The '82 GS1200G project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
    The front fender that I had planned to put on it DIDN'T FIT!!!
    Then, I tried 2 chrome ones that also DIDN'T FIT!!!
    I had to use this scratched up, lighter colored blue one that someone had modified in the past... that DID fit.

The rear mounting holes on the first 3 were higher on the fender cross-brace making them too close to the tire. WTH?
    I never had this problem before perhaps it has something to do with the '82 being an 1100G?

Tomorrow, I try to make the exhaust from another '80 G work, fix the rear M/C, add body parts, test ride and change the oil.

Daniel
    Daniel
    Don't sweat it
    My bike has two different side covers (unpainted black and Jim's red) and the rest is blue with a racing stripe!
    We'll need to race and I know I have a buck in weight on you.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

As I will be trying to use the factory air-box with a K & N slip-in filter and after-market stock-type exhaust,
      I guessed on the preliminary jetting by going to 42.5 pilots with emulsion holes with custom-made roughly 122-124 main jets. (.0550")
      Replacing the stock 40 pilots w/ no-emulsion holes and 115 mains.
      124 increase in cc's and almost 2 full points in compression ratio.
      Test ride will help determine final jetting.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Daniel
        Don't sweat it
        My bike has two different side covers (unpainted black and Jim's red) and the rest is blue with a racing stripe!
        We'll need to race and I know I have a buck in weight on you.
        Not fair!!!
        Yours is/was broken in and you have after-market cams and twice as many valves!!!

Daniel

Comment

Your little visitor is cute !! Great job on the bike..

Comment

That is going to be a sweet engine. Cant wait to see it finished up and maybe a soundclip of it running

Comment

Depending on the color of the tank you're going to use you might want to do a quick spray paint of the fender in Silver (or Black) to match the engine and aluminum pieces you've already sprayed. After all, it's clear the fender will need additional work before you're satisfied with it, so no big deal to make it match "the quick way."

Looking good so far!

Regards,

Comment

It's always the little details that seem to occupy all of your time.
                Worked on getting the exhaust from one of the '80 GS1000G's to fit on this '82.
                After removing them from the one bike, my wife was kind enough to take this ugly mess:

And make it the best it could be.
                After installing the pipes on the 1200, it was time to check clearances and make the rear mounts:

They are actually Jardine #3202 4 into 2 pipes. Apparently no longer made. (Big surprise, eh?)

After tweeking the pipes for the most possible clearance, it was time to measure and make the rear straps to mount them.
                The best that I could do to get them in and up as close as possible was within 1/4" of each other in height:

At least they will NOT be scraping the pavement on turns.

Continued...

Comment

Next little detail, was heating and bending the brake lever so that it would clear the pipes.
                  Time to break out the old trusty (hot wrench) torch.
                  Stock lever is on this '80 1000G, modified one in my hand:

Mounted on the 1200:

GSexpress dropped by long enough to UNDO my wiring disaster and got the running lights and the turn signals WORKING!!!
                  I still need to mount the rear ones.

It would appear that I need to drop the Pilot jets back to stock 40's as it doesn't need any choke to start even without any filters installed.
                  The fuel screws were only 1 and a half turns out and still FAT. Some of the smoke, no doubt, is the break-in oil on the cylinder walls.
                  Apparently the tach even works! I have never tested this set of gauges before. I only took it to about 6,000 a few times.
                  A short video:

Getting closer...

Daniel

Comment

Too many problems with the other carbs.
                    As I didn't have another set that would fit, I took two sets to make one.
                    Runs much better but still needs fine tuning... (video at idle):

GSexpress showed up to help fix some more problems!
                    One turn signal inop. And he rebuilt the rear Master Cylinder that was full of crap.
                    After 3 trys we got the petcock to stop leaking on the fuel tank with new gaskets!
                    I "adjusted" the front fender to fit and we took off on a test spin that led to going to
                    a gas station and then 38 miles later, with both of us riding after dark with our smoked shields, we made it back.

Doesn't look too bad in darkness for a scrap bike with parts from at least 5 different bikes covering 5 model years:

Tomorrow I will see what the plugs look like and adjust the jetting.
                    Also changing to colder NEW plugs instead of some mixed up ND and NGK's.

Daniel

Comment

Congratulations on your test flight! Been watching the project - inspiring to say the least.

So, how is your "997" pulling? You should find some 1000 frame covers and put them on if they'll fit - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=178644
                      then victims can see the covers, then the 997 jugs - and just wonder.....
                      Last edited by gs scott; 07-06-2011, 06:21 AM.
                      Scott
                      1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                      1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                      1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                      2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate :) 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                      sigpic

Comment

'82 750's used the same side covers.

Daniel

Comment

Fuel is still leaking at the petcock to tank seal and going to change the jetting.
                          Next step 45 pilot jets and 145 mains.
                          Hopefully, I will get the factory set fuel jets to move today also. (I pulled the lead plugs yesterday)

In Daylight:

Daniel
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2011, 12:46 AM.

Comment

She looked nice with the stock airbox...

But, she got a new set of pods on her today!

Pic's tomorrow...

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

Pic's tomorrow...
                              What a teaser!
                              GS850GT

Comment

She was dirty and I even took the camera on the ride. Just camera shy.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                                X