Update Update Update.........

Comment

Paul?????????????????????????
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Okay I did not update because, I forgot that Adam had duty yesterday. Since he has been an instrumental part of this build I wanted to wait for him. He gets off this morning. After he gets home and unwinds a bit we are going to take her on her trial run. I did however go over and get the newly powder coated side covers put on.

I also took the time to go over every nut and bolt I could reach and make sure it was snug. Made sure the side covers were on secure so I don't lose them going down the road. Attached the license plate. Checked the chain tension.

Beside if Adam was not there who was going to video the ride.

Paul

Comment

Well went over this morning got the bike ready for her trial run, and low and behold #1 and #3 carbs are leaking out the overflow tubes. I have already redone the floats once. #2 and #4 have quit leaking, but looks like we will be taking the carbs off again on Monday and readjusting the floats again. Then as we were topping off the brake fluid and bleeding off the brakes, the master cylinder seal gives out and all brake fluid begins to run out the bottom of the cylinder. We did not let this deter the first run. I did not take her out on the road like I wanted to instead I ran her up and down the drive way, you will see he has a long drive way. Well here are the pictures. Video of me going and then of me coming back.

Front view of the bike

Side view of the bike with the Parade Sub in the background. We also are refurbishing the sub.

A little better view of the bike

And now the video of me going in my high water flanel lined pants (Hey they keep me warm)

And then me returning.

Master cylinder rebuild kit is on its way should have it on Tuesday, and should have the carbs sorted by then. We will take more video then when we can take a bit of a longer ride.

But I am so happy just to ride it up and down the driveway. It felt good and responded good to the throttle. I am stoked. If we get all the bugs worked out this week we are thinking of a two hour ride around the roads in and around town, next weekend. Should be a good way to find out all the problems if there are any left by then.

Paul

Paul
          Paul

Paul

Comment

Awesome news Paul! Glad to see you got her up and down the driveway despite the little setbacks

Bet you can't wait to get that master cylinder kit in...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Awesome Paul, I really am so happy for you, don't sweat the little problems, there is not a rebuild on this earth that does not have them, if those two little issues are your only problems, you have done very well.
              may she bring you many happy and safe hours on the road.

Comment

WOO HOO!!!

The powder coat came out great!

What's with the submarine? That a model, or a remote-control deal? That thing is HUGE.

Comment

Expecting some summer rain?

Comment

Submarine is a scale model of US attack submarine we use in parades for Public Relations. Not remote its actually welded to the trailer at one point. We have to and finish welding it at the other two points. Paint it and clear coat it.

Paul

Comment

Way to go Paul.....glad to see it's running and under it's own power, that is a good thing...

A couple of small items left, and you'll be riding off into the sunset before you know it...

Ride Safe....

Cheers

Comment

Well we strippe off the carbs yesterday reset the floats on #1 and #3. Then buttoned her all up and put em back on. We ran it for a few minutes and then went and worked on the Sub restoration while we waited to see what happened. Nothing woo hoo problem solved, well lets add more gas to the tank to make sure. So we put in about a gallon of gas. No leaks. We go back to working on Sub. Come back in 45 minutes later no leaky.. woo hoo. So we go ahead and take off the rear master cylinder for the brakes, going to go ahead and strip it down in preparation for the rebuild kit that is suppose to be in today. While we are working on brake cylinder we here a splash .... #2 carb is now leaking. I must have done something to it while I had the covers off. I had all four off so that we could look at the different float heights. It was apparent that 1 and 3 were definetly different. Well we crimped off the fuel line with forceps to make sure no more fuel got to the carbs and are going to pull them again today after we put the brakes back together. Only pulling off the #2 cover today. Wish me luck.

Paul

Comment

Good luck Paul!
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Maybe you mentioned it previously, but I didn't see it. What bars are those?

Comment

Those are custom designed specailly made just for this bike....okay they are actually the original L Bars that come with the bike...with some modification. I took them and put them in a vice and bent them out so they did not sweep back so bad and give an uncomfortable ride. I must say I really do like them on the short ride up and down the drive way. I can't wait to give it a longer ride and see how they feel. That and how they feel going down the highway.

Paul

Comment

Interesting. I don't think I've seen another thread where someone did that with their L bars. How did you make sure they are equally bent? Did you have to switch cable lengths?

Comment

Working...
                                X