No announcement yet.

81 GS750E garage rebuild thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the rear swingarm bearings out, and 1 bushing.. the other one is RUSTED and I will need a real press.... Anyone in the Huntington or Farmingdale area on Long Island have a press I could use for 5 minutes ?

Thanks for all the tips. Oh, and I also got the steering bearing cups off the tree and off the frame, so it's ready for powdercoat, finally - but of course, since it's a batch job I can't go until I get this last rear swingarm suspension bushing out.. Well, win some, lose some ! Keep you posted as more happens..

Oh, and I have some airbags on the way to try to pop the gas tank dent... guess we'll see if I can get those in there and inflated...

Comment

Don't know anyone with a press locally but did you try impact hammer from back side? If you airbag method doesnt work i have a stud welder/puller kit i can lend you. Keep up great work.

Comment

Any comments on whether the cams from the other bikes might work? Or, alternatively, can someone point me to a x-ref for what other cams fit in this bike?
        Free is always better than $
        Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoRallye View Post
          PS - I have a friend that has some extra cams hes willing to give me (if they'll fit!) - but they're for an '80 GS850 and a '79 GS750, but I thought the 79 was an 8-valve and that the 850 was a different engine ... am I smokin somethin good? Or should I just buy the one off rapidray...

Your bike is 16 valve (obviously). 8 valve engine cams ain't gonna get it done.

Good news is you can either use 750 or 1100E cams. Look for a solid pair and go from there.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Your bike is 16 valve (obviously). 8 valve engine cams ain't gonna get it done.

Good news is you can either use 750 or 1100E cams. Look for a solid pair and go from there.
            I think I counted 16 Ya, I just don't know the suzukis well enough to know which ones are 16s and which ones are 8s...

Comment

Originally posted by Dodik View Post
              Don't know anyone with a press locally but did you try impact hammer from back side? If you airbag method doesnt work i have a stud welder/puller kit i can lend you. Keep up great work.
              I picked up an impact hammer and gave it a whirl.. no go. It is IN there. I've tried penetrating oil, but I'm beginning to wonder if I need to find a local machine shop...

Comment

Saw the guys at the local shop that I know... thanks to them (and their press!) I have a rear swingarm with no bushings anymore Off to the powdercoat shop soon !!!

Comment

Still waiting on the replacement motor mount (front one) - the last owner stripped 1 bolt out on it. So.. once thats here, the whole lot goes to the powdercoating place.

I have had the same place recommended by two different people - they want around $550 for the frame, rear swingarm, center stand, kickstand, battery box, rectifier/fuse panel, headlight brackets and motor mounts (oh, and I might do the crash bars too). Is that a fair price?

Oh, and here's a silly question, so does anyone make replacement VIN plates for after PC is done? I know the frame is stamped, but I lose the other stuff, like the date of mfg, etc etc...

I know, a remarkable lack of work done.. I've been sick as a dog... the head cold from hell!

Comment

Oh, and how would you guys recommend sealing the aluminum engine block once I blast it? Obviously I want something oil & gas resistant, and UV stable that can handle the heat... I have an HVLP gun... can you guys recommend anything? I've been eying this at Eastwood ... have you guys had any experience with it.. or anything else that might do the job?

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-extreme-d...lear-8-oz.html

Thanks all...
                    Sorry, no pics, nothing really to take any photos of right now. In a week or so, you'll see some pretty powdercoated items though I have a feeling

Comment

For the block I would used Duplicor 1650 or 1615 engine enamel, for the covers sand them with 2000 wet dry or polish and leave them to use Mothers and polish them a couple times a season. Reqular car way is good to keep them shiney.
                      I have yet to find or even hear of a clear coat that holds up. Even the factory coating once comprimized lets the aluminum oxidize and then flake off.

Comment

Dont laugh, but I just bought a "ding king" at Pep Boys for $20. It's not perfect, but most of the dent in the tank is GONE !
                        The gunk in the photo is some glue residue from the ding king - I just haven't cleaned it off yet. Pretty damn good! Took off a tiny bit of paint, but I don't care since I'm going to repaint anyway... Check it out! You can look in a previous post for the other (pre-ding-king) photo...

WOW...

Comment

I am impressed! I got one of those Ding-King's for Christmas when they first came out and have never taken it out of the box! Wonder where it is....

Comment

Hi guys- silly question, but head gaskets... since I've heard such negative things about the Athena I was going to use Suzuki...
                            Besides creases/poor storage is there anything to worry about if I use NOS vs current dealer stock?

Also, I see a number of 11141-45402 gaskets around but according to Babbitt's it should be a 11141-45401 (replaced by 11141-45410)... does anyone know the differences between the three? They're all GS750s.. not sure on type tho.

Thanks...

Comment

Hi guys... LONG time!! Sorry about that. I was sick, then the holidays, then I was REALLY sick. Now I'm finally getting back into the swing of things. In the time I've been gone, I sent the frame out for powdercoat and got it back. I took a few photos and added them to my Photo album .. Link to the album here

Will start taking more photos. I'm hoping to get the wiring harness back in the frame this weekend... but I'm an idiot, and I didn't take enough photos of the bike pre-full-disassemble... does anyone have links to something showing wiring routing? Some is obvious, some... damned if I remember LOL

For example, where does the horn get mounted? hahaha...

And of course, me being a bonebrain, I forgot to get a few pieces powdercoated. Back to the powdercoater I go.. for example, the top of the triple-tree, the battery box, and I messed up the rear swing arm putting the shock bushings back in, so back it goes too. D'OH!

This is the color I picked for the frame... thoughts?? Hope it works well with the light blue for the

Comment

Wow.

I like the color. Should do the tank that color too!

Comment

Working...
                                X