Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop or Go?

Hey guys,

Wasn't quite sure where to put this question so I figured this is the best place.

Quick background: Bought a 78 GS550E a week ago and have been in the process of pulling it apart to do a budget project (I know, oxymoron). This is my first project bike, and went into it fairly blind. Either way, it seems I've hit my first speed bump and I need to know if it his is a deal breaker or not.

I sat on my bike for the first time since I began removing parts from the bike and I realized that I felt WAY too crunched up. My plans had been to make my own seat, which would probably be only a third-ish of the thickness of the stock seat. This would help a little as I'm currently sitting right on the frame. I've also read about rearsets (not entirely sure how these affect the ride position, though i suspect these might help a little -- could someone explain this a bit more?)

I also ordered drag bars, which is why my hands are hovering in the air to mimic the position they'd be in once I added the drag bars.

Is this bike just to small for me? I'm about 6'1. Or is there a solution I'm missing here.

Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2011, 11:33 PM.

Have you tried putting any padding or anything down to replicate the seat height? That will move your elbows away from your knees a little bit.

Do a google search for Raask rear sets (they make a lot of models, but I've heard the quality is junk). They may make them for your bike so you can have an idea of where your feet would be with them.

Comment

Made a seat out of some real estate signs, a baseball mitt, and a wash pad. Seemed reasonably thick enough, helped a little but not a whole lot.

Comment

Perhaps use a phonebook to get the height and position back from the tank (where you find the right position with the foam compressed) decided, and from there viability as well. If that gets you somewhere, consider a custom foam job where the seat is a bit wider and the front of the seat is also thicker to seat you back a bit. Also as others have suggested, rearsets may help, as long as it doesnt force your knee to be at too acute an angle, as i've heard from some lanky buggers that this can cause cramping/other problems if set up incorrectly. I have not got this problem as on some bikes i have enough of an issue just reaching the ground with more than tippy toes.

Further to this, i've had a look, and it seems viable. Here's a link from an Australian seat re uphoulsterer's FAQ to give you an idea, it looks feasable, you just have to find someone a little more local to do it.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2011, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I hate to say it but I think you are a bit too tall to make the ergos work. With a lowered seat, putting on rearsets is going to raise your legs and cramp your whole leg. I can't see this being comfortable for any length of time.

I would caution you to think this out very carefully as you can do yourself some damage, as I myself did. Back five years now I was building an XS650, originally as a cafe type but I found the drop bars to put too much strain on my old back ( in my fifties and 5'10") so I converted to the more upright "tracker" style. I got the bike completed but only enjoyed it for a couple of months. The seat I built out of fiberglass was as hard as a plank even with 2" of firm foam and sitting on it caused me to compress the sciatic nerve in the left buttock. Let me tell you if you've never experienced a sciatic injury you are so lucky as the pain is beyond excrutiating. I couldn't walk or sit properly for 3 months or more, lost a season of riding and still have nerve damage in my left leg (can't feel my baby toes).

The body isn't meant to sit in these unnatural positions and while you may not injure yourself (and I hope you don't) it will be uncomfortable and will take away from the enjoyment of riding the bike. Just something to think about.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

Thanks for the honest reply Spyug. That's kinda what I needed to hear i guess..

One more thought, if I were to get stiffer/higher rear springs would that help? I'm thinking, this would raise the rear of the bike and thus my seating position. Though I imagine this would affect the rake and the entire geometry overall...

What steps would you suggest from here? I'd prefer not to have to sell the bike but obviously my current plans are out the door. Any thoughts on what to do with the bike?

The rise of the stock handlebars are a bit better than the positioning of the drag bars, but don't like the feel or look. I may end up keeping those and just using the bike as a beater bike? But that's no fun, and no way to treat any bike haha. I'm willing to change the plans, not fully committed yet.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2011, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Well I'm not saying don't do it, just think it through. You could continue with the seat and drag bars but I'd leave the rear sets out of it for now. Do the build in stages and maybe start with the drag bars. Guesstimating is fine to a point but you really need the bars in place as it will help you in the dimensions you'll need for the seat. You may find that drag bars are not going to work with the tank perhaps ( they are not comfortable either)and that will cause you to rethink again. In a few of my builds, I changed course more than a few times and that is common in customizing as you will find out.

As I've chopped up a few bikes now, I'd also recommend that if you take parts off and chop the frame abit do it in a way that you can reverse it to stock if necessary. You may build the seat and find that it really doesn't suit you after all so it would be advantageous if you can put the old one back on. Think ahead a little bit. Nothing worse than cutting something off and throwing it away then realizing a few months later that was a mistake and the bike is now unuseable.

There are lots of things you can do to personalize it any you are only limited by your imagination, skills and pocket book so have some fun with it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,
              spyug

Comment

to replicate drag bars stick a broom handle in the clamps i just installed mine and its a bit more forward then where your hand are. also for the seat if you are going custom once you get your bars see where you are most comfortable close to tank or further away you can build a bump to keep you in that spot. im 6'4 and on my 750 with stock seat and drag bars im way more comfortable than with stock bars. remember you can rotate shifter and rear brake levers up or down to make it more comfy/right

Comment

Originally posted by Dodik View Post
                  to replicate drag bars stick a broom handle in the clamps i just installed mine and its a bit more forward then where your hand are. also for the seat if you are going custom once you get your bars see where you are most comfortable close to tank or further away you can build a bump to keep you in that spot. im 6'4 and on my 750 with stock seat and drag bars im way more comfortable than with stock bars. remember you can rotate shifter and rear brake levers up or down to make it more comfy/right
                  Thanks for the info Dodik, will keep ya'll posted. Hopefully it will be coming by Monday and we can see how this all plays out. I'll definitely see about adjusting the shifter/rear brake too!

Comment

Even with drag bars, your hands will be a few inches forward of where you are holding them in your photo. I'm 6'2" and am comfortable on my '78 550 with Tarozzi rearsets (the brake and shift levers are adjustable) and narrowed drag bars. I originally used clip-on bars, but found them too low for comfort, except on the highway. Also, I have a seat that raises me 2 or 3 inches above the frame, like the stock seat, so my legs aren't bent too much. See my album for photos.

Comment

Well you're never going to be 100% comfortable on anything remotely cafe style but I would have thought with junior ace bars and rearsets you would be ok. I'm 6'1" and been there done that on several 550s and it works ok. Up to a point (but it's all about style anyway isn't it - if you wanted comfort you would be hunting a king and queen).
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                      X