GS750 Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 Makeover

My 79 GS750 just failed its MOT test on the steering head bearings. Still handles great, but the MOT man would not let it go. So now my dilema !, I`ve always been one of those who thinks "if it ain`t broke don`t fix it". The GS still runs/handles great after 15 years of abuse, being my main transport year round, but she does look a bit tatty now. Set me to thinking if I have to do the head bearings & all that involves, removing wheel, forks etc, maybe I should go the whole hog and stip the bike down for a re-build ?. Don`t think I want to mess with the engine, no doubt some things need attention but like I said it runs great, so maybe just clean it up and give it a lick of paint. The frame is the thing that really could do with sprucing up, pretty rusty in places. Still can`t decide whether to get it blasted & powder coated or clean it up and paint it.
    Think I may need to renew the swing arm bushes, definitely the rear shocks too. Other things I guess grips if I have to cut the old ones off and seat cover, as its held pretty much held together with tape and the base rusting too. Can any of the other Brits on here suggest where I could get the bushes, a new seat cover etc. Don`t think Bran-Bardsley are around anymore, doubt Ulimoto or M&P will stock the bushes. Also need to scource some good but inexpensive shocks. The whole makeover reluctantly is going to have to be on the cheap, due to being out of work.
    I`ll try to post a few pics of the bike before I start. Meanwhile any advice, suggestions much appreciated. Still nervous about pulling my baby apart, so need some encouragement. My wife has already told me I can`t use the kitchen sink again for carb cleaning, or my spray gun attachment for the vacuum cleaner and definitely not the oven for heating up parts !.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

For bearings (bushes?) and seals, try http://www.kamandirect.com/products/...s/products.asp they are Worldwide.
    Give them the numbers off of your old parts and they will find them. Usually MUCH less expensive than O.E.M. for the same part.

Daniel

Comment

Have a look at Wemoto - they've got your swinger bearings plus tapered headrace bearings.

Suzuki motorcycles and scooters are going from strength to strength. If you own one then look no further than Wemoto to get all your motorcycle parts online.

They've also got the seat cover (don't buy the cheaper one - they're crap with a capital 'K').

If your frame is tatty I'd suggest powder coating. My local guys charge me £80 for a frame and it comes back better than new (cash helps avoid the dreaded VAT). If you throw in all the other black bits at the same time you'll save as well (swinging arm, footrests, battery holder, brackets etc). If you try and paint it yourself you'll spend a month rubbing down and then another month cutting back the overspray.

Sounds like you need to buy the Missus a bunch of flowers - always works for me after I've used the dishwasher, sink, oven etc....
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks chaps, I`ll give those places a call. I`d forgotten about Wemoto, got brake pistons and seals from them a while back. I`d better check out the local florists well in advance !!. Wonder whether flowers would buy me space on the kitchen worktop for cleaning up the engine, bit cold in the garage just now ?, second thoughts that might be pushing things a bit !.
        "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
        1978 GS750
        1979 GS750 chop
        1979 GS550
        2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
        2000 Enfield Bullet 500
        1992 XV750 Virago
        2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Working...
        X