I'm so close to being at that same point... so close... but not quite

Do you have video to share? Would love to see how she rides
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

So the shifter pawl was mis-aligned from center? How did that happen?

Daniel

Comment

Bike booked in for RWC Saturday.

They told me the tires dont have to come off (this is for a car only)..phew!

Here is a video of my Cafe Racer!

Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2011, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
          Bike booked in for RWC Saturday.

They told me the tires dont have to come off (this is for a car only)..phew!
          Man it's early here and maybe I am not awake yet but I don't understand that comment, can you explain?
          Whats RWC and why were you worried your tires have to come off?
          Is it an inspection and on a car they have to pull the wheels to check the brakes (but not on a bike)?

Comment

Spot on, HD.

RWC = Road Worthy Certificate.

Without one you don't get your bike registered.

Comment

Awesome!!! Bet you were happy to get that little run in

Thanks for posting the vid, extra inspiration for me to get mine sorted! Nearly there...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                So the shifter pawl was mis-aligned from center? How did that happen?

Daniel
                I'd like to know as well. I've got one of these with the same symptoms.
                Great you have it fixed!

Charlie G
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Nice video! The bike sounds great, and is looking pretty good too. How many horses would you estimate to be putting out?

Gotta ask though, you have plans for a seat or is the subframe just fine?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                    I'd like to know as well. I've got one of these with the same symptoms.
                    Great you have it fixed!

Charlie G
                    Ok so its probably human error.
                    I think what happend is that when I put that paw back in (it does look like a paw!) it wasn't lined up properly, but it was on enough to engage the gear.
                    I tried to get it in a few times but it wouldn't line up.

So I got a flat head screwdriver
                    and clicked the sproket (number 5 in the picture) forward a few times, which actually changes the gears. once i moved it all the way down, I then slid the paw right in...and tested it, and it worked fine.

I have some carb issues now though.
                    I took the bike out for another ride last night to shake out the spedo calibrations I made.
                    after about 5 mins i pulled over and the thing was idling at like 5k RPM. I got off, adjusted the idle screw, and it did nothing.
                    was scratching my head......its done this before too but it sorted itself out.

I went home and double checked everything. I know this may be cuased by a vaccume leak, but there was none i could see...
                    I havnt rebuilt my carbs yet. I'm actually scared to tackle it. I've read the carb rebuild thread bout 100 times but there are so many bits and pieces, im really scared i'll f** something up. I might just have to do it.

I have new carb boots and orings so its not leaking from there!

I've had to cancel my RWC appointment because I forgot me and my mates are going rally driving (with real rally cars) this weekend. woot woot!
                    Next week it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                      Nice video! The bike sounds great, and is looking pretty good too. How many horses would you estimate to be putting out?

Gotta ask though, you have plans for a seat or is the subframe just fine?
                      This is the seat I have for the GS. This pic was taken a long long time ago !

Comment

That suits..
                        I still have to find that weekend free and come up mate.

Comment

trying to come up with a seat for mine! you guys are so inspirational right now!!

Thinking of leaving stock foot peg location because im not too good at fabing stuff...

Comment

Very nice mindtrip!

The only issue I had with the stock footpeg locations is that with the different seat, i was sitting further back than standard.
                            Which made the foot pegs very uncomfortable.
                            also the brake lever adn gear changer is alot further forward so its awkward.

If you are afraid of fabbing up (which is fair enough, I was really scared to do it, and im terrible at fabrication!) you can buy rear sets that push back the location of the pegs for the GS1100 that are bolt on. Let me know if u want more info, they are not cheap though!

Also, as for the seat. I tried 3 times to make a seat, I failed miserbly every time so I dropped 150 bux on a plastic seat from ebay. Needs a little fudging to fit but its fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                              Spot on, HD.

RWC = Road Worthy Certificate.

Without one you don't get your bike registered.
                              Ooooohhhhh. Thats what I thought but wanted to be sure
                              There is times I wish they'd start the inspection back up here... to many POS's on the road.

Comment

No inspections?
                                Aah the halcyon days of shoving any engine you could find into any frame it would fit into..

Comment

Working...
                                X