No announcement yet.

GS1100GL Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here you go, this is my plan (not to scale!). The bottom bracket is hinged and screws to the seat stays through the bottom. Let me know what you think!

Comment

Almost there, I can almost smell the asphalt!!!

Brakes are back on the bike: both MCs and all calipers have been rebuilt with OEM parts, painted, new pads, new (old) rear rotor, new sight window on the front MC, hydraulic switch for the front brake, and Earl's SS braided lines. Need to put fluid and bleed.

Paint is almost done also. It's my first time painting and I can safely say I suck at bondo. It will look good from a few feet back though :P.

Comment

Originally posted by scaylabs View Post
        Here you go, this is my plan (not to scale!). The bottom bracket is hinged and screws to the seat stays through the bottom. Let me know what you think!

Love the concept! I had a couple different ideas on a 'temp' secondary seat, but I'm not sure that I've considered this idea before. Thanks for posting it!
        1982 GS1100GL (Sold :()(Retrieved!:pray:)
        1978 GS1000C (Sold, to be revived by Chuck)
        1979 GS1000EN (Parts Whore)
        1979 GS1000C (Collecting Dust)
        1980 GS750E (Sport-Touring Build...Someday?)
        1981 GS750L (Abandoned Project...maybe?)
        1982 GS750E (Collecting Dust)
        1983 GS750T (This is becoming a problem...)
        1981 GS650GL (Parts Whore / Cafe Donor)
        1981 GS550L (Cafe Project)

Comment

Well fellas this is (basically) it!!!

Still some wiring to tie down, clutch/gas cable to reroute, etc... but I will be riding this weekend!!

Couldn't have done ANYTHING without this forum, so hats off to all of you. Special mention to Basscliff, whose website has been open on my browser nonstop for the last 6 months (not kidding!).

I hope you like it!
          Andres

Comment

Congrats! It looks super sharp. At first I was wondering about those passenger pegs... thinking you may like to ride like super man or something... but then I saw the second post about the removable seat - great idea brilliant, and for the long hauls you can roll like superman too.

What tires / spedo / tach are those?

Comment

Wow. That looks great! Outstanding work!

Comment

Beautiful. That's all that needs to be said. Pretty much made up my mind on where I'm going with my 1100! THANKS for the pics and writeup.
                1982 GS1100GL (Sold :()(Retrieved!:pray:)
                1978 GS1000C (Sold, to be revived by Chuck)
                1979 GS1000EN (Parts Whore)
                1979 GS1000C (Collecting Dust)
                1980 GS750E (Sport-Touring Build...Someday?)
                1981 GS750L (Abandoned Project...maybe?)
                1982 GS750E (Collecting Dust)
                1983 GS750T (This is becoming a problem...)
                1981 GS650GL (Parts Whore / Cafe Donor)
                1981 GS550L (Cafe Project)

Comment

Very clean look, spartan but oh so nice!
                  You pulled it off well, never thought of whitewalls much before this.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words, I really appreciate it!

I'm really happy with the way it turned out (except for my painting skills, but it works from a few feet away. I'll have it done professionally when I have the $$).

The tires are Avon Venom. I had ordered Shinkos which are right about half the cost, but they were backordered and after having the available date pushed back three times in as many months I decided to bite the bullet and go for the Avons.

The speedo is from MikesXs.net. It has LED indicators for turn, high beam and neutral which is pretty cool. The tach is from JCWhitney as the ratio is different on the XS. It matches in looks, but the backlight is different.

Sorry for the dark pictures, I'll take some better ones once all the little details are taken care off.

Comment

Well, this paint job didn't last long! I went to put some gas in the bike from a can for the inaugural ride and I dripped a little bit on the tank. I wiped it off immediately with a rag I had on hand for that purpose, but it left the ugliest stain anyway.
                      I must have used the wrong clear or something, it can't be that sensitive to gas! This is the clear I used: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SHW-DPE106/

After the initial cursing and the kicking of everything in sight, I calmed down and went out for the ride anyway, which kicked ass!!

Comment

Well, the battery couldn't take it or something else went wrong. Join the debate: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum....php?p=1474207

Comment

Very nice ride! I like the seat and fender, makes for some nice linesSorry to hear about the gas on the tank.

Comment

I don't like bobber's at all. But your bike, I like!

Daniel

Comment

Class job there. Without the front fender for some sort of fork stabilizer, you are definitely in the market for a fork stabilizer.
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by scaylabs View Post
                                Well, this paint job didn't last long! I went to put some gas in the bike from a can for the inaugural ride and I dripped a little bit on the tank. I wiped it off immediately with a rag I had on hand for that purpose, but it left the ugliest stain anyway.
                                I must have used the wrong clear or something, it can't be that sensitive to gas! This is the clear I used: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SHW-DPE106/

After the initial cursing and the kicking of everything in sight, I calmed down and went out for the ride anyway, which kicked ass!!
                                For clear coat, I highly recommend Spray-Max 2K: http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

It's a true two-part clear coat that has excellent solvent resistance just like quality body shops use. I also found it to have excellent sag and drip resistance because it dries like an epoxy: all throughout the product rather than from the outside surface in. This allows the sags and runs to flow out more as opposed to freezing into place as the surface hardens first.

Comment

Working...
                                X