repair. Mechanical order is better than cosmetic

Comment

Working...
                X