1980 GS550L - Sat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550L - Sat

Recently purchased a 1980 GS550L, had been sitting in a garage for 4 years. Cleaned it up, put new battery on it, cleaned carbs. Lights work. I push the start button and theres no click. Starter/Solenoid relay? Another observation is the neutral light is not on. I do know I'm in neutral. Assume thats a bulb issue right?

Well, it check if it is the solenoid, you can use a screwdriver to short between the two poles with the key on and the switch in the run position. If the motor turns over, it is likely a bad solenoid, if it doesn't, then there is something else wrong.

As for the neutral, it could be a bad bulb or one of the wires not connected.

Comment

Did you verify the fuses were good? Don't just visually check them, take a power light and look at each one starting with the main fuse. That one should have power on the left side with the ignition off and power on both sides with it on. The others will have power once the ignition switch is turned on.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. JStones,

It could be that your starter button needs to be cleaned. Actually, it's a good idea to clean the entire wiring harness and get rid of 30 years of corrosion. Clean all the connections, connectors, grounds, the fuse box, the ignition switch, from the headlight bucket to the tail light. Make sure the solenoid is well-grounded.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Update

Thank you all for your responses. Here is where I am at.

I replaced the Solenoid and no change.

Using a screwdriver touching both sides of solenoids does start the bike right up.

Still no click or anything for that matter when I press the start button (Clutch held in)

I checked every fuse, all are good. Everything works except this start button.

Is there a safety switch I need to look into? Possibly just a bad button?

Comment

It is possibly a bad button, or a loose wire somewhere in the wire loom. The clutch switch closes the circuit, that allows for the start button to send power to the solenoid. Id take the start switch apart and check for continuity between the wire at the solenoid and at the switch. Make sure there is continuity when the clutch lever is pulled back.

Comment

Update***

This is quite a puzzle. Everything works minus this button.

I have power at button and kill switch.

Traced wire to the solenoid.

Fuses are good.

Checked my starter relay ground.

I took apart the clutch switch for a second time and sprayed and cleaned it.

The wire travels from the start button to the headlamp. from the headlamp to the clutch switch. The one thing I havent done is tear the headlight bucket apart. How involved is this?

Any other ideas while I dive into this tonight?

Comment

The bucket isn't that involved but make sure you label ALL wires and really look at your wiring diagram when you start disconnecting things.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                X