• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
    Wow!
    That looks brilliant, mate.
    Can't wait to see it complete.
    2:41am? Oh, 3:41am your time

Glad to see you posting Leigh, haven't heard from you for a while! You need to get the fat girl thread up and running again... making her the not so fat girl...

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
    Thanks mate!
    I just spent a whole 12 hours working on the bike (12 hours straight!)
    Tieing up some lose ends.

Hooked up the horn
    Fitted OEM clutch cover gasket (no oem one was leaking!...)
    Fabricated mounts for the battery (to go under the seat)
    Drilled out the seat to mount the seat pan
    Welded two nuts on the frame for the seat to bolt into (shoulda done it b4 powder coat, but was very small and hidden)
    Fixed up the choke rod (i had the choke and spring in the wrong spot
    Installed choke cable with new choke mechanisim

Installed 140 main jets from 142 (bike was rich)
    Took her out for a spin, Started right up first crank (on choke) warmed her up and took her out for a decent ride....)

Pulls alot harder with the 140 main jets and is very very smooth through all gears. Very happy with it. Its pretty much ready to go in for a rwc test. Might go this week. See how we go!
    Mate that's awesome news! Hopefully you can find a RWC guy like the guy I got. He seemed to know walking in what he was looking at and it was real easy. Some basic checks and I had my safety certificate in my hand.

Glad to see you got the little bits sorted, they always seem to take the most time.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took the bike to the shops to get a bulb for the indicator. When I got back I looked at the bike and there was smoke pouring from under the seat...

Had a look the battery was bubling and leaking fluid and lots of smoke.
      I grabbed the fire extinguisher just in case but threw some water on it to cool it all down.
      It came down quickly enough and i pulled it off...the battery is fried...(still gives power though! haha..

I think this is a R/R problem. Too much current going to the battery.
      The fuse should have blown, but the fuse is 30A.....It was blowing 15A fuses and i was told to put a bigger fuse in as its normal to run 30A between the R/R and the battery.
      Looks like there was a problem after all...

The R/R is a honda Sh232 one. Time to do some research. And now i need a new battery. No Roadworthy this week as I thought

Comment

darn lucky nothing exploded!
        GS850GT

Comment

Indeed. Very happy nothing else was damaged. Just have to do some research now and work out what actually happend...

Fried my brand new sycl Battery...darn it.

Comment

Sorry to hear the bad news mate. I think my bike had the same issue awhile ago as it had the acid burn marks down the rear of the engine.

Are the sealed batteries the best for not leaking acid.

If you want I have an old Rectifier/Regulator with the wires cut you can have. I am unsure what condition it is in. How do you check them again.
            GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
            1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
            1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Ah thanks ged...
              Its my own fault, I assumed the R/R i bought was in good working order as per sellers info, didn't really do a proper test.
              So not only do I lose a 100 dollar r/r, but my 200 dollar battery!

Its a deep cycle battery, allows for tiny batteries with massive crank. Their website says under no condition will they catch fire, so thats a good thing! lol but its well and truly stuffed.

Comment

oh PS. Thanks for the offer, I have a spare one (original tiny one) that I will hook up to test if it works, but I'll be buying a new one (probably brand new this time)..

Comment

Mate that's a real bugger! I got a cheap dodgy Taiwanese or Chinese one off eBay that was something like $16 or $17 including postage and so far so good.

It's at least a 6 wire and is a bit bigger than the old knackered Suzuki one.

I'll just keep an eye on it until I get my voltage monitor hooked up and then I can monitor it as I ride.

Bugger on the battery too! Was that a Shorai one? Can't remember what you got now exactly but I know it was a good one...
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I would carefully check all of the wires/plugs in your harness for signs melting also.

Daniel

Comment

Hey Daniel,
                      Yeah I did that already. Lucky for me, it was only the cable from the R/R to the battery that was a little hot...didn't even melt. It was a short ride and I didn't tap in the R/R to the fusebox, just ran an inline fuse.

I posted this problem in the electrical area, and it turns out the fault is mine.
                      With the Honda SH232, I didn't tap in the sense wire. I thought, this just tells the unit when the bike is on or off. I didn't realise it uses the cable as a guage to how much current is passing through the system and adjusts as required.
                      So the system thought it was getting nothing, hence why it kept pushing current through. Once I plugged it in to the brake light, it instantly stabilised at 14.6 volts through all RPM's.
                      Im spewing I didn't test this earlier.

So I lost a 200 dollar battery in the cause of my stupidity, but could have been worse!
                      I found a guy selling the same battery locally so I'm picking that up tonight.
                      Should be able to go in for RWC tomorrow.

Comment

too bad you couldn't get a replacement battery for the one you cooked, sort of say it was defective....?

Comment

hahaha.
                          That would be dis-honest, something I am very cautious in not being

Comment

I hear ya, I wasn't meaning you to be dishonest, let them make the call if it can be claimed or not, give them the details on what happened, you never know.

Comment

Yeah true, other issue is they are in the states, and it would take a week or two to get it. i really want to try and get this thing registered on the road asap...

Comment

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
                                With the Honda SH232, I didn't tap in the sense wire. I thought, this just tells the unit when the bike is on or off. I didn't realise it uses the cable as a guage to how much current is passing through the system and adjusts as required.
                                So the system thought it was getting nothing, hence why it kept pushing current through.
                                i only realized this accidentally when i unhooked the sense wire to see what happens and the voltage went up to 17V. oops
                                GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                                X