Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS750 project restore

Hey all,
    My project has just begun so i will likely be a while before its completed. I will update the thread as I go. This is a77 GS 750 that was given to me by my father-in-law after it had sat in a storage in Illinois for 28 years. When i first got it i went ahead and rebuilt the carbs, but had no compression in cyl 2, so it went into my shed until i had the time to do a tear down. Well after it came back into the garage, i did another compression test to re-verify results... compression came back to #2 with 140-150 psi across the board! Fantastic I thought, so threw a charge on the new battery, some fresh gas in the tank and started it up! Sounded really rough and after a heat check of the headers i discoverd cyl 2 was not firing. I had done a spark test while doing compression check and had good spark. Well this time i checked it for longer than a few seconds and the spark on #2 became sporadic, sometimes not firing for more than 5-10 seconds. So next on the list will be to check out the 2/3 coil. it seems likely that a wire trim or new boot will be necessary.

any way, here are some pics for the mean time..

here is what i am starting with

i do have the side covers and airbox, but they were removed when i rebuilt the carbs last year

started cleaning up the headers..

do you think these wheels will clean up okay?

I do plan on replacing the spokes with some stainless pieces from Buchannan's

thats all i have for now, had to mess with my commuter which is a 84 honda XL350. petcock screw came loose and dumped nearly a gallon of fuel before i could get it stopped

Hopefully I will have more tomorrow evening. I want to get the other 2 headers cleaned up, troubleshoot the ignition, then pull the rest of the exhaust and wheels.

Not sure yet how far i am going to go this time around, possibly get it cleaned up to servicable status and ride it. I do still plan on pulling the motor to get it cleaned up as well.

Regards,
    Whiskey
    Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2011, 10:35 PM.

Howdy, if I may ask, how did you clean your headers?

Comment

That's gonna be a great project! I'll second the question...what did you use to get the header cleaned/polished??
      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Welcome!

Looks like you've got a good start there! I bet it'll run pretty good once you get the standard maintenance done and cyl#2 figured out.

Comment

Working...
        X