newG 1100g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

an upset 650?

wanting to make mine happier. what are you running for oil charl? glad the baby shafty takes less oil than the big ones but the grade and brand are still up in the air.

Comment

engel,

I use what someone recomended on the forum, Shell oil, Rotella T 15w-40w. It's susposed to be what these older engines need. I don't know if it's the cat's meow, but I know where to buy it and it's reasonable.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

thanks matey. have a few bits coming from partshark and a coupla from babbitts and amongst them are oil filters. when they rock up i'll give the fleet a group oil change. got Anna firing a little last night charl. been asleep now 14 years so its promising.

hows she coming along?

Comment

time for a bump charlie. has she fired a shot yet? any ideas as to what it was old mate had intimated re the transmission giving dramas? after my DT200R i'd grant Anna as having the nicest shift feel of any bike i own.

blacks lower case is coming off on saturday to see if shes economically salvable.

Comment

Originally posted by engel View Post
            time for a bump charlie. has she fired a shot yet? any ideas as to what it was old mate had intimated re the transmission giving dramas? after my DT200R i'd grant Anna as having the nicest shift feel of any bike i own.

blacks lower case is coming off on saturday to see if shes economically salvable.

Thanks for checking in on what's not happening. I'm a bit preoccupied trying to make a living at the moment and haven't done much of anything.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
              Thanks for checking in on what's not happening. I'm a bit preoccupied trying to make a living at the moment and haven't done much of anything.

cg
              What? You mean your GS fund doesn't grow on trees?

Good to hear from you though Charlie and will be nice to see some progress when you can get some time into it again
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hello to all

I'm getting ready to get back to work on the 1100g. Several has prompted me to get moving or the bike, work picked up, the 650g has an oil leak in the head gasket at cylinder #4, and the fellow who gave me the bike called Tuesday and said he found the title. The bike is now in my name, I have of money set aside for parts and I haven't got a bike I can ride to Canada next summer, so I guess I'm motivated. The carbs are where I left them 2 years ago...one cleaned and apart and the rest waiting to be torn down. The last carbs I did were on the 650 and that was 4 years ago. Dang, I need to retrain myself. I am tempted to send them off to Chef , but .......I need to wrench this myself.

If you (engel, pete, bill, steve, johnny?and all) are still interested in this thread, I post up I hope in a week or two (hopefully) if I have something done. I do need a headlight bucket and trim fo it. Cheers (It's in my name!!!!!!!!!Wahoo!)

cg
                Last edited by Charlie G; 10-24-2013, 11:01 PM.
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Comment

Good to hear Charlie. What size headlight does an 1100 use?
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                    Good to hear Charlie. What size headlight does an 1100 use?

It's the same bulb as the 78-80 1000's, 80-83 850's. The housing cross references with 82-83 1100g's and 850g's. I think what's on there now is off a 550 and really isn't big enough to hold all the wiring, has an extra hole chewed in it and the trim ring is dented.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                      I'm getting ready to get back to work on the 1100g. Several has prompted me to get moving or the bike, work picked up, the 650g has an oil leak in the head gasket at cylinder #4, and the fellow who gave me the bike called Tuesday and said he found the title. The bike is now in my name, I have of money set aside for parts and I haven't got a bike I can ride to Canada next summer, so I guess I'm motivated. The carbs are where I left them 2 years ago...one cleaned and apart and the rest waiting to be torn down. The last carbs I did were on the 650 and that was 4 years ago. Dang, I need to retrain myself. I am tempted to send them off to Chef , but .......I need to wrench this myself.

If you (engel, pete, bill, steve, johnny?and all) are still interested in this thread, I post up I hope in a week or two (hopefully) if I have something done. I do need a headlight bucket and trim fo it. Cheers (It's in my name!!!!!!!!!Wahoo!)

cg

I have a bare bucket I can give you, I think. I will be in Oregon on the weekend of the 17th of next month to check.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Pretty sure I'll have anything you need as well Charlie.
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Glad to see you're getting stuck in again Charlie!

sigpic

Comment

This is how it sits as of last night. That was fun. The bike was in a wreck and the PO has replaced a few items headlight, tach and I know not what all, so I've been looking over the parts with a skeptical eye. I've got a list of things to order and will do that in the next few days. The rear spline is the big one. I want to get some SuperBike bars but Z-1 is out of stock. E-mailed them. The brakes need to be done and this will be a first for me. I've done the pads, but not the lines and cylinder rebuilds. Easy peesie right, well as long as I've got you GS'ers about I'll be ok. Anyone want to recomend a source for SS lines. The change of bars will mean shorter lines.

Got alittle carried away trying to get a stripped screw out of the RH switch. $91.00 new, ouch! Today I thought of a better way to have taken it out. Bit late.

The PO must have found this one on e-bay and did a little tinsnip alteration.

I've got another speedo lined up. This ones seen better days. Looks good on the outside. Less than 17k miles.

One thing I first notice when I got this bike was that as I would move the wheel back and forth, stopping where I felt the rear spline would engage was that the cicular distance (degrees of arch?) was greater than my 650. I took this as a sign that the rear spline was worn. Yep, about 2/3s of the teeth are gone. I bought one of these new for the 650 4 years ago and paid $69.00 shipped. Now they are $142.19 w/o shipping. I wish I could charge twice as much for my serivices now!

I got a bit carried away with taking things off the bike. The forks are leaking on my floor and I just did my 650's set so I'll get these done first.

Here's the headlight bucket I have. It was tough getting everything out of the holes.
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g

Comment

You sure got some work ahead of you Charlie, but I have confidence you'll get her going well

I got my braided line from Rennsport and it's served me well for nearly 20,000km's so far... cheap too!

sigpic

Comment

It's a great bike - keep going

Charlie - you are doing a grand job. I have the exact same bike which has just taken me 400 miles into Belguim and back.

Pictures from Belgium trip.

Keep going.

Greetings
                                Richard
                                sigpic
                                GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                                GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                                GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                                GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                                Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                                Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
                                X