Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is anyone familiar with the Z1 bolt kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is anyone familiar with the Z1 bolt kit?

I hope this is the right place for this, but I am replacing most of the stock hardware on my bike, and was refered to this.
    Can anyone who purchased this set let me know what bolts/srews it replaces? Heres a link to the kit in question: http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1094

so far I am interested in replacing the screws for the alternator cover, clutch cover, and the one with the gear pattern imprinted on it.
    just in case I am off with the names:
    Clutch cover

Alternator cover

I really dont know what this one is called.

If there are any other bolts/screws that it replaces I would like to know that too

I also am thinking about replacing the srews on the carb holders

(I am willing to go to King Bolt to go get these)

Thanks for your time to read this, and all constructive input is appreciated.

The Z1 kit includes the engine side cover bolts you reference, and also includes those for the valve cover, round cylinder head beauty caps, and the ignition cover.

For those intake boots, cycleorings.com sells both the intake boot O-rings and new stainless screws also. Leaking O-rings is one of the most common GS problems so please change them before installing the carbs again.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I dont have any personal experience with the bolt kits from Z1 but I do have minimal experience with other items purchased from them and they are one of the best there is.

Looks like you're gonna need an impact driver before ya do too much more of anything.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        The Z1 kit includes the engine side cover bolts you reference, and also includes those for the valve cover, round cylinder head beauty caps, and the ignition cover.

For those intake boots, cycleorings.com sells both the intake boot O-rings and new stainless screws also. Leaking O-rings is one of the most common GS problems so please change them before installing the carbs again.
        the beauty caps? are they those round top ones? kind of like a car's lug nuts?

oh, they have the bolts too? I was going to get the o-rings for sure, now I can get the bolts from the same place

Originally posted by Octain View Post
        I dont have any personal experience with the bolt kits from Z1 but I do have minimal experience with other items purchased from them and they are one of the best there is.

Looks like you're gonna need an impact driver before ya do too much more of anything.
        yeah, I used an impact driver and got all but 5 screws out, 3 on one side and 2 on the other. I havent even tried with the intke boots yet, but some of those bolts are about as hard as feta cheese

Comment

Be careful with the intake bolts. Ya dont wanna round off any of the heads, or worse, break em off. Aint fun!
          An extention on your driver might help.

Im thinkin if ya couldnt get ALL the cover screws out without rounding em ya might not have very much luch with the intake boots.
          Does the bit fit perfectly?
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

yeah, some of the screws came out after a few whacks with the hammer. Others took a little longer and those 2 or 3 that you can see in the pics have about an hours worth of work done to each them.

Comment

If need be, take a dremel with a cutting wheel and cut a long slot in each screwhead. Then take your standard head screwdriver or a chisel and slowly but firmly hit the end with a hammer so that you are turning the screw counterclockwise. This will help loosen it up if your impact driver wouldn't do it and doesn't hurt much else especially since you are replacing them. In fact, this may be your only option with the intake boots if the impact driver doesn't work for you after taking out the air box.

Also, this is your secondary drive unit cover for the shaft

Originally posted by JCSkokos View Post
              I really dont know what this one is called.

If there are any other bolts/screws that it replaces I would like to know that too

I also am thinking about replacing the srews on the carb holders

(I am willing to go to King Bolt to go get these)

Thanks for your time to read this, and all constructive input is appreciated.
              Last edited by cowboyup3371; 01-22-2011, 02:19 AM.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I tried the impact driver on what screws it would fit on on the intake boots and got one out, and one was completely stripped with one hit. the other 6 I cannot get a hammer to the driver due to the frame in the way.
                please tell me the stainless bolts wont soften up like this in a few years when I finally get them on there.

also a side note/question: The bolts appear to be the 16mm long ones, does anyone know the diameter of the needed o-rings for the intake boots?
                The inside diameter of the carb side of the boots are about 38mm.

Comment

Working...
                X