No announcement yet.

GS1100G Cafe Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan-friggin-tastic news! I bet that puts a smile on your face! And yea, the more you button up, the better she'll run.

Comment

Bravo, Bravo, that is sweet, it sounds healthy enough and looks the part too, more more more, we want more.

Comment

Woohoooo! Nice work!

First successful start feels fantastic don't it?
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hahah thanks guys. Yeah I was dancing around the garage like a school girl.

I just love how easily it starts up. Not much to go before I have it ready for roadworthy. I am going to take it out for a quick spin up the street just to make sure everything is in order.
          Will take a vid, and you will finally get to see my ugly mug.

What rotors and calipers are you using on it?
          I'm using some Kawasaki ZG1000 calipers and roters are from ebay (to suit a CBR900RR) check out Salty Monk's posts for brake upgrades.

The bike looks great! It'll idle much better with the pods on. GS's don't like to run with unfiltered air. But I'm sure you already knew that.
          Yeah, once the pods were on it ran alot better. Very happy.

First successful start feels fantastic don't it?
          Sure does pete.....Even better, is that i know that all my custom wiring loom was done to perfection. Very happy with myself.
          U started yours yet?

Comment

I did give it that 15 minute run where I found the intake leaks and where it's jetted way too lean, but I haven't fired it up since.

That should be changing real soon though

sigpic

Comment

Nice to hear a voice to the thread you've been following so long, that is both you and the bike. I hope to hear my 1100g rumble to life this winter. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Cheers!

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

That looks and sounds great! Not much left to do now
                GS850GT

Comment

Been working franticly on the bike....its that annoying work that never gets done and I keep putting it off.

I've been mounting the rear guard for the past 2 days. I took the stock guard and cut it down, along with the steel bracket behind it that is used to bolt it to the frame.
                  When I was working on the frame before powdercoat i welded two tabs on the back for the rear guard. Seemed to work out ok.
                  This guard is coming right off once roadworthy is done, but I need it for roadworthy. Looks ok with the seat on.
                  Mounted the rear light and indicators, got em all hooked up.
                  I also had to install the speedometer magnet to the wheel and epoxy'd a magnet to the disc.
                  Ran the Tach cable for my trailtech dash.
                  It wraps a cable around the sparkplug cable and picks up the pulse to guesstimate the RPM. its totally ****ting me, I cant get it perfect but its pretty close. Jumps around too much in my opinon. I dont really use a tach on my R6, I just go by ear, so I dont really need it.
                  Installed some breathers for the carbs...
                  and I also wirewheeled the header and painted them flame proof black. Also mounted the muffler that Maduncle gave me. It fits nice now. Sounds much quietter and idles alot smoother....

All I have left now is to install the new small battery I have (still doing some testing) and screw the seat on and she's ready for Roadworthy (hopefully this week).
                  I will be getting a seat pan with red leather cushion made up, but more on that later

Some pics, nothing special, just coz i know everyone likes pics. Excuse the mess, garage is normally very clean, but I was a bit fed-up and tired.

Comment

Ok guys, need some help.

I finally got into a position to take the old girl out for the first time (just up the road and back).
                    Was amazing, she's got lots of power and is roaring to be ridden. Only issue is that I couldnt get out of first gear. Got from neutral to first no worries, clicked in with a nice THUD. Clutch works as expected, but when i was riding I couldnt click into second. I changed the location of the linkage rod about 5 times thinking it may be in a bad torque position, but this did not help.

I cant click through the gears when im just sitting in the garage either.
                    Can anyone help please, I gave up tonight coz i was damn tired and thought it may be best to sleep on it.

Cheers guys.

Comment

I would look at the lever position and adjustment first.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Mate, I just got to see your video.
                        Sensational! How meaty does that thing sound. hahaha.

Comment

You sure your clutch is working ok?

Does the lever move but the gearbox doesn't engage?

I'm wondering if it's just not behaving from sitting for so long and is it just stiff and needing some exercise?

Don't know how your shifting is set up, but the heim joints on mine are so worn it is letting the lever hit the rod before it changes down a gear, or if I adjust it so that works, I can't get my toe enough leverage to change up a gear.

sigpic

Comment

Nice to see a big shafty gettin' the cafe treatment!
                            I looked at your post #123 and your forward shift bracket is off square to your shift rod. Set both forward and aft brackets square to the rod and it should shift fine, (you may have to lengthen the rod again) unless the problem is in the transmission. Hope this helps, as I don't know what your setup looks like since that posting.
                            81 GS1100e
                            83 GS1100e
                            67 Norton P11(someday soon I'm gonna kick it alive and ride it!)
                            A couple of KZ400's
                            Be Here Now Until You're There Then

Comment

windcrow is quite correct.
                              Look at the bad angle of the shifter pawl:

Perhaps just moving it clock-wise a tooth or two might cure it.

Daniel

Comment

Fixed and fixed.
                                I ended up draining the oil (seemed safer! hehe)

Number 27 was not lined up with the cog properly. I had to pull it out of the way, click the cog up with a screw driver and then lock it in.
                                Clicks through all gears.
                                Ahhh yeah, took her out for a decent ride today for teh first time ever (1 year of building)..

Thanks for the great help though...

Oh, the lever has changed since that pic, its moved clockwise to maximise torque!

Comment

Working...
                                X