No announcement yet.

GS 550L Gets a make over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul old buddy, I don't want to cause you any worry, and I know it might sound like a stupid question, but you did make sure there was no piston up at TDC that a valve could kiss when you gave it a good rap, right?

Now where are the pics of the newly painted engine.......you know we like pics.............

Comment

Well I have never shied away from showing my ignorance and I won't this time either. No I did not check and now that you mention it I think I will run down stairs and do so. Besides have to get the camera out of the car to get the pictures. I am hoping that I did not leave it at TDC. We will soon find out.

Edit:

Good news was not TDC thank goodness did not even think of that.... now on to the eye candy
      I had one real pooling effect and it was on the breather cover.

Paul
      Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2011, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Wow, what a tranformation, that motor is looking very very nice, I like your work.

Comment

Looking good!
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
            How do you get the old Exhaust gaskets out. I tried to pop them out with a small flat head screwdriver but they were not budging and I don't want to mess up my exhaust ports. Anyone got any ideas?
            The gaskets are made of alu tin so a small screwdriver (or even better an angled seal puller) should work in twisting them out.
            Or maybe there are none in
            GS850GT

Comment

if there is a clean face where you can clearly see the corners of the side & the back, there's no gasket in there. If you can see a slight lip at the inside or outside edge of the "gasket area" then there IS a gasket in there and you need a bit of creativity to get it out. I usually use a screwdriver from the side across the port and into the inside edge of the opposite side of the gasket, a couple slight sharp raps of a hammer on the back of the screwdriver and a flick and it's out. Of course you need to be a little more gentle if recycling, but when doing a big thing like you are, why go and do things half-arsed like that over a tiny part?

Comment

There is no doubt that they are in there. I thought of the hammer tap on the screw driver but was very leary did not want to screw something up. I have new exhaust gaskets to go back in. They were cheap enough. Hopefully this weekend things will work out and the engine can go back into the frame. Waiting on oil seals for the front forks ( friendly neighborhood UPS guy) and I still need to paint the rims. I need to put some alcohol or MEK through the tank a couple times then put the petcock and fuel sender back in with some gas to keep the rust at bay. Going with naked tank inside. It looks good still. Anyway that is where I stand for now.

Paul

Comment

Good progress Paul, seems like it's coming along well. Have you got an old flathead screwdriver that you can put the tip in a vice and bend it over to for a 90 degree end? Those come in quite handy for exhaust gaskets and o-rings removal...

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
                    Have you got an old flathead screwdriver that you can put the tip in a vice and bend it over to for a 90 degree end? Those come in quite handy for exhaust gaskets and o-rings removal...
                    yup, that's what i had in mind in the post above:

...or even better an angled seal puller...
                    GS850GT

Comment

Well here is a quick update:

After following the advice of my fellow forum members, a flathead screwdriver and a hamer later I got all four popped out. Lets just say they were in there quite well. I do like the idea of the bent flathead screwdriver I can see where that would have come in handy many a time.

-Installed the Cam cover and gasket did not really torque it because I will be removing it later to fix the clearance issues.
                      -Gpt the starter reinstalled
                      -Stator cover is re-installed with gasket after making sure the starter gear is lined up right
                      -Old exhaust gaskets were removed

Next question, I believe I still have the originally tap plates in the valve buckets. Does anyone know what thickness they are? I could not find it in my manual. Have not had the opportunity to search Basscliff yet. But there are no markings on the plates in there right now, which leads me to believe they are the stock ones. I read that shim plates all have the size marked on them. If that is the case I can go a couple sizes smaller than the stock plates and that should do it. After tapping the buckets with the hammer I now have three valves that pass clearance.. unfortunately that still leaves me with 5 that don't.

This afternoon I am hoping to get the engine mounts cleaned up and if my source is available get them PCed along with the sissy bar. If not I will just paint them with VHT and bake em. Time to get off the comp and start work before uncle sam gets mad.

Paul

Comment

Well could not get to the PC source last night do to family obligations.

-Took a wire wheel to the engine mounts got em cleaned up and painted this morning. Baked them in the oven for 50 minutes and all done.

-repacked the steering stem bearings and re-installed the stem and lower fork bracket.

-took the shocks apart cleaned them up and put them back together without the cups.

Not to mention the weather has not been to great today:

Okay I really just wanted to show off my lovely truck.

Realized I am not going to be able to put the engine in until I get the center stand finished and the fork seals come in so that I can put a front tire on. Speaking of front tires I found out why my new tire was leaking air... The wheel is bent at an edge. I intend on taking my wheels to the bike shop on monday and having them remove the tires. I will then take the good wheel into have it blasted and PCed along with my rear tire. If I can get all of that done on Monday, my fork seals are suppose to be in on Tuesday. I can then take the wheels over to the bike shop and have them reinstall my tires.

Woot sounds like I may have a rolling chasis by Next weekend. Sweet.

Paul
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2011, 05:33 PM. Reason: add photos

Comment

Mate that's great progress! I can't see four of those pic's though

Getting to a rolling chassis is an accomplishment in itself, you will feel great when you can wheel it round making bike noises

sigpic

Comment

Hey Paul, that is looking s s s s suuuuuppper sweet, looks like you are making headway with a vengence there, keep up the good work.

PETE SAID
                            you will feel great when you can wheel it round making bike noises
                            Oh, you do that to..............

Comment

Yay I can see all the pic's now... looking real good Paul

And Flyboy... ssssh... don't tell everyone ok? Even though I already did

sigpic

Comment

I do that too but normally my little helper is on back and we have to "run errands around town" oh and she has to drive me every once in a while.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X