bolt sizes, and other important info not in fsm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bolt sizes, and other important info not in fsm

I have searched, didn't find anything, I have gone through my fsm for the 1980 gs550, regarding changing the clutch, and I don't want to start the job to find out i am missing a tool, Does anyone here know what socket sizes i will need, will i need any hex wrench / allen wrench type sockets too? I want to do this right the first time with no half ass shortcuts you know. thanks

You should be fine with regular sockets. 7mm-12mm and maybe an extension will work. Can't think of much else.

Springs bolts are 10mm I think, I know they arent bigger than 12. The covers should be 7mm, everything inbetween and you're golden.

No allen's needed from what I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
      http://members.dslextreme.com/users/storagecliff/images/clutch_odds-n-ends.html

You should be fine with regular sockets. 7mm-12mm and maybe an extension will work. Can't think of much else.

Springs bolts are 10mm I think, I know they arent bigger than 12. The covers should be 7mm, everything inbetween and you're golden.

No allen's needed from what I recall.
      The tools necessary depend greatly on one thing: WHAT BIKE ARE YOU WORKING ON???

Ranger's newer bike might have the 7 mm head bolts that he mentioned, some older bikes will have Phillips-head screws.
      Or a previous owner might have installed Allen-head screws.

But, yeah, once you get the cover off, a 10 mm socket will remove the pressure plate and disk pack.

Oh, if you leave the bike on the side stand, you don't even need to drain the oil.

Are you just changing the springs (usually all it needs) or going the expensive route and changing the fibers, too.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        The tools necessary depend greatly on one thing: WHAT BIKE ARE YOU WORKING ON???
        [/QUOTE]I have gone through my fsm for the 1980 gs550, regarding changing the clutch, [/QUOTE]

Steve, he stated that in the first post.

Comment

If you are changing the fibre plates keep them in order and make sure the steel plates are keeped facing the right way. They are stamped out when there made and have a flat side and a curved side. And soak the new fibre plates over nite in oil if you can. And undo the 10mm clutch spring bolts gradually taking turns going around diagonally. Do the same when tightening themalso. dont need to be tight just firm.

Comment

Working...
          X