No announcement yet.

newG 1100g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She sounds good from the video Charlie. I'm sure that pooping stuff will disappear once you fine tune the carbs. Too bad about the caliper bolts, I've never had that happen, I never torque them, just on tight, pretty tight to boot. Can't imagine you need Suzuki bolts, anything should do. Axle grease is fine, you don't need much.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Never seize may be better on the new bolts, there may be a bit of corrosion in there

I used allen heads from ACE
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The PO pointed out that he had broken one bolt on a caliper axle, so I robbed one off the 82 1100 g and dam if it didn't shear. Robbed another one ( axle & bolt) and cleaned out the internal threads with a tap because there was a bit of resistance and it did fine. Thought I'd check the torque on the rest and snapped another. ( insert swearing ). I'll use anti seize and clean the thread out with a tap. It actually says to torque them to 29-40 ft lbs. The second snapped a 20 ft lbs. I'm going to check the length as well. Thanks guys! Nice to have someone else to bounce ideas off of.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

That's so strange that they snapped, I've never heard of that happening before. Hope you have an easy way of getting them out
          Rob
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

That one on the right…

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post

Click for a little video of the running bike...... Let me know if it doesn't work.

I got the 83 1100 g I picked up in Sacramento this last winter running. It was running a bit rough but swapped out out the coils off the other 1100 and it's better. Still has a bit of a pop when I rev it and roll off the throttle quick. I'll sync the carbs and bleed the brakes and a quick road test to see where I'm at with the rest.

These are some front caliper axle bolts which are to be torqued to 20-40 ft lbs. I snapped two of them at 20 ft lbs. Do these things get brittle over time? Do I need to buy Suzuki's bolts or will what they have at ACE do? Axle grease,? Will auto caliper grease do fine? A bit of a newbie on some brake items. I could use a bit of advice here. Thanks.

cg
            The one on the right looks ready to snap, the threads look stretched apart at the same point the other broke.
            You shoulda suspected, and just replaced them all after the first broke.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              That's so strange that they snapped, I've never heard of that happening before. Hope you have an easy way of getting them out
              For the time being I'm robbing off the 82 and I'll see how hard they are to pull apart later.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              The one on the right looks ready to snap, the threads look stretched apart at the same point the other broke.
              Good eye there Bill. The right hand one is the second one that snapped. I was surprised when I came out in one piece.There all getting replaced, with the threads cleaned up in the axles. Nice to see you posting Bill!

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

These are some front caliper axle bolts which are to be torqued to 20-40 ft lbs. I snapped two of them at 20 ft lbs.
                Is that torque value wet or dry? If it is dry and you lubed the threads that may explain the failures. The bolt on the right shows heavy necking so it certainly isn't brittle. Is your torque wrench calibrated? Working properly? The only issue you may have with buying generic bolts instead of Suzuki parts is that the generic ones may not be the right grade and may not be strong enough to hold the specified preload amount.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                  Is that torque value wet or dry? If it is dry and you lubed the threads that may explain the failures. The bolt on the right shows heavy necking so it certainly isn't brittle. Is your torque wrench calibrated? Working properly? The only issue you may have with buying generic bolts instead of Suzuki parts is that the generic ones may not be the right grade and may not be strong enough to hold the specified preload amount.

Mark

I didn't put any lubricant on these bolts. These snapped at 50% of the max value....
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

Hey Charlie - you copying my vids? White T and a bottle of beer in the pic.

Good on ya bro!!

Greetings
                    Richard
                    sigpic
                    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I didn't put any lubricant on these bolts. These snapped at 50% of the max value....
                      Curious. Sounds like it is time for a new set of bolts just to be sure of what you have. Is it possible a PO over torqued the bolts in the past and you were just the lucky guy to have the failure complete itself on your watch?

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                        Hey Charlie - you copying my vids? White T and a bottle of beer in the pic.

Good on ya bro!!

Greetings
                        Another good eye there. It was an intentional copy and it has lead to success so far! Cheers.

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                        Curious. Sounds like it is time for a new set of bolts just to be sure of what you have. Is it possible a PO over torqued the bolts in the past and you were just the lucky guy to have the failure complete itself on your watch?

Mark
                        New bolts for sure. Thanks.

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Comment

Hope this video works...

First ride. Still have to sync. Special MotionPro tool will be here tomorrow afternoon. Ride smooth as can be. Not quite as much power as I would have expected. Replaced all the bolts on the calipers and re-torqued all bolts on the front end which were hand tight. Glad I checked before I rode.

cg
                          Last edited by Charlie G; 07-23-2014, 10:10 AM.
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                            Exactly what I was thinking 20 ft-lbs to break? Bolts have all been over stressed and I would trust none of them. And for caliper bolts I would buy oem and not worry about it. Otherwise look for used where there was no idiot over torquing them.

Comment

Congratulations Charlie!! I was a bit worried there but you showed me, nicely done. Hows the engine look? no leaks are anything like that? any smoking?
                              Rob

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                                Congratulations Charlie!! I was a bit worried there but you showed me, nicely done. Hows the engine look? no leaks are anything like that? any smoking?

It's not ready to ride to BC just yet. I'm trying to curb my optimism at the moment. I haven't ridden it enough yet to know too much for sure. No obvious leaks or smoke. When I got back yesterday the pipes had blue marks where I hadn't noticed before. I suspect hot pipes show off bluing more than cold ones in a dark garage. We'll see. Want to sync the carbs tonight and do a compression test. Not real sure 2 & 3 are firing at full strength and want to see where they are compression wise. Thanks for the comments.

cg
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                                X