1983 GS1100E New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100E New Project

I love GS1100E's and have been trolling for one for some time now. Today we ran across a basket case that we just couldn't pass up.

The previous owner (PO) had put new tires, chain, sprockets and "rhino hide" the whole thing.

Unfortunately the engine blew up. I will attach a photo of the sleeve, but pieces are missing and can only guess they are hiding in the crankcase.

The PO threw in a replacement jug and two pistons. The original/broken jug is bored 2.905. The replacement jug is bored 2.822

The plan is to tear the engine down, see what caused the failure and then build it back up again.

I would appreciate your thoughts what caused the failure.

Also would appreciate your suggestions for sourcing the parts, rebuild options (spare engine anyone?) and how to get it running again and quickly and cheaply as possible.

Thanks,
    Dave

PS - how can I post more that one photo at a time? I have more to share but the system is limiting me to one.

You'll need to get a Photobucket or imageshack account. See Basscliff's site for instructions.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicsalmon View Post
      I love GS1100E's and have been trolling for one for some time now. Today we ran across a basket case that we just couldn't pass up.

The previous owner (PO) had put new tires, chain, sprockets and "rhino hide" the whole thing.

Unfortunately the engine blew up. I will attach a photo of the sleeve, but pieces are missing and can only guess they are hiding in the crankcase.

The PO threw in a replacement jug and two pistons. The original/broken jug is bored 2.905. The replacement jug is bored 2.822

The plan is to tear the engine down, see what caused the failure and then build it back up again.

I would appreciate your thoughts what caused the failure.

Also would appreciate your suggestions for sourcing the parts, rebuild options (spare engine anyone?) and how to get it running again and quickly and cheaply as possible.

Thanks,
      Dave

PS - how can I post more that one photo at a time? I have more to share but the system is limiting me to one.

Pistons come stock 73mm (1074 cm^3) and can be bored 74mm (1133 cm^3) or 75mm (1166 cm^3) and up from there but require replacement sleeves.

sounds like your was bored to 74mm

1134cc2.913"
      74MM10.25:1K1133Cylinder boring only. Includes head gasket601.231168cc2.953"
      75MM10.25:1K1168Cylinder boring only.
      Largest size for stock sleeves Includes head gasket601.23

here are stock 73mm pistons for 1100. GS1100E 80-83 are basically same block and pistons

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...gs1100+pistons

Comment

Working...
      X