X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got a bunch more work done, i hope to start reassembly this week

Comment

My unsolicted opinion

No matter what everyone says about cutting up a GS1100E, or any bike for that matter, I admire those who have the talent, resources and willing to take the time that can translate one’s vision to bending/welding/fabricating steel in a quest to create a unique two-wheel machine that blends the laws of physical science and something that visually creates an emotional response like, “wow” or, something similar in nature. Good luck with the build and I hope to be wow'd.

Comment

yes never would have though anyone would hardtailed a bike like this but that makes me love it all the more im deffinately gonna watch this build. i was thinking though(it gonna be hard to explain but) maybe run another piece of tubing from the rear end how you have it in line with that top tube you put in up to that support right behind the carbs. just a thought ya know beef it up a little more it would suck to hit a bump,dip,or god forbid a pot hole at 12000mph and bend that one support the swing arm is conected to seeing as it was never intended for a load like that i just thought it might be a good idea. keep up the good work man

Comment

It's your bike. Do as you please.
          Looks good so far.

One question though, because I dont know.
          But isnt this an awful lots of pressure in one area?

sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

It's not my "cup o' meat", Brandon, but I do appreciate clean work.
            Do a good job and I, for one, will keep watching.

Comment

while there is stress in the mentioned are there is also a lot of hidden beefing up that went on. the bike has been 100 mph in front of the shop on the bumpiest road in houston. It has not moved. I am sure it is structurally sound enough to handle limited street use and some track time. i appreciate all the compliments so far guys. I am going full tilt to try to get this thing put back together. I just really need a tank at this point. when i stripped all the paint off it had about a gallon of bondo on it

Comment

Looks pretty good so far. I'd be wantin' to spread the load a little where Octain pointed out. But if you say its been satisfactory then what do I know?
                Really like the loop around the rear of the seat. SOOO many cafe bikes get the azz end chopped off and left hanging out there looking like turd. Hillsy did the same on his (joined the two halves with a loop o tubing) and when I saw that I thought "that man's brilliant". EVERY cafe bike should have this feature.
                Keep it up, watching with interest!

Comment

i can understand the concern for load on that area, and i am not by any stretch of the imagination a professional builder. However i do feel like it is sufficient. There is a ton of bracing near the bottom of the square legs both factory and things i have added. Those upper will not bend unless the welds and all the bracing shears from below. I should have some more pics up soon i am hoping to get the frame and motor back together wednesday

Comment

I think everyone expressing concern in an effort to protect "your" hardtail.

Comment

I would weld a cross brace at the point to further distribute the loas. JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                        It's your bike. Do as you please.
                        Looks good so far.

One question though, because I dont know.
                        But isnt this an awful lots of pressure in one area?

that is exactly what i was trying to point out. great minds think alike

Comment

i mean it wont hurt anything just to be safe man it might help the rear end flow better into the front end a lil better anyway

Comment

Originally posted by brandon25 View Post
                            the bike has been 100 mph in front of the shop on the bumpiest road in houston.
                            So you had it on Belfort between Mykawa and Telephone rd.? That's impressive if it will stand up to that stretch of road.

Where abouts in Houston are you located?
                            http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...TXUTWAWIsm.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
                              So you had it on Belfort between Mykawa and Telephone rd.? That's impressive if it will stand up to that stretch of road.

Where abouts in Houston are you located?
                              i am over on the northwest side, my bike is at a shop off gessner and some side street that i cannot for the life of me remember. but yes it is pretty rough through there

Comment

few updated picks to show the colors i am working with just really for contrast sake. the engine is going back in today!

Comment

Working...
                                X