No announcement yet.

'81 GS450L Cafe Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey gj, i was wondering how you secured the seat to the frame. I have a 79gs850 and the frame under the seat angles down, and was thinking i had to weld on 2 bars to make it flat before i put the seat on. Was your frame flat or did it have a slant? if so how did you fix that?

Comment

I have not secured it yet (the wife doesn't want to let me fiberglass in the house again lol) so i am waiting for a nice week of weather to add some more layers and bondo to it. On my 81 it has a bar across the front, i'll take some picture of the frame when I get home tonight with some mock ups of how the seat will fit for you.

Comment

Originally posted by gjohnson View Post
        the wife doesn't want to let me fiberglass in the house again lol
        I'd say - you really pushed it with that one! No way that would EVER fly with mine. Nor could I get away with trying to bake any powder coated pieces in the oven... she's already preemptively warned me against that one after hearing about someone who did that... lol

It's looking good - I'm on the fence about going that route myself - the DIY'er in me wants to do it and I may due to my wallets situation... but the thought of the ease of just getting something ready made is very enticing and would have me riding sooner. Anyway, I like your idea of making a plug / mold - so that you could make others. Heck sell a few on ebay and it could pay back the effort.

Comment

Unfortunately, the plug got destroyed after removing it. I was going to bondo it for later use, but got impatient and wrapped it with duct tape instead. But I guess I could wax the inside of this tail and use it as a female mold. Or plaster over the top of it.

I should be home in about an hour to take pics of the mount for ya.

Comment

Alright here are some pictures.

I am thinking the best way to mount it will be to weld a flat plate between the two bars and cut off the back of the subframe. The fiber glass will need some more coats and metal washers in between layers for bolt stability. Then I'll bondo any low spots and sand it all down.

I figure the metal plate will help with any flexing and allow me to bolt the seat to the frame with about 6 to 8 bolts.

I might have to use a 1/2 inch block on the first bar to raise it up so it doesn't have a downward slant.

Comment

You're going to lower the seat a bit right? or is that the thickness you're going for? What about the frame - after all that are you going to at least rattle can it?

Comment

Yeah i will be cutting about 1 inch off of the bottom of the seat. the frame will be powder coated I have some cutting to do on it first though.

Comment

Nice the powder coat really gives it a pro touch.

Comment

Yeah... but it's spendy.. about $300

Comment

Awesome plans!!! That seat needed it but I didn't want to step on your toes. Please keep the updates coming.
                      Speaking of which, I'm about due to update my "L" thread.

Comment

The only thing that is limiting it right now is funds getting married next month so that has been #1 priority (saving so i can stay out of the red on it.) Once that is paid for and out of the way I hope to be able to make some real progress on it. I might break down and go buy some polishing wheels/cutting wheels to start getting rid of dead weight on the frame and polishing up the engine.

Slow and steady wins the race lol.

Comment

Made some good progress last night:

+ Trimmed up the seat (took 3/4 of a inch off the bottom of it)
                          + Cut the frame down a bit for the seat to sit flush. (I ended up cutting the two seat supports and about 4 inches off of the back sub frame. the seat will sit nice and flush now)
                          + Hand beat some knee dents in the tank (This took a while as I have never really worked with metal. I wanted to take my time.) It is a good start but will take a lot more shaping.

And now for the fun part...

Comment

Looks good so far. I may have missed it, but what are the plans for a taillight? I'll admit, I read the first and last page for now.........

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
                              Looks good so far. I may have missed it, but what are the plans for a taillight? I'll admit, I read the first and last page for now.........
                              I was just wondering the same thing. I was thinking about maybe getting a billet tail light and mounting it on the frame with a plate holder. I have to add some more layers of glass to it so i might try to integrate it into the fiberglass for a smoother look. Still up in the air for now.... but tonight I am getting some bondo so i can finish up that tank this weekend and get it ready for paint.

Comment

Made some more progress on the tank, started the bondo on the knee dents. got 3 layers on with sanding in between. Tomorrow is the final sanding (hopefully) and then some primer.

Supposed to be 82 degrees tomorrow, so it should be fine to spray outside.

Now for the pics

Safety first!

First layer went on pretty thick, took a while to sand it all down for the 2nd layer.

3rd (possibly last) layer

Comment

Working...
                                X