No announcement yet.

1981 GS650 chopper/bobber project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least it was an L model, if it was a katana we would be coming for you. I would look at tanks for the 450L if you need a smaller tank, similar design but just different enough to work.

You do good work, you anticipated the stress on that part and designed it accordingly. Buy a seat with the largest springs you can fit.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Mocked up with tank/seat/bars:

Comment

Yeah the tank is too big for a hardtailed stock wheel base bike. If you are going as far as you already are cut the triple back bone out and weld in a single piece of tubing. You will have a ton of tanks to pick from that way. I mounted the sportster tank on mine and I don't like the way it sits. After my cafe is done I'll be cutting the back bone out of my 650 to let the tank sit lower.

Comment

Wowza, you mean business!

Out of curiosity, what did you do with the luggage rack you took off?

Comment

Good on ya for thinking outside the box... I wanna keep an eye on the progress. So keep the updates / pics coming!

Comment

haha yeah its gonna be a different bike for sure... Having an inline 4 with ape hangers, suicide shift and a hardtail...oh well its my first project ive ever done and thats what im going with...worst case scenario if i dont like it when its all said and done, i can change stuff haha

Comment

Keep the pictures coming, it looks like it is gonna be areally intersting project indeed, good job

Comment

Before I mounted gas tank:

Welded Bolts to bottom of tank to remount it:

Bolts going through previous holes in the frame:

Tank mounted in place:

Goodbye old mounting tabs:

Comment

Used old mounting bracket for the tank to make a custom seat hinge:

Seat mounted on frame:

Seat mounted on frame:

Seat/tank new locations:

Me testing it out haha:

Comment

Working...
                    X