Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550L Minor Rebuild

Hey all, here's a question for you:
    I'm doing a lot of work on a 1981 GS550L. I decided the disassemble the engine to clean it and replace the gaskets and seals to repair an oil leak. I also plan on re-shimming the valves and rebuilding the cam chain tensioner while things are in pieces.

I've got replacements for:
    the valve cover gasket
    the half moon gaskets
    a small oring for the cam chain tensioner
    the cam chain tensioner gasket
    an ignition cover gasket
    oil breather gasket
    head gasket and base gasket

I wasn't really planning on replacing the base gasket, I think my oil leaks are at the head gasket and again at the valve cover. It seems like a lot of people start out planning on replacing only the head gasket, but then end up replacing the base gasket. I was wondering why this is, and what I need to watch out for.

Also, does this look like a fairly comprehensive list of parts? Does it look like I forgot anything? And while I'm rooting around in there, is there anything else I should consider replacing? The bike seemed to run pretty good last year so I really wasn't planning on replacing the rings.

Thanks for your help!

Base gasket orings?

Somebody mentioned in another thread about small orings in the base gasket area...maybe someone can elaborate?

Thanks!

- John

Comment

Yes, the O-Rings between the crank case and the barrels, will go eventually, they do that, migt as well replace then while you are in there, it is almost no extra worl to pull the barrels off now.
      The chances of the base gasket leaking once you put it all together are good, it has been disturbed now, maybe not by eye, or physicaly, but it has, by releasing the tention on it and re tighting again when you bolt it all up again.
      Why take the chance, just put one in while you are in there, then you know you are good for thousands more miles.

Not sure how far you want to go with this, but while the head is off, I would check the valves for leakage and just give them a lapping in with some pase and a stick, and put on a new set of valve stem seals, they are cheap enough.

Oh yes, what about exhaust gaskets, they are crush gaskets, use once only.
      Where are the pics????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
        Yes, the O-Rings between the crank case and the barrels, will go eventually, they do that, migt as well replace then while you are in there, it is almost no extra worl to pull the barrels off now.
        The chances of the base gasket leaking once you put it all together are good, it has been disturbed now, maybe not by eye, or physicaly, but it has, by releasing the tention on it and re tighting again when you bolt it all up again.
        Why take the chance, just put one in while you are in there, then you know you are good for thousands more miles.

Not sure how far you want to go with this, but while the head is off, I would check the valves for leakage and just give them a lapping in with some pase and a stick, and put on a new set of valve stem seals, they are cheap enough.

Where are the pics????????????????
        Matt and I are looking to start and complete this part this weekend. Problem is, neither of us has torn down a motor solo this far (pistons, rings, etc)

I'm concerned about getting into something and not having the know-how and/or parts to get it back together properly

Not opposed to taking apart again later if the valves need help, but need to get it running SOON! (This next winter might find a 650 head on this 550 )

What are those orings on the base called?

Thanks!

- John

Comment

Matt and I are looking to start and complete this part this weekend. Problem is, neither of us has torn down a motor solo this far (pistons, rings, etc)

I'm concerned about getting into something and not having the know-how and/or parts to get it back together properly

Not opposed to taking apart again later if the valves need help, but need to get it running SOON! (This next winter might find a 650 head on this 550 )

What are those orings on the base called?

Thanks!

Pahhh, piece of old tackie, how hard can it be.................right

Seriously, with workshop manual in hand, and the GS folk here ast your fingertips, you will get through it just fine, it really is not as daunting as it seems, there is a wealth of experience here and the good folk are more than willing to share thier knowlege with you and walk you through, when you decide to do it.
          The sense or achivment will be overwhelming when you fire her up afterwards.

Start a thread when it happens, so we can follow it, and flood you with advise.

Comment

I have not looked to see if there is any major differences between your 81 and my 79 but I have a pretty extensive list of parts on the first post of my thread (look at my sig). Those are all from cyclepartsnation.com all I did was go through the parts pictures and if it said gasket or O-ring I put it on the list. Only thing I am not replacing is my piston rings. As far as the Tear down goes it is pretty simple, once its out of the bike. Make sure you have a Torque wrench for when you put it back together.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
              I have not looked to see if there is any major differences between your 81 and my 79 but I have a pretty extensive list of parts on the first post of my thread (look at my sig). Those are all from cyclepartsnation.com all I did was go through the parts pictures and if it said gasket or O-ring I put it on the list. Only thing I am not replacing is my piston rings. As far as the Tear down goes it is pretty simple, once its out of the bike. Make sure you have a Torque wrench for when you put it back together.

Paul
              Nice thread, Paul!

Question: Remove the engine from the bike? I've read some say yes, some say no. Keep in mind we are wanting to tear it down just to replace the leaking head gasket, but likely do the base gasket as well because many are recommending it to avoid a leak due to tearing it down.

Polishing would be nice, IF ~someone~ didn't live over an hour away, only coming a couple weekends to work. Something about trying to find a nice girl...

BTW, if anyone finds a nice girl, especially one who likes bikes, PLEASE send her Matt's way so he can start concentrating on what IMPORTANT, like the GS's!

Okay, okay, now that Matt's redfaced...he can't kill me yet- he needs the help on the rebuild this weekend!

Oh yeah, the point...if we were doing this over winter, we'd likely do polishing and stuff before putting it back together. But now that riding weather is creeping in, we just want to get the leaks fixed and get it going asap.

Gotta get some riding in before BC Rally to make sure all is well!

- John

Comment

Just keep in mind the Head gasket is the expensive one. The base gasket is only about $10. If your removing everything to get to the head gasket I would think about pulling the cylinder section and replacing that one gasket and the orings around the oil ports. Just some thoughts but I have also found in two engine tear downs that getting it apart is easy. Getting all the old gasket material off is the bigger pain in the a$$. Good luck guys.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                  Just keep in mind the Head gasket is the expensive one. The base gasket is only about $10. If your removing everything to get to the head gasket I would think about pulling the cylinder section and replacing that one gasket and the orings around the oil ports. Just some thoughts but I have also found in two engine tear downs that getting it apart is easy. Getting all the old gasket material off is the bigger pain in the a$$. Good luck guys.

Paul
                  Thanks, Paul. The Orings around the oil ports- I think those are the ones I couldn't remember. Those are the ones suggested when the guy just had a big gushing leak in his base gasket the last week or so, right? (ended up being a piece of gasket IIRC)

Good luck? Yeah, if you saw us work...If we had a live streaming camera, we could charge to watch. You'd either laugh your butt off or gasp and call us rednecks

Now THERE's an idea! Headcam and skype when doing hard jobs. or Live streaming video of GSR work.

- John

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help! I know I tend to keep pretty quite on here, but I REALLY appreciate all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GK View Post

Polishing would be nice, IF ~someone~ didn't live over an hour away, only coming a couple weekends to work. Something about trying to find a nice girl...

BTW, if anyone finds a nice girl, especially one who likes bikes, PLEASE send her Matt's way so he can start concentrating on what IMPORTANT, like the GS's!

Okay, okay, now that Matt's redfaced...he can't kill me yet- he needs the help on the rebuild this weekend!
                      Yeah...finding a nice girl and something about having a job... Jobs are nice but cut way too much into time I could be spending on funner stuff... (ie girls and bikes)

Ha Ha- I see you thought this through John!

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post

I have no clue what you mean by exhaust gaskets....Can you elaborate for me?

Comment

There's nothing holding the base on after the head bolts are loosened, and it's very hard to remove the head without disturbing the base gasket (and maybe even harder to know whether or not you did). Please be certain that you use an OEM base gasket!

Oh, and I just did this a couple of weeks ago. It's not that hard to replace the head and cylinders with the block in the frame.

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Know anything about those exhaust gaskets?

Comment

They are small round gaskets that sit inside of each hole where the header connects. Shouldn't be terribly expensive to replace...here's what my local shop would charge you to replace them:

GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE
                              14181-37D00 (replaces 14181-03310) 4$3.51
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X