newG 1100g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newG 1100g

This is a 1982 1100g, with 17k miles I picked up yeaterday for nothing. The PO says it has tranny problems and has been sitting for several years. The tank is dented real bad from a low speed wreck and the rear cowl is broken. The rest of the bike isn't to bad. A few cracked or bent items. Tires are from 2001 and the mirrors are mismatched and one has broken glass. I plan to get it running by cleaning the carbs and adjusting the valves. We'll see what is up with the tranny once I get it going.

Pulled the carbs off. What a piece of cake to remove this air box design. Only one tough screw on the carb boots. Visegrips to the rescue! One air box boot was installed wrong so I think it had a bit of a minor leak.

I hung the seat up on the wall and noticed after about 20 minutes that there was a puddle under it. I pulled the cover off to inspect and air dry. I always seem to think of the seat as water proof. Wrong, eh?

The underside isn't too bad.

I'll be poking along on this project. Working as I can. I did manage to shift it into first, neutral and second, no problem. I spun the rear wheel when it was it gear and could feel the rear spline clink with a bit of play and more noise than my 650. I might just pull the rear wheel and check it out. It is an 1982 afterall.

Thanks for looking

Charlie G
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
    I always seem to think of the seat as water proof. Wrong, eh?
    The STOCK seat is rather "weather resistant", but that is not a stock seat cover.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll come along for the ride on this one Charlie, keen to see if you can do for it as you did for your 450
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
        I'll come along for the ride on this one Charlie, keen to see if you can do for it as you did for your 450
        Cheers Pete! I really didn't do to much to the 450 other than clean it, replace broken/missing parts and stop leaks. It's going to be a long haul I think on this one.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Mate if you can go from pulling it down to getting back on the road within 6 years you're beating me

That's not including the 3 years before that where it got a little neglected...

sigpic

Comment

What'sup?

Got any more work done on this bike Charlie?
            Bill
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              Got any more work done on this bike Charlie?
              Bill
              Thanks for showing an interest Bill. Actually this was the first day in a long while I've done any thing to the 1100g. I've adjusted the valves a bout 3 weeks ago and had to wait for gaskets to put the cover back on. The carbs are next on my list but I really didn't have a clean place to work so I have been waiting for the clean up to happen. As usual garages don't clean them selves.

Got the valve cover back on, with new gasket and half moons.

Spent a few hours making counter room, finding the right tools and re-reading the how to info. I've got one striped and in the can cleaning up. I haven't ordered my o-rings yet, so this make take a while.

I'm not in a hurry on this one. I've got two other bikes, although the 450 needs the forks done as It has developed a leak in the left tube. I just replaced the clutch pinion shaft seal/bearing and changed the oil on the 650 last week, so hopefully I'm set on that bike for a while.

Like I said, I need to get the o-rings for the carbs and buy a battery and I'll see if I can get the bike started. Once it's is runnning I'll see if I can get what ever problem there is with the tranny to show it's self and see what direction to go from there.

In doing the valve adjustment, I only had to change two shims and they were 2.75 shims replaced by 2.70 units. Someone has been in the carbs before as the intake boots had some sealant on them at the head and a few of the screws heads were stripped.

I've noticed that the rear wheel has alot more play in it than ny 650. By play I mean that when I rotate the wheel back and forth while it's on the center stand, it has more slop between engaging the gears in the drive shaft or spline. I'm hoping that whatever problem it has with not wanting to go into gear or stay there, has something to do with the drive and it's related gearing. Seems as it might be simpler to fix.

I post something up when I have it running. I need to pace myself on this parts buying thing. Cheers!

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Comment

Looks like a good project Charlie. Have you been working on British bikes too? I see an anvil in the background.

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Nice work Charlie, I know what you mean about clean work space.

Every few weeks I have a dummy spit at myself for being so messy and commit a bit of a tidiness, but it takes no time to find my work space is about a foot square again...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gs58 View Post
                    Looks like a good project Charlie. Have you been working on British bikes too? I see an anvil in the background.
                    Do you need an anvil to work on them? No Brit bikes. Just for random beatings.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                      Just for random beatings.
                      cg
                      ??

sigpic

Comment

Did you make those two custom looking parts trays? The 8 can one and the 4 can one.
                        They look great if you did!

Daniel
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                          Did you make those two custom looking parts trays? The 8 can one and the 4 can one.
                          They look great if you did!

Daniel
                          Yes. I can't help it.

ch
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g

Comment

are those pipes as good as they look charl? even were they rotted through am jealous just for their form.

what nick were the carbs in matey? just thinking it might have been more worthwhile doing the minorest of cleanouts and leave them as a bank until you've heard her fire a shot and know she's a worthwhile runner. not raining on your parade but you may end up with a very nice set of carbs and great valve adjustment for a motor that had been heat siezed or suffered some other malady. luckily you know the previous owner which removes a large question mark.

hoping all is going well. glen.

Comment

Originally posted by engel View Post
                              are those pipes as good as they look charl? even were they rotted through am jealous just for their form.

what nick were the carbs in matey? just thinking it might have been more worthwhile doing the minorest of cleanouts and leave them as a bank until you've heard her fire a shot and know she's a worthwhile runner. not raining on your parade but you may end up with a very nice set of carbs and great valve adjustment for a motor that had been heat siezed or suffered some other malady. luckily you know the previous owner which removes a large question mark.

hoping all is going well. glen.
                              The pipes are in real good shape. There is one penny size dimple in the LH muffler. The climate here where I live is really dry. Things don't rust or rot like some other places. I've known the fellow I got the bike from for about 13 years, I really doubt it's froze. I did pick up a battery tonight and I might see if it turns it over. The bike has set outside, in hot sun, snow and rain fo 4 years, with 1 gallon of gas in the tank. The carbs need to be done regardless. I can use them on another one or sell them. If I don't want to tackle the tranny, as the PO cited as it's problem, I may part it or find another motor. I'm up for the tranny as long as there is a GS resources.

I've been cleaning the crud off the engine, as the valve cover gasket has misted the engine pretty good with oil. I didn't do the tach seal, as intended, but neglected to order the parts. Later on that. This bike has an oil cooler on it. I don't think it is a stock item. Anyone know? I hate the braided hoses on it as they are slightly worn and full of spikes to cut me.

I finally got paid from a job this week and have ordered the o-rings. Have battery, parts in dip, carb cleaner on hand. I guess it's just a matter of spare time now and hoping no other parts to order.

Cost to date $106.64

It's not froze. I turned it over to adjust the valves.

Charlie G
                              Last edited by Charlie G; 06-11-2011, 12:55 AM.
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                              X