Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

79 GS850 Streetfighter/Modernized Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
    Damb Aussies. Yes.

cg
    Hahha... you love us
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Well my battery finally showed up. Terminals are reversed. Oh well, I'll make it work. FML...

Dropped the oil pan again and realized my error: wrong sized bolts. Didn't realize initially that there are 2 different lengths and ended up putting too long of one on the right rear corner. Got that straightened out and didn't have the balls to put oil in it again; yet.

Taught my g/f to ride the honda tonight. She decided to age me 10 years and pull a 12 foot front tire skid (and recovery!!) when she failed to understand my lecture on "smooth" control of the bike. Other than that, it went well. Now she's really bugging me to finish the GS.

Comment

You need to comply with the lady's wishes and get the 850 done. I personally don't think the 850 is a good bike for her to learn on, although she seems like a ball of fire on the Honda.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

She's going to learn on the Honda to be sure. I don't have the money to get the 850 roadworthy anytime really soon, so no worries there. I just have to keep the keys to the CBR hidden. She's well experienced with the handling characteristics of a bike, we've done some pretty intense mountain roads 2 up and left some solo riders in the dust.

Fortunately, she's smart enough to understand that on anything more powerful, she would have wrecked from locking up the front brake and then accidentally WOT when she got knocked off balance. So she's ok with the little 17hp beast for now.

Comment

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

It lives. Sort of. Starter and solenoid are garbage, gonna be able to skip leg day at the gym after all of the kicking I did to get it started. Runs for about 2 seconds and dies. Then again I'm running stock jetting and no filters at all, so once I get that straightened out, should be able to make some tuning headway.

Comment

That's a start.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Yeah, I'm insanely excited. All 4 cylinders are firing. The left side was spitting white smoke pretty good when I managed to get it running for about 10 seconds. Cleared out after a few times of getting it running though. Now I can focus on getting it buttoned up without the lingering thought of "Hmmmm, is it going to run after I put all this time and money into putting it back together?"

Comment

Originally posted by cal_look_zero View Post
                  Yeah, I'm insanely excited. All 4 cylinders are firing. The left side was spitting white smoke pretty good when I managed to get it running for about 10 seconds. Cleared out after a few times of getting it running though. Now I can focus on getting it buttoned up without the lingering thought of "Hmmmm, is it going to run after I put all this time and money into putting it back together?"
                  Like I said before, I'd be willing to come up to G.P with my Morgan Carbtune and give you a hand with the sync. I'm no expert but I do have the tool. I can relate to the excitement of hearing it fire for the first time. I have an 1100g which soon will be at that point.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                    Like I said before, I'd be willing to come up to G.P with my Morgan Carbtune and give you a hand with the sync. I'm no expert but I do have the tool. I can relate to the excitement of hearing it fire for the first time. I have an 1100g which soon will be at that point.

cg
                    I may have to take you up on that when I get to that point. I'm waiting on payday (that always seems too far away) to get my jets and filters from 7981GS before I try any tuning.

I'll throw a few more pictures up tonight when I boot up my other computer.

Comment

I may have to take you up on that when I get to that point. I'm waiting on payday (that always seems too far away) to get my jets and filters from 7981GS before I try any tuning.

I'll throw a few more pictures up tonight when I boot up my other computer.

Just let me know. Will work something out. GP isn't that far away on my 650g and I need am excuse to leave town. Pictures would be good.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

Ignore the mountain bike handlebars... They were all I had laying around that I could mount controls to. Points cover and tank are getting repainted after my little oopsie. Which reminds me; I have the kickstand on now!

Comment

I'd say that's a helva improvement just painting the tank and getting it mounted. Those pipes seem pretty clean. Won't be long. Just limited by paydays, I'm sure, if your like me.

cg
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g

Comment

Last year when I was working on the road, I had more money than I knew what to do with. No time to do anything though. Now I have all the time I need, and no money.

Comment

After about a month of working, collecting parts, and troubleshooting; I finally start and run my 1979 GS850. It's still got a long ways to go

Oh boy. Might need a set of rings. Looooots of blowby coming out of the left side exhaust.

Both of my exhausts are totally blown out. I had the idle cranked up, and when I finally got it to run, there was an amazing amount of rusty nastiness coming out of both pipes. And guess what dummy decided to do that stunt in his freshly swept and mopped (yes I'm a wee bit OCD) garage?

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao-RybIRvC0

Oh boy. Might need a set of rings. Looooots of blowby coming out of the left side exhaust.

Both of my exhausts are totally blown out. I had the idle cranked up, and when I finally got it to run, there was an amazing amount of rusty nastiness coming out of both pipes. And guess what dummy decided to do that stunt in his freshly swept and mopped (yes I'm a wee bit OCD) garage?

looks like all it needs is the hell run outta it... cant wait to see the end result though!

Comment

Working...
                                X