Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new GS450

I bought my first motorcycle last week: a 1980 GS450ET

The story is, the bike has been under a tarp for the last 10 years but I don't know anything before then. It was last registered in 1983 and has 2500 miles. I paid $250. It has no title, keys, battery, or side covers.

The plan is to revive the bike and make it legal and safe; learn to ride; fulfill a life goal;

I don't have storage or work spaces where I live so it's at my Father-in-law's farm, 1.5 hours away. In the last week I've read as much as I can and I really like this site and BikeCliff's.

I'm going to start by finding the key code and having a new set of keys made (not from the stealer). Then I'll overhaul the fuel system replacing old rubber and cleaning out varnished fuel. Then I'm going to change the oil and plugs, pre-lube and see if I can get it started. If that works, I'll go from there: valve adjustment, charging system check, new tires, brakes, lights, etc.

I'm can't spend a lot of money. This project is only allowed to have a minimum budget. That said, it has to be safe. Basically, I'm going to do work myself, enjoy it, and cut bait if it isn't working out. Hopefully the parts are worth some.

Pictures are coming! I'm learning about my Picasa service. I'm going out to work on the bike on Saturday, so I'll take some better pictures.

Here's a picture from the night I bought it. As you can see the seat is in excellent condition. There is no fairing but there is a "sissy bar". These are relevant because the last two characters on the id tag are scratched off and I suppose that could mean it's an ST instead of an ET. I plan on removing the sissy bar and selling it to fund the project. It's in great condition.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. agranner,

I like to say, "It looks like you've got a diamond in the rough." You'll find lots of GS lovin' on my little website. What you don't find there you can certainly find here.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Welcome Aubrey, that actually looks to be in reasonable condition going by that one photo.

Good to see another twin coming back to life hopefully.

Feel free to have a look through my rebuild thread in my signature, it may or may not help you along.

Good luck!
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Why do I get the feeling that your bike is an 'S' model? Did 'E' models come in the black and red/orange colors?

Great looking bike! I'll be watching this one too! Keep us updated.

If you have trouble getting a title, send me a PM. I know a guy that can get you a title within one week.

Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, the condition was surprising to me. There is some surface rust but except for the side covers and the battery it's very complete. All the switches and guages are excellent. The seat especially looks brand new.

I'm going out to work on the bike tomorrow, so I'll get some better pictures in the daylight.

Comment

Great bike for starting out on both in the sense of riding and wrenching which you'll learn is an integral part of old bike ownership.

You've been doing your reading, so I'll not blather on about what you need to do other than say if you want it to run right and be dependable, take the time and a) clean and rebuild the carbs b) clean and rebuild the brakes c) check the electricals and make sure you're charging properly.

These old beauties are often plagued with electrical issues and 9 times out of 10 its caused by dirty or corroded connectors and or faulty grounds. Cleaning and or replacing connectors and contacts will go a long way in sorting out the majority of issues. To help you trace problems you will need a digital multimeter and a circuit test lamp both of which are quite inexpensive these days at most automotive/ farm supply type stores.

Now get to it and lets see what you can do.

Enjoy.
              Spyug

Comment

I got my photo setup working ("thanks honey"). Here are the pictures from the night I bought it. More coming later today.

Last edited by Guest; 01-15-2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Here is a picture of a 80 450S.You have an E,just so you know.

Comment

First work day

Let's start out with some better pictures:

The wiring looks a little fried. I wonder what I'll find when I dig into it.

Done for the day! Tank off, key code found, carbs off and coming home for a rebuild with Mr. Robert Barr's o-rings.

Quick question #1: why are my chokes on the side? I thought they were supposed to be on a cable.

Quick question #2: The sissy bar is not my style. I'd like to sell it. What is it worth? Which brackets will I need if I want to add a separate luggage rack?

I love working on bikes! It's so much easier than cars.

Comment

That looks exactly like mine except for the fairing. Maybe that got lost along the way. On the other hand, I don't have the bar-end mirrors so maybe it is an E. Doesn't sound like there are many differences between an E and S. See photos in the post above.

Comment

Faring,gold wheels,bar ends and body color front fender instead of chrome.Nothing wrong with an E,I bought one new.

Comment

Congrats on the new bike, like everyone else has said, it is pretty good nick, not too much work to be done there, and you should be riding pretty soon.
                          I am with you on the sissy bar, not for me either, looks much better without it.
                          Hope you have many enjoyable miles on it.

Comment

Definitely an E, just like mine except mine's an '81.

The choke on the 450's is on the side, nothing wrong with yours, that's where it's supposed to be.

I intend to try to get a bar mounted choke lever at mine down the track a bit with my rebuild.

At this stage, I'm going to investigate using some GSXR left controls as they have a choke lever on there.
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I was thinking it was a stripped down "S" because of the colors. Didn't know the "E" came in that color.

But yes, yours is an "E" with the chrome front fender and the black rims where as an "S" would have had gold rims and a matching fender. Not to mention the fairing and the bar end mirrors.

Now if I were you, I'd take down that backrest ASAP!

EDIT:
                              Wow! I totally missed the previous posts! You already took down the backrest and people have already mentioned the differences between the "E" and the "S models.
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-15-2011, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X