No announcement yet.

GS1100G Cafe Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I was gobsmacked once when I went to Supercheap at Enoggera and got served by a girl who *knew what she was talking about!!!*

They got me today here at Keperra though, walked in and the whole shop had been reorganised since I was last up there, couldn't find a damn thing! Of course the staff didn't know where anything was either

Anyways, the build's looking good, moving along nicely now
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
      Supercheap is best if you know what you need and dont need to talk to anyone!
      While we're on the subject of bitching about Supercheap...

I went there once and asked the staff for what is called a "Liquid rear window demister repair kit."
      Girl: "We don't have that."
      Me: "I think I've seen it a few weeks ago somewhere here at this shop."
      Girl: "I don't think we've ever had anything like that."
      Me: "I'm pretty sure I've seen it here and that that's what it was called, could you possibly check?"
      Girl: (checks the computer) "Sorry Sir, can't find it. But let me check with the manager, we may be able to order it in for you.
      Girl: (Calls the manager on the phone and afterwards says to me): "No, we definitely don't have that product nor can we get it in, I'm very sorry".
      Me: "OK, thank you."

I spend next ten minutes browsing the store and sure enough I find it, a small bottle of copper like fluid called "Liquid rear window demister repair kit".

I take it to the counter and show it to the girl. Without even a blink she says "Oh... So, do you want to take it?".
      Me: "I sure do want to take it, but you may want to let your manager know what products he's got in store and he may want his staff get aquainted with the stocked products too".

DUH!
      Last edited by psyguy; 06-20-2011, 03:04 AM.
      GS850GT

Comment

Yikes.

My local supacheap went up in a fire a year ago. That sucks as the old hands at the store were great/the exception to the rule i mentioned earlier (especially the hispanic lady whom worked there full time for the 8+ years i have lived here) and they always had something intelligent to say to help *sigh*.

There's a repco a bit further away, not quite as thorough / random with what they stock as the supacheap was, but still the staff are pretty good too. Even the guys that work at repco complain about "well we used to have that, but we don't stock it any more". They've gone from a Mitre10 to a bunnings of auto parts.

Comment

Update time :
          All the silver bits of the engine have been polished. I'll put up some pics of them later...
          Bike has been broken down into pieces for powder coater to give it some nice Powder.

I have 2 questions...

1 - When powdercoating, how do they ensure that the powdercoat doesnt gum up all the threads on the bike (swingarm, engine mount threads etc)...Should I mark out what needs to be 'masked up'...

2 - The compliance plate that is on the neck of the bike is sort of riveted in (but its not a pop rivet) looks like a closed pop rivet, does that need to come off before sandblast and powdercoat. I obviously need this plate, but can they mask over it or shoudl I remove it...If i remove it, do i just pop rivet it back on? and if so, will the pop rivets interfere with the tripple tee neck?...

Here are some pictures to keep you entertained :

New mini indicator switches :

New headlight :

My new sandblaster

Clubmans :

Indicator switch on clubmans

New petcock!:

My new Dash:

Comment

I like all the new goodies, going to look good whe it all comes together.
            As for the powder coating, it is best to screw old bolts into the threaded holes to stop the powder from gumming them up, just remove when you get the frame back, things like the steering head can just be taped off, and don't forget the hole for the rear brake lever shaft, it fits snug in there and if you get powder in there you will have to spend a whole bunch of time cleaning it out.
            Some people just chase the threads clean with a tap when they get the frame back.

I would imagine you could remove the two little pins holding the plate on without too much trouble, and yes, just pop rivet it back on, it won't interfere with anything, not sure what your law says about having it, as the frame number is stamped on the neck anyway, I know my plate has been gone for years, no problems with the law here.

Comment

Thanks Flyboy.

Oh I forgot all about the Torque Arm! Ill get onto that.
              I could chase the threads with a tab, but the rear swingarb bolts are HUGE. I dont have a tap anywhere near that size....
              I think I'll just screw in the bolts for the rear swingarm...The engine bolts will be a bit tricky to leave in there though, as they are quite long...

I have to have my compliance plate on the bike, its legally required, but I'll pull it off tonight and rivet it back on when its back

Comment

Not only the torque arm, but the hole where the actual shaft for the rear brake pedal goes through.
                You may just want to pop down to your local supply store and pick up some short bolts with the same thread as your engine bolts to screw in there, can't cost more than a buck or two, surely.
                Yeah the swing arm slugs on the shafties are huge, I would have probably left mine in, but I am too paranoid about them going missing at the powder coaters, but that is just me, maybe leave them in and let the guy know, they better still be there under threat of mutilation and death if they are not.

that is why I went with 2K instead of powder in the end, much less fuss, and it cures just as hard, also easier to touch up and maintain, if you do get a scratch on it, powder tends to chip off in pieces.
                And the 2K shines just as goos as powder, check my rebuild thread and see how my frame came out, I am quite happy.

Comment

Ah ok,
                  With the brake pedal, I'm not actually using it, that entire part has been cut off the frame. I've replaced the rear sets with GSXR rearsets and removed any piece that is not required...

Hmm now u got me thinking if I should go 2Pak.....
                  Damn you flyboy!

Comment

For what it's worth, powder would have worked out cheaper for me, all the time and materials to strip the frame, then the cost of the paint, it added up to more than powder would have cost me.
                    But i am glad I went that route.

Comment

Hey just a word of caution on those mini switches, they look good and do the job but the chrome tops rust in no time... A friend of mine has them on his bike.
                      GS850GT

Comment

I like powdercoated frame as due to its thickness compared to the paint, it gives the frame a more solid appearance.
                        GS850GT

Comment

Thanks psyguy. I think I will be painting these covers in....Chrome paint..hehe so they dont rust

Yeah im going back and forth atm with powdercoat or 2K....

Comment

Wow you've been shopping! Haha

What size headlight is that? 7 inch? If so, where'd you get it? And is it a standard H4 bulb?

I'm liking what you're doing
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Looks like a fun project. Looking forward to watching the progress...

Comment

Hey Pete,
                                I've been buying all the parts I need over the last 6 months. Its taken me 6 months to ge the bike to this point. I watch alot of OCC, and I find that they do their first 'mock build' to make sure everything fits, then break it all down, paint and re-assemble.
                                I seen alot of builds where they strip down the bike, get the frame painted and then find some road blocks..

I wanted to make sure I did all the welding and cutting and was happy with the look of the bike before I broke it down.
                                Im glad I did, as I changed alot of things that I was not happy with...Rearsets are a prime example. I'll post some pics later of what had before to show you terrible they looked.

The headlight is a 7 inch. Took me a while to find exactly what I wanted. I got it from modern motorcycle company here in Melbourne. They do alot of cafe builds and have a great little shop. Very nice guys. They sell alot of stuff...

If you want one I am happy to pick one up and send it your way.
                                It does have a H4 bulb (high and low beam).

Comment

Working...
                                X