newG 1100g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    Looks great, what will it take to get it going? Just the usual or are there problems?
    He's got a short list of things, one of which is low compression in one cylinder. I'll see if I can get it running and judge from there. Why just one cylinder bad in 43 k miles has me thinking. Between the two I'll have one at least....or maybe .......two.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I bet it's cylinder #2, right?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My thought exactly -leaky petcock caused the bike to be parked

Or, lack of valve adjustments

Do the usual maintenance, then take it for a long ride down Hwy 3
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have brought two now back from zero compression by riding them. Absolutely zero. Several more from very low compresion. Adjust the valves, fix the petcock and everything else and ride it.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nice score there Charlie. Not sure where you're going to park it in your garage but nice score indeed. And look..another fairing. You know, they could make nice art pieces
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I sure hope it's that easy. I'd sure like to spend this year developing some skills and enjoying riding again.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                Nice score there Charlie. Not sure where you're going to park it in your garage but nice score indeed. And look..another fairing. You know, they could make nice art pieces

Shsh! That's what Chris said. Parking will be tight. 10lbs in a 5 pound bag. I'm good at space planning. Washing machine and dryer is highly overrated. I'll save the fairings for you, along with ArtH's. It has matching saddle bags and lowers.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Comment

I think you should try that one with the fairing on for a while

You might like some protection, particularly going to BC and back
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Good point about the fairing Todd, but I've ridden mine with the Vetter and although it does it's job and is retro cool, it sure does feel like you're pushing a piece of plywood down the highway
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      I think you should try that one with the fairing on for a while

You might like some protection, particularly going to BC and back
                      Originally posted by azr View Post
                      Good point about the fairing Todd, but I've ridden mine with the Vetter and although it does it's job and is retro cool, it sure does feel like you're pushing a piece of plywood down the highway
                      I'll try to keep an open mind about the fairing . Going from a 650 to an 1100 is a big enough step for now. I can see some value of having a nice one at some point in the future.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

GS Rescue

I had scheduled to meet with the seller of the new 83 GS 1100 g at his house in Sacramento before 1:00pm. My friend ArtH called me Friday and said he could join me on my 4 1/5 hour drive and in the spirit of saving a bit on fuel costs, offered his small truck as the transport vehicle. This is the third time we've headed out together to look at and buy GS'es together and we've always made and had fun doing it. We've began to call these trips "GS Rescues". I know many of you check frequently for GS's on e-bay and Criags list and know it's interesting to keep your "ear to the ground" so to say, to see what bargains and bikes are available, just in case.

I left the house at 7:30 am Saturday and head south to the city of Mt. Shasta to meet up with Art.

We load up the truck and ....

place an identifying "GS Rescue" sign in the rear window & off we go to Sacramento.

We get to his ( Steve) house about 12:45 and there it is , setting in the driveway, with all the saddle bags, top cases and parts waiting to be loaded up. Clock work!

After an hour we're back on the road north. After a quick stop for a burrito, and fuel about an hour north of Sacramento, we're headed back north to our mountain home.

A rest stop near Shasta Lake

Unloaded truck at my house about 7:30 pm.

The 83, tucked in for the night.

The wife had a nice meal ready for Art and I when we were done and we toasted a successful "GS Rescue" mission. Thanks Art for your help and friendship. Thanks Steve!

cg
                        Last edited by Charlie G; 12-16-2013, 01:21 AM.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Comment

Wait, that's 3 1100 Gs in the garage?

Paul will be getting jealous
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                            Wait, that's 3 1100 Gs in the garage?

Paul will be getting jealous
                            No, just 2-650g's and 2-1100g's. I've got nothing on Paul.

I picked up a $150.00 650g last February for a spare engine and intended to part it out. I sold a LH switch gear and don't have the heart to let it go. Too complete. I'm a wimp

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g

Comment

Good Job Charlie

Charlie - good good job there buddy. You've got the exact same one as me (Restoring my Dad's Bike). It has the air rear shocks and the air tube connecting the two fork tubes for equalization. The box section grab rail.

Looks like you have good mufflers too.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Greetings
                              Richard
                              sigpic
                              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                                Charlie - good good job there buddy. You've got the exact same one as me (Restoring my Dad's Bike). It has the air rear shocks and the air tube connecting the two fork tubes for equalization. The box section grab rail.

Looks like you have good mufflers too.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Greetings
                                I kept thinking of you as I eyed this bike over, because of your thread pointing out the air shocks and forks crossover tube. The pipes are undented, with very slight surface rust and bluing. The paint is great with the exception of two clear coat bubbles on the tank and minor chips. When I get some time I'll post up some pictures of the bike's particulars challenges and assets. Cheers.

cg
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                                X