Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS425 build.

Hi to all!
    This is my first post and my first suzuki. I have been twisted up in the world of the SOHC hondas for some time now but very excited to get involved with a twin.
    I can already tell how great of a community you all have built here. i have already found some incredible information (like cliffs list of hundreds of manuals!)
    So anyway i thought id let you all see the progress on this new project. after reading a little it seems that the 425 is fairly rare and sought after by the right people and until a few weeks ago i had never even heard of it. so that totally excites me i love having something a little different. but basically a co worker buys and sells lots of bikes and came across it and picked it up with a seized motor. stripped it down, rebuilt it bored cylinders, hi comp pistons, and a new set of cams (apparently hi performance as well.) nothing to rock the block but definately a fun machine he says. well after stripping it down and doing the motor work he got into a few other projects(GPZ turbo) and its been sitting around for a few months in the shop. So i told him id take it off his hands and see what i could make happen. it was in a few seperate boxes and i got around to putting the pieces of the puzzle together today. Im already in love with the bike and i havent even heard it run. im going to try to post pictures if it lets me. take a look and tell me what you think.
    cheers!

Hey welcome! I agree this site has great members and SO much info, just use the search link before you post a question, many times its been answered a few times over. I am new here and found that out quick, so much great info!

I have a 425 also, and from what I can tell its pretty rare,only made in 79...just getting mine started again after sitting for 27 years in a shed....pysched!!

Comment

Threw on shocks and wheels and laid the tank and tail on to get an idea of the overall look

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Laid out most of the parts that were all thrown in a bin.

Even has new fork boots and the chrome looks pretty great considering age and outside storage.

No pictures while working but heres how she sits at the end of tonight.

Wiring everything up will be tomorrow then checking the valves. he said he cut new valve seats and they tightened up so it cant be run till then.
      oh and one carb has a 125 main and the other a 150. so jets will be in order. the bike also has a 2 into 1 pipe. and emgo front fairing im not to fond of that might go on a honda 550 instead.
      Til tomorrow good night and good luck!

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for sharing your progress, should be a neat 425 once you're done.

That engine looks nice and clean too.

The chrome on mine isn't even 1/100th as good as yours and it's been stored in my garage for a few years...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I agree with Pete the engine looks great... I hated cleaning mine. I will have to say I hate that tail. I would be cutting it down alot. Then again that is my opinionl. Have fun and welcome to the wonderful world of GSR.

Paul

Comment

Welcome to the GSR!

It looks as though you will indeed have a neat little scoot when finished!

If you are planning on doing some chopping of the fender and such, it may be a good idea to see if there is anyone needs a stock one before breaking out the cutting tools. You never know, there might be a sweet fender with your name on it in trade for a stock piece.

Welcome once again, best of luck, and keep us updated!

Comment

yea im not sure how much i like the tail. i like the style just not the length. and ill need to find a way to mount up a tail light to it since i think ill be getting rid of the chrome fender. now im off to search for a wiring diagram.

Comment

Looks like BassCliff hasn't stumbed across this to give you your mega welcome yet, but check his site, more than likely one of the 400/450 manuals will have your diagram in it.

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Welcome to a great forum. Nice to see fellow 425 guy out there.
                  regards
                  Z

Comment

Working...
                  X