Newb w/ a 1983 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb w/ a 1983 GS750E

Hi there! I've been reading over this site for a few days now and there's all sorts of information, and most people seem very friendly. With that being said, I've only been riding for one season, but I wanted to learn more about fixing/rebuilding my own bikes. Rather than tear into my other perfectly fine bike, I thought I'd try to find a project bike. Let me just say now that I'm very new at this. I've done some basic work on cars in the past, but I've never really touched a bike other than to ride it. That being said, I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty and digging in.

I picked up an 83 GS750E on Craigslist for $400. The guy selling it said he rode it a little bit last year, and that it should run okay with some work, but how often can you really trust the seller . When I picked it up, it actually looked a little better than what I expected a $400 bike to look like, until I got it home and looked a little closer.

Apparently it's easier to use some kind of sealant than buy a proper gasket. I saw this and figured I could remove the sealant and put on the right gasket so it no longer leaks, which it does slightly from the bottom. Now getting out the bolt which is missing the head might give me some problems.

I'm not even sure how this happens, other than some terrific spill. I'm not sure that this can be repaired and am just keeping my fingers crossed that it's not that big of a deal, but who knows.

Hopefully a new cover won't be too hard to find somewhere.

The seller also mentioned that it needed a regulator/rectifier, so I'll have to check it out, then go and buy one. I'm kind of hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew, and that I can actually make this bike road worthy again. I appreciate any feedback or comments that will help me along on this project.

On another note, I have not been able to find a service manual for this particular year and model. Any ideas on where I can get one? I've seen them out there for other GS years/models, but not this one.

Congrats on the purchase, I have 2 of them that I am rebuilding. Here is the link for the service manual courtesy of BikeCliff who will be around shortly to welcome you: http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...anual_1983.pdf

It must have had a nasty spill sometime. Parts shouldn't be too hard to come by, they had lots of these bike's in Canada and most 83 to 85 GS700 parts are compatible.

Comment

Yeah you got a few things to get straighted out there.My build threads a good read on my 85 750 I'm bringing back from the dead.Put in a plug for the Owners Group to http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=40 .Once sorted you should have a really nice bike there.BTW don't have an ingition cover

Comment

nice start to a cool ride. GS 700 / 750 are very close to identical and the manuals are pretty common here. bass cliff has a ton of stuff. use the search around here.

good luck and 1 tip hearing you only worked on cars....

don't over tighten the threaded fasteners. if you do, or someone has already.... get a good heli coil set. (6X1 only need 70~90 inch pounds.)
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Thanks for the tips and encouragement everyone!! I'm hoping to get started on some of the work as soon as I track down some of the necessary parts and read up on the manual a bit (thanks Patman). Hopefully the weather holds out since I'll be doing most of the work outdoors. I'll be sure to update as I make progress and things come together, or as I spectacularly foul things up even worse than they are . Either way, it's good to know that I have someplace to turn if I have questions....so thanks again!

Comment

Well, the bent brake handle is the clue to the wreck. It went down, probably hard. The fairing is not mounted in the original posistion, what is happening behind that. I would check the plugs for color with all the paint baked off the manifold.
            Otherwise that model is a nice ride, I like mine. they have the usual electrical gremlins, check the regulator and track down the ocver. Check the oil pressure switch at the bottom of the electrical side, if that much of the cover is broken, the switch might have taken a hit and maybe caused some hairline fractures in the gallery.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot,

The crankcase covers get beat up like that when the bike's been down. They shouldn't be too hard to find on Ebay. Then you might want to pick up and install some case savers. I'm sure you'll want to clean that gunk off of the stator cover and put a proper gasket on there. So let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

That cover is a bitch to repair. I fixed mine by JB welding on a wire frame on the broken areas then covering it with bondo and painting the whole thing black to make it look complete.

Comment

Working...
                X