No announcement yet.

Nitrous street 1166

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a short little video. We made an exhaust sniffer and we're just mocking up the setup here.

Comment

This is an interesting read about break-in... http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I think it's over the top but the point about using load to seat the rings is valuable. No babying the engine allowed.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Great writeup. Lookin good.

Comment

Another video of our exhaust sniffer on the bike with the wideband gauge connected.

Comment

Motoman the breakin & it will haul the mail for MANY miles or it will show you where it's weak right from the beginning. Ray.

Comment

Sounds good Ray - No babying allowed.. I guess I can live with that

Comment

Here is sniffer version 2.0. The original one was starting to melt so I made this one out of a block of aluminum and some flexible copper tube and some compression fittings. I milled the one side flat so that the sealing washer on the O2 sensor has a nice sealing surface.

I also have a doner bike for a 3" over swing arm that should help keep the front end down when I hit the juice.

More in depth analysis of the air/fuel to come this weekend.

Comment

I got it all rigged up. Here is a video of a 3rd gear pull going full throttle at ~3500rpm. Notice the super rich condition at 5k rpm and then it smooths back out. I have 140 mains in. What do you guys think is causing this rich condition at 5.5k which equalizes out at about 6000? You can hear the engine miss a few times if you listen closely.

Edit: Other things to be noted - My brother is on the back holding the camera around my waist. Probably an extra 380lb total rider weight + weight of the bike. (we had many jackets and gloves etc. on.) And it's 25 degrees F out! (it's only going to get richer)

CLICK THE PICTURES TO WATCH THE VIDEO!

Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2011, 11:57 PM.

Comment

don't tell me you had one hand on the camera during that!

Comment

I edited the post with more details ^^^

Comment

I dropped in the 135's. Bike runs much cleaner now, AFR is improving but there is still this interesting rich spot when held at a constant WOT when the RPMs get between 5500-6000RPM.

Cruising at 60mph and looking at AFR tells me needles need to be dropped a knotch to lean out the midrange.

Comment

So, you have the guage permanently mounted now? Do you have a V&H pipe? Where did you install the sensor in the pipe? Right after the collector? or before the baffle?

Comment

The gauge is not permanently mounted, but nicely temporarily mounted. The O2 Sensor is mounted in the sniffer (the copper and aluminum piece in the posts above) I'm hoping to use this sniffer, wideband combo on other motorcycles and toys to tune them.

I just shove one end of the sniffer down the exhaust pipe, put it a little ways down the collector so it reads a combination of the 4 cylinders. You can get a long tube and put it up each individual header pipe and tune each carb, but that's over kill IMO. Then I just clamp the sniffer on the end of the exhaust using a hose clamp and a rivited piece of aluminum bolted to the sniffer manifold. I cut the elastic part of a few socks off to make some protecting rings to put around the exhaust between the hose clamp so i didn't hurt the finish.

Connect switched power to the gauge and you're ready to go.

(in the video below you see version 1.0 of the sniffer)

Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Good stuff. Do you have the part numbers of the stuff used for the afr kit? looking to do something like that my self as cheap as possible.

thanks Krank

Comment

I just an innovate MTX-L which I got on eBay. It is a priceless tool in tuning.

Here's a link

Comment

Working...
                                X