1978 GS1000 Skunk Rebuild and Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS1000 Skunk Rebuild and Mods

Just wanted to drop in to say hello and post some info on a new project I hope to get started on soon. Purchased a rough 78 skunk last summer from a close friend with the intentions of making it a new race bike(AHRMA....already running 350 sportsman....really dont need another race bike).....but now i'm kind of leaning on making it a nice cafe street bike, with some modern suspension mods. Not sure yet how i'm gonna go with this......figure it out as I go.

Anyways....here are a few pics of the bike as I purchased it last summer...non running.

After some new intake manifolds, battery, and some carb cleaning/sync....its now a runner. Still think the valve seals need replaced....but will get into those here soon.

Really like the way 80GS100's bike came out with the updated mods....so this may take the same route.

Ohhh...and since we like pics.......thought i'd share a couple pics of my last project.....CB350 Sportsman race bike. All alloy body work built by me.
    Before:

After:

Overall the GS is a nice bike and will be a blast to ride.......cant wait to start tearing into it.

MORE SOON!
    Greg
    Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2010, 10:35 AM.

The windscreen looks a little too large for it but otherwise a very sharp looking skunk!

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      The windscreen looks a little too large for it but otherwise a very sharp looking skunk!

Daniel
      Yeah.....havent decided yet if I want to run the Mad Max style Dunstall fairing.

Comment

Cool skunk!! I love those classic solo seats. That fairing is cool too. Huge, maybe yes, but at least it looks aerodynamic and not a like barn door.

Looking forward to progress

Comment

Originally posted by ohiocaferacer View Post
          Yeah.....havent decided yet if I want to run the Mad Max style Dunstall fairing.
          I like it. An old fairing for an old bike.

Comment

You're going to love the GS. Nice job on the honda. Did you make the tank yourself? and what are all the braided lines going into and around the carb?
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              You're going to love the GS. Nice job on the honda. Did you make the tank yourself? and what are all the braided lines going into and around the carb?
              Yes.....I build the alloy vintage race tanks. Start out as a 4x8 flat sheet of aluminum.....after some hammering and welding.....wholla....nice new race tank.

The lines are all the carb vent lines. All lines have to be vented into a catch tank so they dont get on the track. So....kind of overkill....I did them in braided lines and attached them to the alloy catch tank/combo rear fender I made.

Comment

Fast looking CB, Greg.
                I remember looking through the Todd Henning website a couple years ago and nearly fainting at the costs involved. Great to see the result of a self-made race bike.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Ohio?

racer where in ohio do you live. i live just a little south of chillicothe i love the under pan on the race bike. did you fab it also. get that skunk road ready and we could tear up some ohio twisties. i have a highly modified 83 1100. my bike was done back in 2005 all the work was done by me..
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2010, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Hey Greg, Looks like you do good work, really good work.
                    Lots of Skunk lovers around here.
                    Welcome to GSR!
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by xDUKEx View Post
                      racer where in ohio do you live. i live just a little south of chillicothe i love the under pan on the race bike. did you fab it also. get that skunk road ready and we could tear up some ohio twisties. i have a highly modified 83 1100. my bike was done back in 2005 all the work was done by me..
                      Nice ride......i'm south of Columbus in Grove City.

There are several of us that meet weekly up here in Columbus on mondays and wednesday for the CO-OH Vinmoto group. When the weather breaks....you should ride up and hang. Couple guys have old GS's.....and one guy rides his XS650 from Lancaster. Good time!

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        Fast looking CB, Greg.
                        I remember looking through the Todd Henning website a couple years ago and nearly fainting at the costs involved. Great to see the result of a self-made race bike.
                        Yeah.......I know Todd Henning and Buff Harsh pretty good, their stuff is top notch.

Thanks for the ups on the Honda....hopefully the skunk will turn out just as nice.

Comment

The fairing even matches the Skunk in colors and stripes. The solo seat is pretty cool too! So you're planning on running modern suspension? I would assume that you will be going the mono shock route as well. If you are, I got dibs on those Yoshimura shocks

Comment

if your deciding not to run that dunstall fairing.. Let me know. If i can't use it , i have several friends that would love to it. LETME KNOW

Comment

Originally posted by ohiocaferacer View Post
                              Nice ride......i'm south of Columbus in Grove City.

There are several of us that meet weekly up here in Columbus on mondays and wednesday for the CO-OH Vinmoto group. When the weather breaks....you should ride up and hang. Couple guys have old GS's.....and one guy rides his XS650 from Lancaster. Good time!
                              I'm from Lancaster, maybe I'll stop by sometime!

Comment

Working...
                              X