'85 GS550L Bee Bobber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'85 GS550L Bee Bobber

My first bike was a '85 GS550L which I still have (black one below). It died about two years ago prompting me to purchase a more reliable daily driver ('00 Honda Shadow-Love this thing). I gave the bike to my dad but he wanted something a little bigger so it made it's way back to my driveway this summer. We've previously gotten it to run after turning over and over and over.... I have yet to try again, but I'm planning to check/clean the carbs and look for air leaks first. Here's the fun part, while trolling the local craigslist in January of this year I came across another '85 GS550L with toasted electrics (orange one below) and got it delivered to my place for $300 (even had a title). So now I have two problematic GS550's, YAY! Since I bought the last one I have been collecting parts from ebay including a complete wiring harness and another set of coils. The orange 550 didn't come with an ignitor (sigh...) and the black one is a little beat up so I'm not-so-patiently waiting for spyug to see if the 750 setup can replace the sh!tty stock setup (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=175784).

So the plan thus far is to turn the orange 550 into a bobber and fix up the black 550 enough for it to be a reference bike during the build (spare parts if needed) and eventually sell it if the bobber project works out. In the past two months, weather permitting (no garage ) I've tore the bike down to the frame.

Then everything was moved into the basement so I can work on it anytime.

The past few weeks I've been working on stripping the paint from the frame and swingarm.

It's been hard to lock myself in the basement with the weather finally getting nice and taking the Shadow out whenever possible, but it's a start!

Up dates!?

Comment

Updates HAHAH nice one!

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
        Updates HAHAH nice one!
        ....did i miss something?

Comment

I think Jeep was referring to the fact the thread started way back in May and the guy hasn't been on here in over 6 weeks so an update is probably not possible. With that said, I'm curious if he continued on his bobber quest or if, like many bobber projects, it stalled and nothing else was done.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yah sorry I actually thought the poster had not been on for months.
            I is alos odd that a poster would start with pics then just vanish.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              I'm curious if he continued on his bobber quest or if, like many bobber projects, it stalled and nothing else was done.
              It's probably about time to hit him up for that stator.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ahhh...i get ya guys now. ya i saw the date and figured he just didnt up date...worth a shot right??

Comment

Working...
                X