No announcement yet.

GS550L Minor Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, We tried Permatex Gasket Remover, Not impressed at all. We also used Gel Paint Thinner, it seemed to work better than the Permatex. Better as in if we left the Gel Pain Thinner on the gasket, it might've dissolved it in 13 months...

By all means, if you know of any chemical gasket solvents, let me know, personally I think those two are a waste of time and money. Both might be effective on form-a-gasket, but not on regular gasket material.

Just my observations.

Comment

Originally posted by MrZufall View Post
      BTW, We tried Permatex Gasket Remover, Not impressed at all. We also used Gel Paint Thinner, it seemed to work better than the Permatex. Better as in if we left the Gel Pain Thinner on the gasket, it might've dissolved it in 13 months...

By all means, if you know of any chemical gasket solvents, let me know, personally I think those two are a waste of time and money. Both might be effective on form-a-gasket, but not on regular gasket material.

Just my observations.
      Hear, hear!

I'd say having two stools and a guy on each side of the bike made it go much better. Being able to hold the parts and still tap it with the "removal tool" (rubber mallet) was quite helpful.

And a service manual is a MUST. We used Clymer.

BTW, Matt's getting pretty good at this motorcycle mechanic stuff. Not bad for an EE, eh? Pretty soon I might be able to rent him out!

- JC

Comment

Good news! It runs! I got a mess of pics which I'll have to post later. I just want to thank all you GSr's for all the help/advice/and parts. It was a huge help and without you guys I'd probably never attempt a rebuild. This was the first time I had an engine apart quite that far.

I put a wooping 10 miles on it on Sunday. More to follow!

Comment

pics for sure.

Comment

Working...
          X