No announcement yet.

GS1100G Cafe Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watch alot of OCC, and I find that they do their first 'mock build' to make sure everything fits, then break it all down, paint and re-assemble.
    So those idjits were good for something afterall. Actually, they got me started on bike customizing myself. I watched them from the first show and figured if twits like that could do it then so could I. I was halfways right. It took me 2 or 3 bikes to get the hang of it but by the time I got to doing my XS650 Tracker I had it down. I still took me about 10 times longer than the OCC boys to complete it. Mind you I don't have a million dollar shop with milling machines and "flowjets" and 5 axis CNC machines either. I can't believe they are still on TV either since the chopper and custom bike craze seems to have tanked with the economy. The workmanship isn't all that great either from some of the bikes I've seen up close and I've heard some bad things about their business practices too. Well they've made their millions and I haven't so I guess they are a success.

Good work on the project. Who says you don't do a professional job. Looks damn good to me, I'll be following along too.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

Ok, so the bike is all broken down now and ready to send off to the powder coaters (might drop it off tomorrow)
      After much thought and research, I did decide to go for powdercoat. It just seems right in my head.

In Australia, it is a legal requirement to have a rear fender on the bike. I really dont want on there but I'll need it if I want to get the bike registered. Then I can remove it later

Since I cut the frame, there was nowhere for the rear fender to mount to, so I welded some tabs on the back of the frame about 10 mins ago. Came out good.

I also closed the sides of the electrics box which the cafe racer seat will cover...
      I cut off all the tabs I didnt need. Including the where the old brake pedal and master cylinder went, and the mounts for it, the mounts for the airbox, and all the cable holder things. Basically just cleaned up the frame. Makes a big difference. I'm really going for that sleek look.

Enough talking. Pic time...

The polished bits..as promised.

You spotted correctly...The PO really banged this up..Not sure what to do..Might just have to use it.

Atleast this one was ok..

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
        So those idjits were good for something afterall. Actually, they got me started on bike customizing myself. I watched them from the first show and figured if twits like that could do it then so could I. I was halfways right. It took me 2 or 3 bikes to get the hang of it but by the time I got to doing my XS650 Tracker I had it down. I still took me about 10 times longer than the OCC boys to complete it. Mind you I don't have a million dollar shop with milling machines and "flowjets" and 5 axis CNC machines either. I can't believe they are still on TV either since the chopper and custom bike craze seems to have tanked with the economy. The workmanship isn't all that great either from some of the bikes I've seen up close and I've heard some bad things about their business practices too. Well they've made their millions and I haven't so I guess they are a success.

Good work on the project. Who says you don't do a professional job. Looks damn good to me, I'll be following along too.

Cheers,
        Spyug
        Thats Spyug!
        Its nice to see people appreciate my work.
        I think I'm doing an Ok job, but I think there are so many parts of my work that require a little more finesse. My finishing is just not that great. If you look up close to my welds, you'll see that they are not that neat. The thing that sux, is that my last welds (on the tabs for the rear fender) look like someone else did them. They are unreal. I finally go the hang of welding...but I have no more welding to do ! ha!!

Yeah I really like OCC as I find that my learning style is a mimic style. if I see someone doing something, i am able to mimic it almost 100% (except welding!)
        I hate the politics and life drama of the show...that and Biker Build off, great shows I must say..

If I was to do this build again I'd do things quite differently now that I have the experience. I think my next build wil be alot better (better not let the wife hear me say "NEXT BUILD"....

Comment

I finally go the hang of welding...but I have no more welding to do ! ha!!
          Your doing alright, if you are getting some good results you could grind and go back over the rearset mounts. I'm am not being critical but if YOU want it would be a lot easier to clean up the welds before powder coat.

Comment

+1 on the work, I like it, and I think you are doing just fine, following along with great interest, keep it up.

Its just a sticker, rip it off and replace it, they are freely available on fleabay or where ever you get your suzuki parts from, they not outrageously expensive either.

Comment

Mate that's some good progress and nice work on the polishing!

+1 on what Flyboy said, just get a new one or two. Mine seemed to have survived ok and I paint stripped the black off so they have the same polished look as yours.

Cheers for the tip on the headlight, I'll have a look at their site and see what they have to offer.

As to the rear gaurd, yeah, gotta do it for the safety cert... at least with my 450 I need the gaurd for the "look" of the scrambler, so that works well for me anyways
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I called up peter stevens (bike shop) they had the emblem covers in stock with suzuki, so I ordered some
                Had no idea they come right off...

also, just sent my rear wheel for powdercoat, and my worst fears..
                My spline is gone beyond belif!
                Back to ebay I go. lol.

Comment

Score on the emblems, bugger on the splines...

sigpic

Comment

Cant find splines on ebay...what else r they called?

Comment

How much would shipping be to you from the States?
                      I have a few that I could spare.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                        How much would shipping be to you from the States?
                        I have a few that I could spare.

Daniel
                        I had a whole set of forks shipped from the states, And also the whole final drive assembly. Yes, it costs heaps... but we all know addictions are expensive
                        GS850GT

Comment

@7981GS
                          Shipping on Ebay for most parts I ordered (Rearsets, Clutch, dash etc) is always around the $40 dollar mark.
                          I would be more than happy to pay the shipping plus whatever you want on top for the part (or for your trouble).
                          I also noticed it depends on the freight type, wether it be first class or priority.

I'd love to buy it off you....

Comment

Update time.
                            So while the rims and frame are away, I thought it may be a good time to start putting together the engine...
                            I'm replacing everything that can/needs to be replaced, just for good measure...My dad always told me, if you're gonna do something, do it properly once. Actually, dad didn't say that. My dad was the biggest bodge I've ever met, captain shortcut is what I call him!
                            I learnt the hard way (and expensive way) that doing things on the cheap end up costing more....So I guess that was a self lesson! anyway enough rambling.

Parts on the replace list :
                            Stator (mine was working fine, but they are prone to blow)
                            Clutch (not sure if mine was fine, but what the heck - got an EBC clutch kit - will replace tomorrow..)
                            All new gaskets
                            Full stainless hex bolts to replace every bolt on engine covers

I think thats it. So today i put together one side of the engine...i did mange to get new emblem covers. They look a trillion times better. It was a pain to clean the old goo from the old ones, but I just boiled them till they were soft then used goo remover with a blade.

This is just a sneak peak of the engine at the moment, till I get the rest of it together.
                            The stator cover is such a pain to get on without damaging the gasket. I did not use loctite on the bolts yet, so I'll remove one by one and loctite them all (once I am sure I have every bolt in the right spot) as the bolt kit is not labelled, I just had to try and work out what bolt goes where...

enough jabber. pics..
                            Engine before..

New Stator from RMStator

Full gasket kit thanks to my UK buddies. Cant believe what people are trying to charge for individual gaskets. This kit cost me 50 bux.

This side pretty much done..Emblems look schmick.

Comment

Mate that looks good!

Two words of warning... don't use anything but OEM gaskets on the base, and use anti sieze on the SS bolts for the case covers and valve cover, not loctite... you don't want those shiny new SS bolts becoming one with your alloy cases...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X